Priority Boarding

Maui rats forever

We will be on the Joy departing Dec 1.  We have a balcony room reserved.  We realize  we're  low on the totem pole and know  not to expect alot .   One of the questions asked was if we want priority boarding.  Any thoughts on if we should do this ?.  Does it really speed up boarding?  Do you get your cabin when you first get on the ship ?  I really getting discouraged about this trip.  We're not in Haven or any elite group.  Do the passengers who are not in one of these groups get passed over / ignored because we're not in one of the expensive rooms ?

Jolee Marie

Personally, I wouldn't but a lot depends on what port you are leaving from and what time you are arriving.  On my last couple of cruises, I've arrived fairly late (NCL booked transportation) and I've breezed through boarding.  From what I've seen, priority boarding seems to be hit or miss and maybe not always available.  I've only had a long wait at one port (San Diego) and they weren't very organized - mostly because there was another cruise ship and the Port Authority setup was bad, so the wait was at security, not check-in.  Needless to say some of those who thought they should have special treatment didn't get it at that point and were quite vocal about it!

Your cabin will be ready when it's ready....  If you arrive early, you will probably have to wait.  If you arrive closer to sail time, it will probably be ready. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jolee Marie said:

One of the questions asked was if we want priority boarding.  Any thoughts on if we should do this ?.

Unless you want to buy a VIBE pass, there isn't much need. Other than starting your vacation sooner (a few drinks?) and possibly seeing the ship before the masses board, you won't miss not having priority boarding.

30 minutes ago, Jolee Marie said:

Does it really speed up boarding? 

It can. Many variables as to how quickly/smoothly boarding is for priority vs. general boarding.

32 minutes ago, Jolee Marie said:

Do you get your cabin when you first get on the ship

Most people don't. Certain suites are done before others but it's impossible to know when staterooms will be ready.

33 minutes ago, Jolee Marie said:

I really getting discouraged about this trip.  We're not in Haven or any elite group.  Do the passengers who are not in one of these groups get passed over / ignored because we're not in one of the expensive rooms ?

No need to worry. Some NCL guests have no idea of what the Haven is. Once on the ship, everyone is mostly equal. The Concierge category is kind of an in between of Haven and non-Haven but even then, there shouldn't be a feeling of being passed over/ignored if you are in a lower category. Guests booked in a Sailaway interior are treated equally to those in a mini-suite. Once outside of the stateroom, nobody else can tell the difference.

Yes, certain things such as priority tendering, on/off at ports, reserved seating, etc. are given to some guests but the vast majority of NCL guests are just like you and have a great time.

• Like 2

The only time we were ignored was by a couple of suite guests!!!!   We were allowed certain suite privileges, the main one being allowed to eat breakfast and lunch in their dining room, even though we were travelling Inside.  One couple went out of their way by their actions, couldn't even say anything to us, to show they didn't believe we belonged there!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jolee Marie said:

I really getting discouraged about this trip.  We're not in Haven or any elite group.  Do the passengers who are not in one of these groups get passed over / ignored because we're not in one of the expensive rooms ?

Last month I sailed on Bliss as a middle-aged female solo traveler with zero status on NCL, booked in a Studio room. I dressed in Alaska-appropriate casual attire most of the time. I ate in the MDRs, dined at 4 specialty restaurants including the elegant Le Bistro (okay, I dressed up a tiny bit here), tried out various bars... and never once did I feel like a second-class citizen. Not during check-in, not in the restaurants, not anywhere.

Relax. Have fun! If you can grab a reservation at Le Bistro, try the profiteroles. 

I'll be on the Joy in January, and thanks to a generous solo discount I'll be in a balcony too. Can't wait!

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 6

We have always sailed balcony.  As for boarding, as noted above, it depends on the port.  On our last cruise, we walked straight on since the ship came from being refurbished and there were no passengers to clear.  On the other hand, we were in New Orleans and there was issues with getting people off so everyone sat until noon, priority boarding or not.

On the ship, no one really knows who you are so have a fun time.  

On 10/12/2019 at 11:46 PM, Jolee Marie said:

We will be on the Joy departing Dec 1.  We have a balcony room reserved.  We realize  we're  low on the totem pole and know  not to expect alot .   One of the questions asked was if we want priority boarding.  Any thoughts on if we should do this ?.  Does it really speed up boarding?  Do you get your cabin when you first get on the ship ?  I really getting discouraged about this trip.  We're not in Haven or any elite group.  Do the passengers who are not in one of these groups get passed over / ignored because we're not in one of the expensive rooms ?

Jolee Marie

Priority boarding will start before 11:15. General boarding will start before 11:30. Everyone in the terminal will be onboard before noon (if not a lot sooner), called by boarding group. 

rooms for everyone, including the suites will be ready around 1:00-1:30. 

