AIR PROMO Beware

astridwilson

We have three cruises booked with the free/reduced airfare. To me it is worth the risk on all three we fly into NYC two days early with no transfers and no deviation fees. On the cruises that end in Rome and New Orleans we are staying two extra days and the one that ends in Seattle we will fly home the same day we get off the ship because it is a 21 day cruise and as it turns out the cruise ends up with an overnight in Seattle. The flights are so inexpensive compared to if we tried to book directly with the airlines it seems like we just had to try it.

• Like 1

IMHO flying into FLL for a Miami cruise is no big deal - I have done it multiple times.  I live in the NE suburbs of Atlanta and it takes me longer to drive to the Atlanta airport (1 to 1.5 hrs) than it does to get between FLL and Miami port (35-50 min).  Heck Midtown/Downtown Atlanta to the Airport can easily be 35 minutes. 

NCL offer reasonably priced transfers and auto add them when booking the air promo (unless you ask to have removed).  If they have chosen to fly you into FLL over MIA, and you did not request transfers be removed, they should be providing transfers from FLL. 

Additionally there are several private van services that go between FLL and Miami port, that are reasonably priced (such as SAS Transport) or one can choose Uber or Lyft.  

• Like 1

We'll be using the Reduced Air to get from Seattle to NYC for the 21 Day Panama Canal Cruise on Bliss, with a two-day deviation.  I'm hedging my bets and making (refundable) hotel reservations near JFK and LGA for the first day of the deviation (April 17), and (refundable) hotel reservations for downtown on the 18th.  That way, I figure that even if we get a redeye flight on the 17/18th, I'll have time (at least 15 days :-) ) to cancel whatever hotels we won't need.  In the words of one of my favorite book heroes, Jack Reacher -- "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."  

9 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

We'll be using the Reduced Air to get from Seattle to NYC for the 21 Day Panama Canal Cruise on Bliss, with a two-day deviation.  I'm hedging my bets and making (refundable) hotel reservations near JFK and LGA for the first day of the deviation (April 17), and (refundable) hotel reservations for downtown on the 18th.  That way, I figure that even if we get a redeye flight on the 17/18th, I'll have time (at least 15 days 🙂 ) to cancel whatever hotels we won't need.  In the words of one of my favorite book heroes, Jack Reacher -- "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."  

If you have requested a 2 day deviation that means your flights will ARRIVE into the departure port city 2 calendar days early.

So if the cruise starts the 19th you’ll arrive anytime on the 17th. That may mean you leave home on the 16th if they use an overnight flight and arrive early am the 17th. Alternatively you could fly out anytime on the 17th and arrive anytime prior to 11:59pm that day

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

That would be fine, too.  According to our itinerary on the Summary, our deviation is set to commence on the 17th out of Seattle -- so, given the flight patterns I've been able to find, we'll probably be leaving any time on the 17th. I'm not too concerned, really -- we've encountered many different flight experiences, and have managed to survive -- we're prepared to be flexible, and appreciate however we get from West Coast to East Coast.  Guaranteed it will be faster than walking :-).  Thanks for your input!  It sounds like you've used the NCL Free/Reduced Air?

3 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

That would be fine, too.  According to our itinerary on the Summary, our deviation is set to commence on the 17th out of Seattle -- so, given the flight patterns I've been able to find, we'll probably be leaving any time on the 17th. I'm not too concerned, really -- we've encountered many different flight experiences, and have managed to survive -- we're prepared to be flexible, and appreciate however we get from West Coast to East Coast.  Guaranteed it will be faster than walking :-).  Thanks for your input!  It sounds like you've used the NCL Free/Reduced Air?

I work in the travel industry and have many dealings with contract air suppliers, including NCL. Somewhere in the fine print it says that flights may be overnight flights departing the day prior to scheduled arrival, require connections, etc. Realty is you could arrive NYC any time between 12:01am and 11:59pm on the 17th. 

• Like 1

I fly to FLL to go to a cruise out of Miami a lot.  Last year my Lyft ride was only $20. I don't mind flying into fort Lauderdale but I prefer to leave out of MIA. The hotels can be cheaper in Fort Lauderdale depending on what time of year you cruise if you prefer to stay near the ocean. I'm flying into Fort Lauderdale again in December but the Escape is going out of Miami. It's not a big deal. It's like a 20 minute ride. I do agree though. I wouldn't partake in the free airfare ever. I like to book my own airfare. Hope everything works out for you. 

Edited by Siora7777

FLL to Port of Miami no big deal. I always fly into FLL because it’s cheaper. Never had an issue getting between FLL and the port for reasonable prices. They’re basically both right off The same highway. Don’t stress about it too much, I know the extra cost sux but it’s also not a HUGE deal. Like other posters have said, It’s like flying into New York and having to choose between EWR, JFK or LGA. they’re all considered part of the same locality for airport purposes.

even palm beach PBI airport is considered a “nearby” Airport for MIA blind passengers.

