Sea Dog's Harmony "As If Live" Review Pre & Post with Food, Whiskey & Key,, Oh My!

Sea Dog

10 minutes ago, georgemoe said:

Enjoy BT. Wife and I did the Hard Hat and Ghost Tours back in May. Great time. What a place!

I've heard about that and it sounds fantastic. I would like to do that tour.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisingCrewsers said:

I am a total greenhorn when it comes to cruising. What does the term 4 top(s) mean.  How far in advance did you book the table by the window for your wife and yourself ahead of dining?

Welcome to CC and to cruising!  I see you are taking your first cruise on Freedom in May.  We loved Freedom!  I have no doubt you will have a wonderful time.  You do know that cruising is addictive, yeah?  😎 ☀️🏝️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ren1216 said:

Welcome to CC and to cruising!  I see you are taking your first cruise on Freedom in May.  We loved Freedom!  I have no doubt you will have a wonderful time.  You do know that cruising is addictive, yeah?  😎 ☀️🏝️

Freedom is a great ship!  Sailed on hear back in 2012 and doing so again in 5 days!

• Like 2

THE FINAL DAY AT SEA

I hate it when it comes to this. I must cram everything I haven't done in one day. First I thought I would attend the Captain's Corner with Captain Johnny and the other officers.IMG_4818.thumb.JPEG.d085c5a24767c45376777f1b50a29876.JPEG

Captain Johnny was really funny. Some good questions were asked and you could tell he's been asked all of them before. He was good natured and even quite funny with his answers. When a woman asked "What was the man overboard protocol?" replied, "why do you want to know? where is your husband?"

IMG_4819.thumb.JPEG.7f73f11a412bb7c793d33da9f9fa1926.JPEG

Later I walked around areas of Harmony I had not been to all week. I discovered Mini Bites (why did I not grab a snack there all week?), The mini golf course.

IMG_4839.thumb.JPEG.36e4bac7b26b22e9f8bfead505ed310e.JPEG

And the flow rider, which I would kill myself on if I tried it. I did get a nice slo-mo on the iPhone of a guy wiping out. Sorry dude.

Quick walk around the track and had to stop at the stern to gaze and wonder.

IMG_4837.thumb.JPEG.3a627a74e2d0ec3f1a720f732906933b.JPEG

Time  for a bite to eat before my tasting. I have to go back to the Park Cafe for the Kummelweck.

IMG_4832.thumb.JPEG.86e5c8d2328473aa8cd2c03ca58b10b0.JPEG

Belly full time to taste!

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 3

"HAPPINESS IS HAVING A RARE STEAK, A BOTTLE OF WHISKEY, AND A DOG TO EAT THE STEAK." - JOHNNY CARSON

Let's begin with Scotch. I consider myself a neophyte when it comes to Scotch. I don't know much about it but I'm willing to learn. I found Dewar's to be sweet and balanced on the nose with rich, fruity mellow tones of raisins, apples and honey with vanilla and toffee overtones. Nice!

IMG_4663.thumb.JPEG.a16bf1c6b6aa4e49b6059807e2fedaed.JPEG

Next up the Glenfiddich Slect Cask Single Malt. The nose is soft and fruity. Aromas of pears, apricots, and raisins join thick honey, sweet malt, and vanilla. (Linda's Kraken Colada is standing tall next to it)

IMG_4659.thumb.JPEG.f512d3e2651edc05812032128b0b498b.JPEG

And the Glenlivet Founders Reserve. Delicate aromas of citrus fruit, notably sweet orange.

IMG_4653.thumb.JPEG.34aea1e5781f7fec28a2007a423282d1.JPEG

Coming back home to the Bourbons. First, Makers always a good solid bourbon. I particularly love the Makers 46 (Not on the ship)

IMG_4840.thumb.JPEG.756524789fda09bae5b276fce5c6e9ec.JPEG

Then Buffalo Trace which is where some of the finest bourbon including the Pappy, Weller, and Blanton’s are distilled, aged and bottled. I can always drink BT, solid as a rock!

IMG_4841.thumb.JPEG.304f374304ec3581c785603aa38dae04.JPEG

Next up was one of my favorites, the Four Roses single barrel. I love the balanced and buttery liquid that came out of this barrel of bourbon. It’s rich in all of the flavors and aromas that make good bourbon.

IMG_4850.thumb.JPEG.47cc307258b8bbae7dd7c56ea1accdf1.JPEG

I closed out my tour with bourbon by Bulleit. I love their rye but was impressed by this. At 90 proof, it is comparatively light for a Bourbon and has a diverse flavor profile. The overall taste is deep, full, and is a terrific example of what whiskey ought to taste like.

IMG_4844.thumb.JPEG.3f212c87d210152dc53d7c1b25b57fe2.JPEG

Not pictured was the Rittenhouse Rye which I have had many times. It has a good nose of fruits and spices. The taste was of fruits, chocolate oranges, nutmeg and oak

OK NOW FOR A LITTLE RANT !

