Star Princess - text messages question

rcprncss

I read somewhere you can text your friends on board for FREE on an app.  Is this true on Star Princess?  And which App do I need?  I tried researching but can't find the answer.  Thanks in advance.  I am a Princess newbee?

5 minutes ago, rcprncss said:

I read somewhere you can text your friends on board for FREE on an app.  Is this true on Star Princess?  And which App do I need?  I tried researching but can't find the answer.  Thanks in advance.  I am a Princess newbee?

On Star, you'll use Princess@Sea. It's not an app, it's a web based website, only available once aboard. (they're not Medallion class yet).

Basically, once aboard, hook into Star Princess WiFi, open browser - and if it doesn't automatically launch, type star.princess.com and voila - Princess@Sea.

You can check your account, order room service breakfast, check daily Patter, see your Excursions, etc and message others for free aboard. There is no notification noise or push, and you have to refresh to see, but a red dot does show up when you have a new message.

It's really quite easy.

Take a screen shot of your messenger number.  Makes it a whole lot easier to share with your friends (everyone connecting has to share their messenger number).  

The good is that there is no notification sound to let you know there's a message waiting.

The bad is that there is no notification sound to let you know there's a message waiting.

Do not expect an instant reply.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2019 at 8:57 PM, reedprincess said:

On Star, you'll use Princess@Sea. It's not an app, it's a web based website, only available once aboard. (they're not Medallion class yet).

Basically, once aboard, hook into Star Princess WiFi, open browser - and if it doesn't automatically launch, type star.princess.com and voila - Princess@Sea.

You can check your account, order room service breakfast, check daily Patter, see your Excursions, etc and message others for free aboard. There is no notification noise or push, and you have to refresh to see, but a red dot does show up when you have a new message.

It's really quite easy.

Is the texting local only? That is, you can only receive/send texts to others actually on the ship? Or can you use that app to send a text to someone back home?

49 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Is the texting local only? That is, you can only receive/send texts to others actually on the ship? Or can you use that app to send a text to someone back home?

It is only on the ship and since there is no notification you must periodically check it.

I seem to remember that texting someone at home using cell phone is about 50 cents and receiving is cheaper.

Edited by denmarks

9 minutes ago, denmarks said:

It is only on the ship and since there is no notification you must periodically check it.

I seem to remember that texting someone at home using cell phone is about 50 cents and receiving is cheaper.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:57 PM, reedprincess said:

On Star, you'll use Princess@Sea. It's not an app, it's a web based website, only available once aboard.

Check the Patter (ship newspaper), front page, first day. Directions for accessing Princess@Sea are usually there.

Alternatively, usually a large poster with directions in front of the "Internet Cafe".

Third choice: can't figure it out? Go to the Internet Cafe and ask for help.

*IF* you and they have an unlimited-minutes internet package (with decent actual bandwidth) logged in, phones that support it (modern Androids and iPhones do), and cellphone providers which offer a "Generic Access Network" port on the internet (most US providers do, but last I heard Aussies don't), then you can use "WiFi Calling" for incoming and outgoing calls and texts as if you were at home.

The basic way to set such up is

• Airplane Mode ON

• WiFi ON  (turning Airplane Mode ON turns WiFi OFF, but not vice versa)

• Turn WiFi Calling ON

• If you're paranoid, periodically check that Airplane Mode is still ON  😉

Double check with your cellphone provider's support for gotchas and where those setting are hidden in your phone's menus before you sail.

PS: You may wish to turn your phone off while in bed -- spammers think you are in your home timezone.