A tad inconvenient, but don’t let it stress you out too much, I was also originally stressed about FLL to the port but once I did it I realized it was no big deal and you will be fine.

I hear you! We are flying from Vancouver  to Los Angeles... many, many direct flights. But they booked us from Vancouver to San Fran then to LA - and originally had us flying out at 730 am on the day we get off the ship which was logistically impossible.... 3 calls later, and over an hour on hold, it was worked out. I’m not sure I’d trust the promo air and lack of flexibility for flying anymore than 2 hours away. 

12 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

We'll be using the Reduced Air to get from Seattle to NYC for the 21 Day Panama Canal Cruise on Bliss, with a two-day deviation.  I'm hedging my bets and making (refundable) hotel reservations near JFK and LGA for the first day of the deviation (April 17), and (refundable) hotel reservations for downtown on the 18th.  That way, I figure that even if we get a redeye flight on the 17/18th, I'll have time (at least 15 days 🙂 ) to cancel whatever hotels we won't need.  In the words of one of my favorite book heroes, Jack Reacher -- "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."  

Love Lee Child’s Reacher character. Always looking forward to the next one.

• Like 1

Flying in and out of Ft Lauderdale airport is way cheaper than Miami.  Many port of Miami cruise passengers use the FTL airport instead of Miami.  What you saved on air, you may pay for transportation so its a wash.  With NCL booking your air, they will of course book flights that are the most inexpensive.  You don't have to take the airline perks with NCL.  You can book your own flight.  If you take the deal, you cant be unhappy with the flights.  Not trying to be harsh, its just reality.

One perk of NCL booked flights is if you use their travel insurance, you are covered for any delay or flight cancellation.  I recently read a cruise review where a woman had very bad luck and her NCL booked flight was cancelled.  They booked her on another flight and that one by fluke got cancelled too.  She missed the ship.  However, NCL flew her directly to the first port which was on the second day I believe.  Frustrating yes, but she made it.

Oh btw, the FTL airport is so much better than Miami.  Its smaller and not the disorganized zoo Miami is.  Many would be so happy using the FTL airport.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Flying in and out of Ft Lauderdale airport is way cheaper than Miami.  Many port of Miami cruise passengers use the FTL airport instead of Miami.  What you saved on air, you may pay for transportation so its a wash.  With NCL booking your air, they will of course book flights that are the most inexpensive.  You don't have to take the airline perks with NCL.  You can book your own flight.  If you take the deal, you cant be unhappy with the flights.  Not trying to be harsh, its just reality.

One perk of NCL booked flights is if you use their travel insurance, you are covered for any delay or flight cancellation.  I recently read a cruise review where a woman had very bad luck and her NCL booked flight was cancelled.  They booked her on another flight and that one by fluke got cancelled too.  She missed the ship.  However, NCL flew her directly to the first port which was on the second day I believe.  Frustrating yes, but she made it.

Oh btw, the FTL airport is so much better than Miami.  Its smaller and not the disorganized zoo Miami is.  Many would be so happy using the FTL airport.

FLL is much easier to get direct flights from Pacific Northwest.  FLL  also has easy shuttle to Miami to catch cruise ship. 

Airfares from west coast are also less to FLL than MIA.  However, many of us who look for upgradeable airfare on AS will probably never find it flying to  FLL.  Most flights are full as many are coming for cruise vacations.Alaska Airlines (AS)  does not fly into MIA.

Edited by phissy

What we as consumers see for pricing on flights has ZERO correlation to what NCL pays. They have privately negotiated bulk fares with all the major carriers.  So checking fares online as a retail consumer really does not tells us anything about the flight choices their air department makes. 

• Like 3

Having done both, here are some thoughts: typically a ~35 minute cab / uber FLL- to terminals B or C (15 minutes from MIA to B/C). MIA is far busier in my experience and that 20 minute difference can easily be eaten up collecting baggage / navigating the airport at MIA vs FLL. The 836 can get VERY traffic-choked from MIA westbound several times a day. I'm sure I-95 south from Hollywood can too but I haven't had that issue personally. Maybe a Miami local can enlighten. Uber X FLL - B/C ~$40, MIA - B/C ~$20. It's quite reasonable to fly in to FLL for Port of Miami cruises. I can see why the OP would prefer MIA to FLL but, in practice, there's not a huge difference in time / expense IMO.