IMG_4854.thumb.JPEG.cf17b114d3f9131ef2a45efbcc673979.JPEG

Here’s my problem with Royal Caribbean and their choice of liquors at the bars, It’s inconsistent. There was only one bar, The Mast bar on Deck 16 that had Templeton Rye. I could not find it anywhere. Also, what's up with the drink menu? It lists Whistle Pig Rye and I asked every bar that I went to on the ship and asked if they had it. They all said no. Look do you see Whistle Pig Straight Rye on the menu? Is this an old menu perhaps????

593150596_DrinkMenu.thumb.JPEG.a4064aad03dddc256a15335bfd981038.JPEG

Here is what I noted that I could find in the different bars on the ship. All the Scotch’s and Irish whiskeys were plentiful including the Johnny Walker Series, Dewars, Chivas Regal, The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich.  and Jameson.

On the Blended Whiskey side there was Canadian Club, Crown Royal, Fireball, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel’s, and Seagrams 7.

The Rising Tide bar had the best selection of Cognac with a Remy Martin XO for $20 by the glass and the Louis XIII for $145. I almost pulled the the trigger on the XIII but thought I splurged enough on the Blanton.s at the duty free shop for $70.

Even though I ranted I will say that most of the selections on board were good ones. I thought there was a wide variety in everything except rye whiskey. I would love in the future if Royal Caribbean would add a Whiskey tasting room like on Holland America's Koningsdam. This looks pretty cool.

1438682579_HollandAmericaKoningsdamWhiskeyTastingRoom.jpg.a4fa31e7baad380801c8a368d3492f96.jpg

Time to get ready for our last dinner. Tonight will be at Chops.

• Like 3

LIGHTNING OVER MANHATTAN

IMG_4862.thumb.JPEG.3df3e47ccd3c492ee17830c14d581542.JPEG

Dinner on our last night would be at Chops. We were seated in their patio area in Central Park as a beautiful display of lightning and thunder began after I received my signature cocktail the Manhattan. I shot some video and edited this on the iPhone.

The Menu

IMG_4855.thumb.JPEG.6a3ccfc2e7726a940eef0701e53bbe11.JPEG

IMG_4856.thumb.JPEG.9b63523ae56c1df056311a5ac4d23602.JPEG

Tuna Tartare was amazing!

IMG_4863.thumb.JPEG.c2957506cfc50066af65be659a9c2b7f.JPEG

Jumbo Crab Cake

IMG_4869.thumb.JPEG.60f4205d865e07d3a107178e9bb98626.JPEG

Sides of Truffled French Fires and Gruyere Cheese Tater Tots

IMG_4876.thumb.JPEG.f05a1d1f883cccf46bcbe2e5439899ce.JPEG

Bone in Rib Eye cooked to perfection and a great taste to match.

IMG_4878.thumb.JPEG.e6dc05cf234d297a639fa061c3485855.JPEG

And for dessert to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary, Chops Cheesecake.

Cheesecake.thumb.jpg.c8a4df1258d26710cf94a3551dcbc8ea.jpg

Time to spend our final hours on our balcony and drink our gift.

IMG_4884.thumb.JPEG.876d0024c0432e70030b150534a3fda0.JPEG

Nothing like drinking Champagne and toasting to 22 years and listening to this!

And then to my horror, The worst picture I've ever taken!!!!!!

1220030555_LuggageTagsDissembark.thumb.jpg.8a0723d28ca8324a0bd96d5f958dbfa3.jpg

I hope I can sleep tonight.

• Like 4

DISEMBARKATION - the process of leaving a ship or aircraft, or removing goods from a ship or aircraft. (debark: from the French des meaning "from", and, barque, meaning "small ship").

All good things must come to a end but at least having the "Key", I should get a good breakfast out of the deal. The only difference between the Key members breakfast and anyone else eating breakfast in the main dining room is that Key was only on Level 4 with no wait time and less crowded than the long line of people waiting impatiently on level 3. I could hear the noise level was so much higher the floor below us. Somehow having a nice relaxing breakfast with no pressure to get off the ship at a set time. We were told we could depart anytime up to 9:15. the menu had a couple of added extras including a VIP Steak and Eggs, a petite filet and fried eggs and also a Crab Benedict that I saw at another table and it looked awesome. We had a great relaxing breakfast to bid a fond farewell to Harmony of the Seas. I look forward to sailing on her again.

The Menu

IMG_4889.thumb.JPEG.9adf2f259085c4c5e88ca516f1a5b3c6.JPEG

Not crowded at all.

IMG_4890.thumb.JPEG.5a78a4fb0aa1e3c6fb329474ccf2d1fd.JPEG

Filet and Eggs

IMG_4891.thumb.JPEG.fdc383412db1aded103c041c810adc8a.JPEG

Now for the wrinkle in the Key.

Key members were to depart from Sorento's but did not know that as the sheet that was delivered to our stateroom the night before had no information about it. Luckily I asked someone from RC who was directing traffic and telling everyone to go to the back of line that seemed like a mile long, "where do Key members go"?  She said the gangway by Sorrento’s. As we made our way past the departing line to get to Sorrento’s I could hear all the comments , “oh they are just trying to cut to the front.” Sorry folks I thought to myself, I’m just trying to get to where I supposed to be. Once we arrived at Sorrento’s, I saw another long line but a second line that was gated off. I asked a RC person where a Key member should go. He said right here and opened up the gate so that we by passed everyone else. Nice but I do wish there was some signage. Had we not asked we would of been stuck like everyone else waiting in queue to get off. Facial recognition was great as it took us about 20 minutes from the time we left the main dining room to leaving on the bus to Orlando International Airport. Now the long wait now for a 5:05 pm flight but I don’t mind.

