20yo & 19 yo in nearby cabin

WmFoster

RCL’s policy is more lenient than NCL’s, even though we were in a connecting cabin we could not book our 19 and 20 year olds in the connecting cabin. Therefore, the UBP gave each of them the soda package instead of being able to have DH and I #1 and #2 in the cabin. We couldn’t switch onboard, were just given extra key cards.

10 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Yep, but not in America... a 20 year old is only allowed to get married, have children, buy a gun or join the army.

They couldn't possibly be responsible enough to have a cabin on their own, let alone have a drink.

misread original message. sorry

Edited by Goofyfanatic
stupidity.

1 hour ago, WmFoster said:

Thanks again to all.  I will aim to follow-up on the end result but it may not be until the cruise in March.

I'm not trying to find a way to get the suite benefits for all 4 travelers, just for my wife and I who will be in the suite. 

I'm trying to have the trip be stress free with no awkward confrontations at venues, no extra waiting around for managers and supervisors but it if makes a difference even up to check-in time, that would be fine.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully your TA is one of the good ones and can get Royal to wiggle a bit.  If you remember, please give us an update when/if they bend.

1 hour ago, WmFoster said:

One of the more recent comments was it is their ship and their rules.  Usually you make most rules a bit more extreme so they can be bent a little on a case by case business and still be reasonably.  As a comparison, how often do you get a speeding ticket for doing 60 in a 55 zone.  55 is the rule so it could happen but I think most would that would be unreasonable. 

I find that most of the "follow the rules" people tend to be a bit selective as to which rules that follow. You gave a perfect example. Don't sweat it.

For what its' worth, I know plenty of 19/20 yo that are more responsible and mature than some 25+ yo.

Edited by HBE4

14 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Yep, but not in America... a 20 year old is only allowed to get married, have children, buy a gun or join the army.

They couldn't possibly be responsible enough to have a cabin on their own, let alone have a drink.

If they are married or joined the Army, Royal will allow them to book their own room regardless of age. 

• Like 1

I shared this thread with my TA and he let me listen in on his call with Royal.  First a regular agent denied him and then he asked to go up the ladder where he was denied again although the agent agreed, as was noted by not-enough-cruising above, age would not matter if the kids were married.

Cruise a holic suggested getting two suites.  We booked late, it's Spring break week and kids are out of college.  We got the last remaining cabin bigger than a junior suite.  This isn't an Oasis class ship which tends to have a few of those 17th floor suites (which I love) available till late.

Many thanks.

17 minutes ago, WmFoster said:

We booked late, it's Spring break week and kids are out of college.

You have just given the reason for the steadfast denial of having a 19 and 20 year old in a cabin.

The cruise line has experience with kids of this age being unsupervised in a cabin and has found it prudent to have adult supervision in each cabin.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

You have just given the reason for the steadfast denial of having a 19 and 20 year old in a cabin.

The cruise line has experience with kids of this age being unsupervised in a cabin and has found it prudent to have adult supervision in each cabin.

People of this age are not "Kids", they are adults... except in America.

10 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If they are married or joined the Army, Royal will allow them to book their own room regardless of age. 

So if someone gets married, they instantly become more responsible that their single friends of the same age?

I suppose I should expect such rubbish from a country where I can buy a gun in the supermarket, but Kinder Surprise is banned.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WmFoster said:

I shared this thread with my TA and he let me listen in on his call with Royal.  First a regular agent denied him and then he asked to go up the ladder where he was denied again although the agent agreed, as was noted by not-enough-cruising above, age would not matter if the kids were married.

Cruise a holic suggested getting two suites.  We booked late, it's Spring break week and kids are out of college.  We got the last remaining cabin bigger than a junior suite.  This isn't an Oasis class ship which tends to have a few of those 17th floor suites (which I love) available till late.

Many thanks.

If you are in a regular cabin, not exactly steerage.  Still a wonderful cruise- so much to do- yes you book your own entertainment, board the ship a little later, do not have access to the lounge- but so many of the important things are still available to you and your family-  Enjoy the cruise!!  You will have a ball!