The Joy has 85 Haven rooms and 85 Concierge rooms. It has 2000! Regular rooms. You are part of the vast majority of passengers on the ship. 

save your money. Show up around 10:00 to avoid the crowds at security and checkin (that is what we do). You’ll be on the ship and eating lunch before noon. 

We were on the Joy in September. She’s a beautiful ship. We had a great time.   Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 12:41 AM, casofilia said:

The only time we were ignored was by a couple of suite guests!!!!   We were allowed certain suite privileges, the main one being allowed to eat breakfast and lunch in their dining room, even though we were travelling Inside.  One couple went out of their way by their actions, couldn't even say anything to us, to show they didn't believe we belonged there!!

We had that happen with the cruise staff too. Once we were sailing on NCL Pearl in a mini-suite connecting with a penthouse suite occupied by other family members. They qualified for the perks like the dining room and we did not. They wanted to bring us as their guest to dinner (we were basically all staying in the same room - kept the connecting door open all day.)

Staff just looked at our cabin assignment and said no. We called over a supervisor and explained, and an exception was graciously made to allow the family to dine together.

After that, we made other dining plans, while the suite guests used the butler for in-suite dining, which we obviously did not get to participate in. We did take full advantage of the suite's Lavazza machine and other nice features.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 12:41 AM, casofilia said:

I've heard different stories like this about Haven guests snubbing people who are not actually staying in the Haven.  I always wonder how they know and why they care.  We stay in the Haven but honestly, we don't really notice whether someone is Haven or not.  We really don't care.   I don't know why people have to snub others.  We always enjoy getting to know other people.  

• Like 2

I actually have seen crew be nicer to those  in the regular cabins (yes we have sailed in both).

In other words you are a valued traveler to NCL and will be treated well no matter what your cabin.

Edited by Peachypooh
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

This is just my experience...I find that for  people who travel first class all the time they just go

about their business and don't distinguish one person's cabin status over another.

Especially those who grew up not having those luxuries and have worked hard to afford them.

On the other hand those who have been pining away for a first class experience and felt

"put down" by the (imagined) better treatment in the Haven 

and for whatever reason end up with one, tend to let others know and

try to make themselves appear for lack of a better term "hoity toity".

I actually have seen crew be nicer to those  in the regular cabins (yes we have sailed in both).

In other words you are a valued traveler to NCL and will be treated well no matter what your cabin.

I think you are correct.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blitzburggirl said:

I'm sorry, is this a joke?

And here I was excited to be cruising in less than 50 days in a balcony. Silly me. 

I apparently should be fretting that I'm not going to be "elite" or "special" enough to enjoy my cruise.

Gosh. I should probably just stay home.

😼

No, she was just saying that she felt snubbed by Haven guests.  We were just putting our thoughts on that.  You can be as excited as you want to be.  Any cabin is a good cabin and service is good all through the ship.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fsa1155 said:

No, she was just saying that she felt snubbed by Haven guests.  We were just putting our thoughts on that.  You can be as excited as you want to be.  Any cabin is a good cabin and service is good all through the ship.  

I'm sorry. My response was maybe a little too obtusely snarky.

I've cruised many many times. Inside, oceanview, balcony, suite, I always have a good time. In fact, I actually prefer the inside rooms because I like the quiet and the dark at night. I don't dislike any category. 

Anyway, I found it quite laughable that someone self described as " I really getting discouraged about this trip.  We're not in Haven or any elite group" is worried others will look down on her.

Clearly she is of the look down the nose type and isn't thrilled to have to mingle with the peasants. 

4 minutes ago, Blitzburggirl said:

I've cruised many many times. Inside, oceanview, balcony, suite, I always have a good time. In fact, I actually prefer the inside rooms because I like the quiet and the dark at night. I don't dislike any category. 

Anyway, I found it quite laughable that someone self described as " I really getting discouraged about this trip.  We're not in Haven or any elite group" is worried others will look down on her.

Clearly she is of the look down the nose type and isn't thrilled to have to mingle with the peasants. 

I think she was saying she wasn't in an elite group in regards to priority boarding status.  The entire post was about being able to have priority boarding while not being in the Haven.  

• Like 1

If you are new to NCL, there are a few things about boarding day you may not be aware of.

There are sit down restaurants available for a nice relaxing boarding-day lunch:  you do not need to head up to the buffet unless you like a buffet or want to eat quickly and get out.  We love to enjoy a leisurely three course lunch on boarding day as a place to sit down away from crowds until our rooms are ready.

You don't need dining reservations for the main dining rooms:  we have always been able to get tables with little or no wait without reservations in all but some of the specialty restaurants.  However, if you like a little more structure, there are staff available on boarding day to help make reservations for dining for the rest of the cruise.