9 minutes ago, cdnsteelman said:

Having done both, here are some thoughts: typically a ~35 minute cab / uber FLL- to terminals B or C (15 minutes from MIA to B/C). MIA is far busier in my experience and that 20 minute difference can easily be eaten up collecting baggage / navigating the airport at MIA vs FLL. The 836 can get VERY traffic-choked from MIA westbound several times a day. I'm sure I-95 south from Hollywood can too but I haven't had that issue personally. Maybe a Miami local can enlighten. Uber X FLL - B/C ~$40, MIA - B/C ~$20. It's quite reasonable to fly in to FLL for Port of Miami cruises. I can see why the OP would prefer MIA to FLL but, in practice, there's not a huge difference in time / expense IMO.

I agree, we have flown into both airports several times in the past, typically a day earlier than our cruise out of Miami and prefer FLL both for convenience, cost, better hotel options and more things to do in FLL

We have found the FLL Water taxi to be one of the best valued and interesting venues there and getting to the port of Miami is a breeze with many different transportation options we have found on cruise critic 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, tomservo said:

I have free air booked from NYC to MIA. They couldn’t possibly screw that up, could they?

Went from Newark to Miami twice with no issues. They had me on the ship and eating lunch by 12:30 both times. They will get you there on time, no need to worry. 

1 hour ago, Lancer1568 said:

I think when you use the air promo they automatically book NCL transfers so you have that to get to the ship.

The default is to book NCL transfers and charge you for them.  If you want them removed you have to call NCL.  Good idea to know how much you are paying for the transfers - if you are good with the price and arriving “day of” you are good to go...but conventional wisdom is to arrive at least one day early.

26 minutes ago, geneticfreak said:
  On 10/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, tomservo said:

I have free air booked from NYC to MIA. They couldn’t possibly screw that up, could they?

We are leaving out of Newark in January and took the 2 day air deviation pre-cruise in case of weather issues and also traveling with 90 year old DM, who needs a wheelchair to navigate the airport but managed ok with a Rollator otherwise.    Placeholders have us going Newark to Charlotte and Miami to Newark on the return.   

I booked the Haven 2 bedroom because it makes traveling easy with and for DM.  Although I realize, nothing really is free, after paying for the Haven, saving the $600 -$800 for air pp seemed like a gift.     My thought was EWR to MIA or FLL - lots of nonstop flights, so what's the risk and the cruise consultant sounded so sure that all,would be fine.     After reading CC, I began to worry but airfares prices remain unusually high, likely due to the Super Bowl pre-week - which I didn't think about when I booked the cruise.

I'm watching flight prices closely.   Prices dropped this week and I almost booked but it was Frontier and times offered only worked for us to Miami and NCL said if you don't show for one of the flights, they will cancel the remainder, so I decided against it.  Reading some of the stories about times and inability to choose seats, I am nervous and will continue to monitor flight prices and hope for the best.     

I wonder if non-stop flights are more common if you are flying the day of the cruise to get folks to the port on time? 

Has anyone flown Newark to Charlotte to Miami? If so, how were the flight and connection times? Were you able to chose seats?  I have a decent amount of miles on AA and their platinum AA credit card so I hope we can choose seats at a minimum.  

Thanks for letting me express my concerns.  

Hope everyone has wonderful flights and calm seas

Re transfers - I did a mock booking with free air, and it clearly stated that “transfers are included” which gave me the impression that they were FREE because there was no price disclosed or stated.  But....when I went into Details, we were being charged $70 per person for the “included” transfers.  

I stand by “deceptive” because “included” says nothing about “and the charge has been added to your total” or the price of the “included” transfers.

24 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Re transfers - I did a mock booking with free air, and it clearly stated that “transfers are included” which gave me the impression that they were FREE because there was no price disclosed or stated.  But....when I went into Details, we were being charged $70 per person for the “included” transfers.  

I stand by “deceptive” because “included” says nothing about “and the charge has been added to your total” or the price of the “included” transfers.

Funny...I got a completely different impression.

The offer clearly states: "Guests are responsible for airport transfers at an additional cost if selected." This left me with the impression that I would be paying additional for the transfers.''

This is also covered in the main FAQ on the offer page:

Absolutely. Transfers are automatically added to reservations that book Free or Reduced Airfares, but if you'd like to opt out of Norwegian's transfers, you can give us a call at 1-866-234-7350 to have them removed.

Transfers are automatically added, but it doesn''t say that they are free of charge. (Something that NCL would prominently state if it were the case to make the offer seem better. If you give somebody free transfers you would want to ensure that they know what they are getting for free).  Also..."Can I arrange my own transfers?"...why would anyone want to arrange their own transfers when they have free transfers included?

Interesting that the airfare promo is "free or reduced" yet it is only "free" that seems to cause this transfer confusion. You'd think that somewhere, someone would be asking about "reduced" transfers, but no....only "free". 🙄

• Like 1