8 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

I suppose I should expect such rubbish from a country where I can buy a gun in the supermarket, but Kinder Surprise is banned.

So you have kangaroos in your house?

Maybe you should not speak about things you don't really know about.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Nope adults in the USA, you might not realize but Royal ships are registered and under Bahama flag.

1. How can you say they are "adults in the USA", when they are not allowed to buy a drink?

2. The legal drinking age in the Bahamas is 18.

Don't talk to me about ignorance when your own posts make zero sense.

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Obviously I am shopping at the wrong supermarket, because I’ve been in the market for a .45;  what a ridiculous comment!!

Maybe the "supermarket" bit was an exaggeration, but you can buy guns in Walmart, and you can't buy a Kinder surprise with the toy inside.

If anyone can show that I'm incorrect on either of these points, I will put my hand up and admit I was wrong.

As for someone getting a different insurance rate because they are married.... no, I know nothing of this, and it makes zero sense to me. To be honest, a 19 year old that gets married is probably less responsible that one that stays single, but that's a completely different argument which I won't get into here.

I would agree that someone in the armed forces probably has more sense, even if it's only because they know the consequences if they misbehave.

7 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

I know nothing of this, and it makes zero sense to me.

The insurance companies know a lot about this as their bottom line depends on it.

Biker, who expects the lock fairly soon.

Edited by Biker19

4 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Maybe the "supermarket" bit was an exaggeration, but you can buy guns in Walmart, and you can't buy a Kinder surprise with the toy inside.

If anyone can show that I'm incorrect on either of these points, I will put my hand up and admit I was wrong.

As for someone getting a different insurance rate because they are married.... no, I know nothing of this, and it makes zero sense to me. To be honest, a 19 year old that gets married is probably less responsible that one that stays single, but that's a completely different argument which I won't get into here.

I would agree that someone in the armed forces probably has more sense, even if it's only because they know the consequences if they misbehave.

Wrong on Wal Mart

Wrong On the insurance rates 

Correct, we don’t give our children chocolates with tiny toys inside to swallow; I guess that makes us monsters. 

12 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

1. How can you say they are "adults in the USA", when they are not allowed to buy a drink?

Sorry I've must have missed the definition of adult is to be able to buy a drink. You cannot rent a car here in the USA  or Australia if your 18. Does that make them not an adult?   

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The insurance companies know a lot about this as their bottom line depends on it.

Biker, who expect the lock fairly soon.

Obviously, I don't know how insurance works in the US. This became obvious when I found out that in the US, you can get travel insurance that covers pre existing conditions as long as you buy it with a certain time of booking your travel.

In Australia, if you want cover for pre existing conditions, either you can't get it, or you are slugged a huge premium. 

For a serious discussion, and not trying to be funny now, I don't see how this works for the insurance company. If I have a pre existing condition, the risk for the insurer is obviously more. The fact that I purchase my insurance within a week of booking the trip does not change the risk for the insurer. Maybe someone with more knowledge of insurance can explain that one for me.

I don't dispute that in the US, a married 19yo can get a lower insurance premium than a single 19yo. I have simply never heard that before. I have been informed that it is possibly the same in the UK. In Australia, your marital status has no bearing on your insurance premium.

Yes, I like to take the mickey on some things, but I also realise most of what I'm talking about is beyond the control of anyone here on CC. I just find it funny how people refer to a 19 and 20 yo going on a cruise with parents as "kids". As noted by another poster very early in this thread, in 90%+ of countries, a 19 yo is an adult in all respects.

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Wrong on Wal Mart

Wrong On the insurance rates 

Correct, we don’t give our children chocolates with tiny toys inside to swallow; I guess that makes us monsters. 

Wrong on Walmart?

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=rifle

Not sure what you mean by"wrong on insurance rates"? I'm not saying it is incorrect, just that I don't understand it.