How do you bring your beverages on board?

Peckishpixie

On 10/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, TheRabbit said:

You can see in the picture cases of wine (5), water, soda, Gatorade, etc

All the items had luggage tags and were checked.

20180919_092009.jpg

Hi Bugs, I love it. 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

I was able to take advantage of Alaska Airlines offer of free shipment of a case of wine last year from Seattle to Los Angeles where we boarded the Coral Princess.  In hindsight, I should have had a small wheeled thing to go with it.  It was OK until we reached the terminal on the Princess bus.  They took my luggage, but wouldn't take the case of wine.  I had to carry it into the terminal myself, pay corkage for ten of the bottles and then carry it to my room on the ship.  Concerning carrying on water:  Last few time we were on Princess you could order a case of water (12) for six dollars and something if you ordered before your cruise.  We ordered four cases for the 60 day cruise.

One other thing I should mention about shipping a case of wine on Alaska Air.  It doesn't arrive at the destination airport with your other luggage.  You have to look around the luggage area; apparently they have a place that receives fragile items that don't go down the chute with the suitcases.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:45 PM, TheRabbit said:

You can see in the picture cases of wine (5), water, soda, Gatorade, etc

All the items had luggage tags and were checked.

20180919_092009.jpg

I must ask, where were you going, are there just two of you traveling,  and how long was the cruise?

Just now, SFO-F/A said:

I must ask, where were you going, are there just two of you traveling,  and how long was the cruise?

60 night pack rim. It was just the two of us. The white/light blue/black patterned case behind the boxes was a sewing machine.

Obviously we left and returned to our home port of LA.

1 minute ago, TheRabbit said:

60 night pack rim. It was just the two of us. The white/light blue/black patterned case behind the boxes was a sewing machine.

Ok now I understand,  the drinks and wine...

the sewing machine though?  LOL

3 minutes ago, SFO-F/A said:

Ok now I understand,  the drinks and wine...

the sewing machine though?  LOL

DW loves to sew. We had over 30 sea days so she cut out several projects at home and sewed on sea days.

She had some great stories of what happened in the laundry room when she went over there to iron seams to continue sewing

• Like 2

Were we on the same cruise?  We boarded the Coral in Los Angeles for a 60 day around the Pacific, but we got off in Vancouver.  Worked well for us as we took the bus to Seattle, walked to the ferry terminal, and took the ferry to Bremerton.  An enjoyable cruise, but the next one is on HAL from Hong Kong to Hong Kong.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:26 AM, Cabernetlover said:

Does anyone have any experience bringing extra bottles of wine onboard when embarking from Sydney, Australia?  We've done this from U.S. ports without a problem (paying the corkage fee of course) but was wondering if this is accepted or prohibited in foreign ports, especially Sydney....

Princess allows you to take on as much wine as you want on its Australian cruises, with the AUD$15 corkage fee applicable. Good wine is available in liquor shops in Sydney - look for Dan Murphy, or BWS (short for Beer, Wine, Spirits). For around AUD$10 you can get reasonable Aussie or NZ wine.

9 minutes ago, modernmind said:

Thank you for suggesting those shops (Dan Murphy, BWS). Am wondering if you'd recommend any other wine shops located a bit closer to the cruise ship dock in Sydney?

I suggest you ask this question on the 'Australian and NZ Cruisers' section of this forum. I see that 'Patrickmoran' has given you an answer while I was typing my response. 🙂

This is our first Princess cruise and I would like some clarification.  You can't pack wine in your checked luggage and if you do you have to pay a corkage fee?  Or is the corkage fee for someone bringing more than the allotted 1 per person, if so, what is the corkage fee for extra wine?  

And I see you can bring bottled water on board with no problem.

1 hour ago, pegasusa said:

This is our first Princess cruise and I would like some clarification.  You can't pack wine in your checked luggage and if you do you have to pay a corkage fee?  Or is the corkage fee for someone bringing more than the allotted 1 per person, if so, what is the corkage fee for extra wine?  

And I see you can bring bottled water on board with no problem.

You are allowed 1 bottle w/o corkage fee if it is consumed in your cabin.  Also, you can check wine with your luggage.  We bring it on by the case.

On 10/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, cheeseclan said:

A question:  we met someone on our Caribbean Princess Cruise last week that left from NYC.  They had 1 or 2 12 packs of soda.  They were told no They could not bring on at the terminal so they had to dump it.  Is this something new??

Following for the answer to this question 🙂

On 10/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, TheRabbit said:

60 night pack rim. It was just the two of us.

That explains it as I was going to say that I didn’t fancy the excess baggage charges flying across the pond with that lot 😜.

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Although people report that they have successfully checked in their wine, Princess states that all wine must be carried on in hand luggage.

Here is the policy.  There is no mention of carrying on the wine.  "As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*"

On 10/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, Peckishpixie said:

I am trying to find a better way of getting our wine and soda on board. We currently bring wine from Washington in a checked box on Alaska Air (wine flies free!) We stop at a store to get a 6 pack of diet soda and some San Peligrino on the way to the port. Then while trying to check in,  we have to balance the box of wine and the bag of soda plus our carry on luggage. There has to be a better way!

On 10/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, Peckishpixie said:

I am trying to find a better way of getting our wine and soda on board. We currently bring wine from Washington in a checked box on Alaska Air (wine flies free!) We stop at a store to get a 6 pack of diet soda and some San Peligrino on the way to the port. Then while trying to check in,  we have to balance the box of wine and the bag of soda plus our carry on luggage. There has to be a better way!

Well, I guess that I look it a bit differently.  We’re actually dealing with two separate policies (1) TSA rules and (2) Princess Rules.  I think you have to make a choice of do you want to pay a “corkage fee” or not.  I purchased wine travel bags and a “wine carrier” a number of years ago.  My wife will pack a bottle of wine in her checked luggage and I do the same.  When we arrive at our hotel we take them out and put them into the “Wine Carrier”.  It’s nice because it has a strap that I can simply put over my shoulder as I wheel the other “tagged” luggage.  We also purchase a case of water, and I strap the water to my small roller case.  The only bothersome point is putting them all on the conveyor belt to be scanned.  But once through then it’s smooth sailing. No Corkage Fee. Now friends of our place them all into a case and put a tag on them and they are then called down to Deck #4 later to pay a “Corkage Fee”.  We both end up taking on almost the same amount of Wine and Water but they end up paying $40 - $50 to bring it on all for the convenience of having it brought to their room.  Not a good use of funds in my opinion.