After a long day, exhausted but thrilled and overjoyed from a incredible trip, I find the reason why there is no place like home. The sisters Maggie (Black & White) and Penny (Brown & White) where excited to see us and beg for treats. I hate to break it to them but we are leaving next October for our anniversary on Freedom of the Seas out of San Juan. This time with my son who will had just turned 21. I guess that will be 3 deluxe beverage packages instead of two. Cheers Everyone!!!

IMG_4899.thumb.JPEG.bc93ab8eb573138b30f5106e3759fb8a.JPEG

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The only difference between the Key members breakfast and anyone else eating breakfast in the main dining room is that Key was only on Level 4 with no wait time and less crowded than the long line of people waiting impatiently on level 3.

Is there normally a long wait to eat breakfast in the MDR during debarkation? I figured most people would be in the buffet. 

Thank you for your review. I loved it. Especially the burbon. My favorite is woodford reserve. I've tried Blantons, and well I don't care for it. Same for Bullet. Just not my taste. And I totally agree with you about makers mark 46 being so much better than regular makers mark. I also buy alot of buffalo trace. I consider it a quality burbon at a reasonable price. 

Not a scotch drinker, but am interested now in trying rye. 

And I do get a raised eyebrow ordering neat. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Thank you for your review. I loved it. Especially the burbon. My favorite is woodford reserve. I've tried Blantons, and well I don't care for it. Same for Bullet. Just not my taste. And I totally agree with you about makers mark 46 being so much better than regular makers mark. I also buy alot of buffalo trace. I consider it a quality burbon at a reasonable price. 

Not a scotch drinker, but am interested now in trying rye. 

And I do get a raised eyebrow ordering neat. 

Scotch does not hold up well in ice or water. Single malt scotch is best drank neat with a tiny drop of water, but put that in after the nose test and an initial sip.

Agree that bourbon does well in ice.  I know SeaDog loves his Templeton.  Not a fan since the ownership changed to MGP and they went on the  "Al Capone" marketing stunt. But MGP does supply the rye for Bulleit.  Wild Turkey's Russell Rye is a good one to taste, as is the Wild Turkey 101, but unless flush with lotto winnings don't spring for the Masters Keep, you'll drink it too fast.:classic_ohmy:

If you like BT Bourbon, try their EH Taylor Rye.   Also, George Dickel makes a decent rye good for those Manhattans, as is Knob Creek's Rye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tomservo said:

Is there normally a long wait to eat breakfast in the MDR during debarkation? I figured most people would be in the buffet. 

I'm sure there were more people in the Windjamer, but I did see a line in the MDR, but that's not to say that it is always the case.

53 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Not a fan since the ownership changed to MGP and they went on the  "Al Capone" marketing stunt.

I could not agree more. It made me mad too.  Templeton has always been my go to whiskey and what me started on this journey of Bourbon and Whiskey. Now here is a story I think you can appreciate. I even been blessed to know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone who is from the original Templeton family and makes the original recipe of Templeton out of his home, (note: the original recipe did not pas FDA standards so it’s not the original recipe that is in the stores and that MGP makes), I received some of the original recipe from a friend and let me tell you it was fantastic. So much better than what you find on the shelf. It's a little darker but so much smoother. I can see how Al Capone did really call it "The Good Stuff."

• Like 1

I have really enjoyed your review. I’m not much of a whiskey drinker, but now I might try a couple of the ones you described. They sound interesting. 
Our oldest DS works at an ABC store and I was about to show him the picture you posted of the Blantons. I had barely brought it up when he identified it and told us his store gets Blantons occasionally and when they do they limit purchases to 1 per customer. They don’t get a lot and sell out quickly. 

The sisters are adorable. Are they Cavaliers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MalteseMama2 said:

I have really enjoyed your review. I’m not much of a whiskey drinker, but now I might try a couple of the ones you described. They sound interesting. 
Our oldest DS works at an ABC store and I was about to show him the picture you posted of the Blantons. I had barely brought it up when he identified it and told us his store gets Blantons occasionally and when they do they limit purchases to 1 per customer. They don’t get a lot and sell out quickly. 

The sisters are adorable. Are they Cavaliers?

Yes that happens where I live too. That's why I was excited to get the Blanton's on the ship because I can never find it at home. And yes the sisters are King Charles Cavalier Spaniels.  We love that breed. They are so sweet and lovable and as you can see, we spoil them rotten,

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 8:14 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

Greg,  I am enjoying your review. Many of the CC “ live” reviews are from passengers with lots of cruises and there’s a bit of “been there done that” in their reviews.  You have such a fresh perspective!  I am enjoying the cruise through your eyes.

m

I heartily concur!

• Like 1