La Spezia not Livorno?

Lanky Lad

I have booked QV in September 2021, but I have a question that maybe one of our experts can answer. 

Ships usually call at Livorno for Pisa and Florence, but we are going to La Spezia.  Does anyone know why Cunard have stopped calling at Livorno?

1 minute ago, Lanky Lad said:

I have booked QV in September 2021, but I have a question that maybe one of our experts can answer. 

Ships usually call at Livorno for Pisa and Florence, but we are going to La Spezia.  Does anyone know why Cunard have stopped calling at Livorno?

A few years ago, it happened to us the other way round. It was originally going to be La Spezia and was changed to Livorno after we had booked. La S. is not a very convenient port for Florence, but is a really delightfully attractive port in itself, an ordinary Italian town with a nice waterfront, and several places to get ice creams. If I were to choose a trip from there, I would choose Lucca, which is reasonably near and only takes half a day. But we found it delightful to wander around.

i assume Cunard goes whoever there is space for less cost.

21 hours ago, Underwatr said:

La Spezia is also convenient for the Cinque Terre. I'm glad to have visited when it was apparently less overrun with tourists.

How long ago was that?

I was there in the 60s.

From La Spezia you can also take the local bus to Portovenere or Lerici.

Not to pile on, but IMHO one would be far better off with, as Stephen suggests, La Spezia and the Cinque Terre than with even Livorno and an excursion to Florence.  This is because it's quite a haul from Livorno to Florence, plus the return, and there's so much to see in Florence that you'd barely have time to scratch the surface.  Better to see Florence on a land trip, when you can spend the several days there that a proper visit minimally requires.

• Like 1