Have you been on a charter cruise?

George C

I have seen advertising for charters for a long time. Last year we booked our first which was a 70’s music charter called Rock and Romance. Entertainment is a big factor for us and this was amazing one of our favorite groups America was on , along with Micheal McDonald, BJ Thomas, Air Supply , Stxt and many others , live music from about 2pm until about 2am. Also great interviews with stars , autograph sessions etc , liked it so much we went again this year and have next years booked , these do cost more than normal cruises. Same company does 50’s, 60’s , 80’s, disco and soul cruises, last year it was on celebrity summit this year celebrity infinity.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You may want to check on the Theme Cruise  forum also

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/117-theme-cruises/

We have done a couple of Malt Shoppe cruises  ..great fun

We would love to do flower power but we are addicted to suites and they sell out immediately, was on a wait list last year. Same company does that. I grew up with 60’s music wife grew up  with 70’s music. 

We did a cruise once with the Really Big Chorus; you bought the music before hand then rehearsed when sailing, and gave a performance at the end. We were with Louis, now Celestial, cruises. I think this year's Chorus cruise is a river one, but next year they have 2 cruises on sea ships. I think there were 120 singers, plus extra family members on our cruise... we covered Turkey and the Greek Isles.

We went on a cruise called 'On the Blue' cruise.   The main featured artist was Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues.   There were other artists that we especially like:   Al Stewart, Alan Parsons, Procol Harum and others.   We heard concerts and went to Q & A sessions.  Photo opportunities with the artists and the downloads were free.    The cruise was only 5 days, too few to travel over 8 hours by air to Miami for us so we added another cruise also leaving from Miami scheduled to depart the day we came back.

I would take a similar cruise but this year's features virtually the same artists although it is 7 days.  We would want to see other performers/artists.  The entire cruise was full of music and you had something to talk about with everyone you came into contact with as everyone had  music of this genre in common.   We barely had time to eat.

The cruise is definitely more expensive than a regular Caribbean cruise, at least double and maybe 3 times a last minute  sale price.   I guess that's to cover the costs of the artists and their crew.

The rock and romance was 5 days last two years and 7 days next year, no artist seem to repeat but you may see some every other year. Believe flower power is the same. Some of the cover bands are the same but not the headliners. Agree on price , we also added another cruise to add to 5 day one earlier this year. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:51 AM, George C said:

I have seen advertising for charters for a long time. Last year we booked our first which was a 70’s music charter called Rock and Romance. Entertainment is a big factor for us and this was amazing one of our favorite groups America was on , along with Micheal McDonald, BJ Thomas, Air Supply , Stxt and many others , live music from about 2pm until about 2am. Also great interviews with stars , autograph sessions etc , liked it so much we went again this year and have next years booked , these do cost more than normal cruises. Same company does 50’s, 60’s , 80’s, disco and soul cruises, last year it was on celebrity summit this year celebrity infinity.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, LHT28 said:

You may want to check on the Theme Cruise  forum also

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/117-theme-cruises/

We have done a couple of Malt Shoppe cruises  ..great fun

Yes, George C -- do check out the 'theme cruises' thread (under: Special Interest cruising). We are coming up on our 3rd Smooth Jazz Cruise -- also on Celebrity Infinity. The company who handles these charters also produces : Blue Note at Sea cruises, and 'straight ahead' Jazz cruises. They do a very good job, and their choice of Celebrity M-Class (Summit and Infinity) ships has been an excellent one. There are just so many good music venues (large and small) on those ships!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Yes, George C -- do check out the 'theme cruises' thread (under: Special Interest cruising). We are coming up on our 3rd Smooth Jazz Cruise -- also on Celebrity Infinity. The company who handles these charters also produces : Blue Note at Sea cruises, and 'straight ahead' Jazz cruises. They do a very good job, and their choice of Celebrity M-Class (Summit and Infinity) ships has been an excellent one. There are just so many good music venues (large and small) on those ships!

I do visit theme cruises and have posted there , but there is very little activity there.  Agree there are some great and different types of theme cruises. 

On a similar vein, any experience with accidentally being part of a partially chartered cruise? Recently found out my Feb cruise is going be a Gospel Cruise, and I'm not sure how to process the info. I could get behind Flogging Molly or the Moody Blues...

10 hours ago, cruzienoobie said:

On a similar vein, any experience with accidentally being part of a partially chartered cruise? Recently found out my Feb cruise is going be a Gospel Cruise, and I'm not sure how to process the info. I could get behind Flogging Molly or the Moody Blues...

LOL -- many years ago, I canceled a cruise, when I found that it had been partially chartered by a large group of Elvis impersonators. If I had been in the proper frame of mind, I have to admit that it might have been fun --- for a day or two. But this was a seven-nighter (on RC's Mariner). Just didn't think I could take a whole week of hearing: "Hunka-hunka burnin' love..." 😱😁