Ft.Lauderdale shuttle to car rental center?

cruisinteach2

27 minutes ago, cruisinteach2 said:

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the HAL terminal to car rental center outside the cruise port? Thanks for any info you may have!

I'm not positive but  you definitely could UBER or LYFT relatively cheaply because literally everything is right next to each other. The port is minutes from the airport where all of the major car rental companies are located. SIXT is not at the airport but minutes/seconds away.

Most of the Car Rentals have free shuttle but sometimes it is a bit of a wait for the shuttle.   Also the line for Car Rental could be long.   Recommend you jump in a taxi (for expediency) to take you to your car rental if so inclined.  Taxis are usually around.

Peter

Concur with SFO Peter.  We have had very poor results getting a car at a port area location after disembarking.  They don't have that many cars and need to clean/reissue the turn ins.   The problem is HAL wants you off the ship early  so they are  ready for embarkation at 11.The people embarking turn their cars in after you have gotten off the ship.  We have found it is very easy to take a cab/Uber/Lyft to the FLL airport car rental center where there are lots of cars, particularly on Saturday and Sunday morning. It's a short and relatively inexpensive ride and you get on the road much earlier. Enjoy the cruise. 

4 hours ago, cruisinteach2 said:

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the HAL terminal to car rental center outside the cruise port? Thanks for any info you may have!

You are asking for transport from Port Everglades "HAL Terminal" to car rental and not from FLL-Hollywood Airport to the car rental facility, correct?

The cost of the taxi is not outrageous. There is a Hertz van that goes around the port. How often is dependent on how many ships are in port. Once you determine how many, you might have a better sense of how often that Hertz van will come around. If there are more than 3 ships in port, take the taxi. If possible walk off with your luggage to get going early. If there are several ships in port, there just might not be enough officials on the pier to process you in a timely manner. You get there early, you get done quickly. If you get off about 8:00, you could still be on the pier well after 9:00.

Jim

We waited almost an hour for a shuttle and eventually took a van/taxi that picked up lots of people and drove us to the rental car place. The Uber/Lyft/Taxi is in a different spot than the car rental shuttles, so best to just make the decision to take your own transportation, rather than having to retrace your steps. Our problem was there were 8 or 9 ships in port and the free shuttle started at one ship, took people to rental car place and then came back to the same ship. We never saw the free shuttle in 55 minutes. By the time we got to the rental car, it was almost 2 hours to get the vehicle. Only 1 person working the desk, and the employee acknowledged it was a very busy cruise day. I might add, it was not and humid and no shade while waiting. Never again! Will take Uber or Lyft in a few weeks!

I've found Alamo to be pretty quick from the PE  location. They have 3 or 4 shuttle buses working and are the closest and most convenient , being on Eller Drive.  The only knock is that the kiosk there doesn't work and you get the hard sell from the agents. It's a shame that the freeloaders killed the Alamo free shuttle between FLL and PE.

Edited by bilyclub
add

Have always used Hertz on Terminal Dr (SE 24th St) in the Crowne Plaza and never had more than a couple of minutes wait at the cruise terminal or the counter.  Never been in such a hurry to spend money when a free ride will do the trick myself.  I do this yearly, sometimes multiple times a year.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Fastest way to get to your rental car is to take taxi.  Make sure you've already rented the car, as inventory isn't large.  With several ships disembarking passengers, it's essential to have a reservation already made and confirmed.  We met a couple of passengers who didn't have a reservation.  Sadly, at least at Avis, no cars were available unless a customer had already made a reservation.  I don't know if they had better luck elsewhere.  This isn't a gamble we're willing to take, especially when we're due back at work the next day.

We just disembarked from a HAL ship there three days ago, and I have never seen such a crowd waiting for shuttles, taxis, etc. - just from our ship and there were 3 or 4 more ships in port ! We were going to our hotel (which was also full of dozens and dozens of people coming from, and going to ships), so I can't comment about going for a car rental, but I want to add to the comments made by others who suggest a taxi or Uber/Lift. We took Uber, which was not pricey, but it was the longest I have ever waited for an Uber anywhere, ever! We must have waited about 15 minutes, while others lined the partly shaded walls to wait for whatever transportation they were going to use. There were port personnel there funneling off those going to the airports, to shuttles just for these destinations, and the rest of us fending for ourselves. I'm not sure if some may have taken those airport shuttles to get rental  cars, nor if there may have been a charge for those shuttles.

Last March we  arranged a rental at Sixt car rentals & took their shuttle to their agency close by .The problem we had was a long wait for the Sixt shuttle  . think it best to take the first available taxi ,uber or lyft  ride yyou can get to the rental center & always  reserve your car in advance  for availability & best pricing  Port Everglades is just too busy a port .Tampa by far is a better port to cruise from  .We did a 2nd cruise from Tampa & it was a breeze

We finally decided not to fly any longer to meet a cruise ship .After 84 cruises ,we will now only take cruises from our home port of San Diego  for HAL ships & or drive 1.5 hours to San Pedro Calif   ,for Princess cruises

Just off Veendam today in FLL....booked with Alamo....they have their own shuttle bus to their location which is just outside the port.  Their bus is not easy to find...it's at the very end past the airport shuttle busses....but just ask.  Very efficient and pleasant staff.  First time we've rented Alamo at FLL and we'll do it again.  BTW, they were also about 1/2 the price for pick up at FLL and drop off in Tampa.

Glad it worked out for you.    Last time we were among the first that walked off the boat.   Then waited and waited for about 45 minutes for shuttle then decided to take a taxi.   I think the shuttles don't start too early in the a.m.