Sydney - cruise capital

23 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

"The line’s new Australia MD Gavin Smith also mentioned the possibility of Oasis class ships for Australia when interviewed by Cruise Passenger. Like Mr Fain, he too talked of the readiness of Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart and Fremantle and New Zealand."

Oasis class ships need a lot of room. I'm surprised that Hobart, Darwin and Fremantle are up to it. Brisbane will probably be OK from Oct 2020, although it may require some extra dolphins. But Auckland seems to be a big problem. No mention of Melbourne.

8 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

"The line’s new Australia MD Gavin Smith also mentioned the possibility of Oasis class ships for Australia when interviewed by Cruise Passenger. Like Mr Fain, he too talked of the readiness of Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart and Fremantle and New Zealand."

Oasis class ships need a lot of room. I'm surprised that Hobart, Darwin and Fremantle are up to it. Brisbane will probably be OK from Oct 2020, although it may require some extra dolphins. But Auckland seems to be a big problem. No mention of Melbourne.

I suppose they may be referring to other ports in NZ rather than Auckland, as there are a few that could accommodate a larger ship as they are commercial docks.

KiwiKruiser mentioned in another thread that the commercial port at Auckland may be moving to another location away from the city, so that may free up the larger port for the bigger cruise ships.

Maybe Oasis Class are too large for coming through the heads and doing the dog legs in Melb.  Wind factor if they veer off course.  The largest ship so far to dock in Melb was the OOCL Seoul container ship (in 2018) which is 35 mt shorter and 5 mt narrower at waterline (not to mention superstructure width) than the Oasis ships.

If the new terminal in Brisbane is designed to cater for the goliaths of cruising , ie speedy embakation and debarking , as well as easy  servicing  for provisions , ......

I can see Brisbane being the cruising capital of the South Pacific. 

On 10/24/2019 at 10:18 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

I would agree except that if Botany Bay gets the go ahead, it will be able to cater for many more ships on the particular day.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

If the new terminal in Brisbane is designed to cater for the goliaths of cruising , ie speedy embakation and debarking , as well as easy  servicing  for provisions , ......

I can see Brisbane being the cruising capital of the South Pacific. 

Sydney and New Zealand are the big magnet for overseas visitors and I think it will always be.

Most Americans have never heard of New Caledonia or vanuatu,with the hype of a private island it will get there attention and Brisbane will become a good departure port.

If Royal Caribbean is going to spend money on developing a Island,for it to pay I think we will see big things to happen in Sydney and Brisbane. 

A lot of RCL stuff..

I don't think many of the major cruise lines would want to sail-out of Botany Bay... First timers, Overseas all want the Harbour bridge, opera house etc. They might have to give concessions????

Hobart does have a great harbour, but could it handle 5,000 plus vistors..  Cascade brewery, Mt Wellington, Richmond. Both times I been there on smaller ships keep bumping into & passing fellow passengers.  I think Brisbane will take a load off Sydney. Living in Newcastle & still working it is going to be more Viable cruising out of Brisbane. With cheaper cruises & much less time off work...