Dining: the main dining room and some of the specialty restaurants have slight more strict dress codes: but on boarding day those are not enforced.  So if you are traveling with someone who won't give up their shorts, you can try to get a reservation for Le Bistro on the first night and have French Cuisine and not have to put on long pants.

Do not let the cluster that is Muster ruin the rest of your vacation.   The elevator situation after Muster is an aberration, but it is bad enough to make you think you should give up on the whole cruise before they leave port.  It does get better.  Bring a book or a deck of cards to Muster and stay after for a good half hour or so until the crowds dissipate.

As others have said, you do not have to pay extra for priority boarding, and you will be treated just fine.  Enjoy your cruise!

On 10/14/2019 at 11:30 AM, Blitzburggirl said:

Wow

I'm not even on board yet and my questions are laughable.  It is being said I clearly am the look down your nose person.  We last  cruised approximately 25 years ago.  At that time there was no Haven or Vibe beach type of place.  I understand it is completely different now.  Yes I  am a bit discouraged.   I am reading things the things that are included and not included.   So far we have only gotten 2 reservations for restaurants and we have 5 in our package.  My travel agent told me Haven gets 1st choice.  I asked if as should be paying for early boarding.  We have made sure are airplane reservations are early I did not know that was an option but shoud  we pay that to make sure we get on board on time if there are alot of people ahead of us. I am a sun worshiper.  I was reading about the deck in Haven and it sounds fantastic.  I have read about Vibe beach.  It also sounds fantastic but only 50 passes are sold.  Do the guest that are not in Haven or elite class get treated the same.  Do we have nice pools.  Does the staff treat you the same or are we looked down on.  Do guest find that other guest are looked down on.  Yes I was reading all these things and getting discouraged.  I do not appreciate that you are saying I am laughable or I look down my nose at people.  I want to know what to expect.  We travel alot and we have found some resorts can be that way.  I will not be discouraged from asking questions because of you.  When I do have questions I will ask on this board.  I have found everyone on this board to be friendly and helpful and I thank everyone for giving me an answer instead being called names.

Edited by Jolee Marie

On 10/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, julig22 said:

Personally, I wouldn't but a lot depends on what port you are leaving from and what time you are arriving.  On my last couple of cruises, I've arrived fairly late (NCL booked transportation) and I've breezed through boarding.  From what I've seen, priority boarding seems to be hit or miss and maybe not always available.  I've only had a long wait at one port (San Diego) and they weren't very organized - mostly because there was another cruise ship and the Port Authority setup was bad, so the wait was at security, not check-in.  Needless to say some of those who thought they should have special treatment didn't get it at that point and were quite vocal about it!

Your cabin will be ready when it's ready....  If you arrive early, you will probably have to wait.  If you arrive closer to sail time, it will probably be ready. 

Thank you.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:34 PM, FitchburgWIFamily said:

If you are new to NCL, there are a few things about boarding day you may not be aware of.

There are sit down restaurants available for a nice relaxing boarding-day lunch:  you do not need to head up to the buffet unless you like a buffet or want to eat quickly and get out.  We love to enjoy a leisurely three course lunch on boarding day as a place to sit down away from crowds until our rooms are ready.

You don't need dining reservations for the main dining rooms:  we have always been able to get tables with little or no wait without reservations in all but some of the specialty restaurants.  However, if you like a little more structure, there are staff available on boarding day to help make reservations for dining for the rest of the cruise.

Dining: the main dining room and some of the specialty restaurants have slight more strict dress codes: but on boarding day those are not enforced.  So if you are traveling with someone who won't give up their shorts, you can try to get a reservation for Le Bistro on the first night and have French Cuisine and not have to put on long pants.

Do not let the cluster that is Muster ruin the rest of your vacation.   The elevator situation after Muster is an aberration, but it is bad enough to make you think you should give up on the whole cruise before they leave port.  It does get better.  Bring a book or a deck of cards to Muster and stay after for a good half hour or so until the crowds dissipate.

As others have said, you do not have to pay extra for priority boarding, and you will be treated just fine.  Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you

On 10/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, julig22 said:

Thank you

On 10/12/2019 at 9:41 PM, casofilia said:

Thank you

On 10/12/2019 at 9:54 PM, coastcat said:

Last month I sailed on Bliss as a middle-aged female solo traveler with zero status on NCL, booked in a Studio room. I dressed in Alaska-appropriate casual attire most of the time. I ate in the MDRs, dined at 4 specialty restaurants including the elegant Le Bistro (okay, I dressed up a tiny bit here), tried out various bars... and never once did I feel like a second-class citizen. Not during check-in, not in the restaurants, not anywhere.

Relax. Have fun! If you can grab a reservation at Le Bistro, try the profiteroles. 

I'll be on the Joy in January, and thanks to a generous solo discount I'll be in a balcony too. Can't wait!

Thank you

On 10/14/2019 at 12:34 PM, FitchburgWIFamily said: