Espresso machine

tampadee

1 minute ago, Hambagahle said:

Why ?  "regular American" coffee is undrinkable.   The Illy machine will make you a very decent cup of coffee...

I didn’t see where the OP mentioned “regular American” coffee, but just “regular” coffee.  There’s no need to take a shot at American coffee.  There are actually quite a few American roasters turning out some good roasts these days...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Bill - but American coffee is undrinkable to us.  "Regular" means different things in different places..

In NYC "regular" coffee means black and  thin coffee with milk.

In other parts of the US it means American coffee versus espresso (or what is normal when coming out of an espresso machine!) 

Depends on what you want and what you are used to I suppose.  But one should not expect an Espresso machine to produce third rate coffee.

Just now, Hambagahle said:

Sorry Bill - but American coffee is undrinkable to us.  "Regular" means different things in different places..

In NYC "regular" coffee means black and  thin coffee with milk.

In other parts of the US it means American coffee versus espresso (or what is normal when coming out of an espresso machine!) 

Depends on what you want and what you are used to I suppose.  But one should not expect an Espresso machine to produce third rate coffee.

The major store brands, yes, they’re not good at all.  For years I drank Jacobs Kronung almost exclusively (an artifact of my years in Germany, I guess) but I’ve since found some really delicious small business coffees that I enjoy.  I also have a DiLonghi espresso machine I use on weekends for cappuccinos or Americanos.

Bottom line, I guess, is if you just hit a diner or deli and order a coffee, it will probably be pretty sad...but there are any number of cafes that will brew you a fantastic cup.

• Like 2

For us  - not!   Double Nespresso intenso each morning.  Life doesn't get better than that!   My TA has made sure that on our Splendour cruise we will have a Nespresso machine in our suite.  There is no better coffee (and it is Swiss!)

I found the regular coffee made with the in-room machine to be foul.  It's illy, but supposedly that is used all over the ship. And I also found the coffee poured in the dining rooms to be foul, so perhaps I don't like illy.  However, I enjoyed the french press coffee in the Coffee Connection.

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I found the regular coffee made with the in-room machine to be foul.  It's illy, but supposedly that is used all over the ship. And I also found the coffee poured in the dining rooms to be foul, so perhaps I don't like illy.  However, I enjoyed the french press coffee in the Coffee Connection.

I would agree with you in the illy coffee blend is a bit naff. I am not sure why Regent continue to supply this, although I am sure that a fair number do like the flavour.

There so many wonderful blends out there. I am actually tempted to take some of my favourites with us. For me the domestic Vietnamese is my all time best

Thanks to Jonoro7 re the decaff as the other half has a very low tolerance for caffeine.

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

For us  - not!   Double Nespresso intenso each morning.  Life doesn't get better than that!   My TA has made sure that on our Splendour cruise we will have a Nespresso machine in our suite.  There is no better coffee (and it is Swiss!)

Wow! We're booked on a Splendor cruise in 2021, and I could no longer find any mention of an Espresso machine being provided in any cabin. Will your TA be giving you a special gift onboard, or will the Splendor be replacing Illy with Nespresso on that ship? If so, will the other ships roll this out as well as they upgrade in drydock? Hopefully this will be the case, and they just haven't mentioned it yet in their cruise information.

The espresso machine on Voyager doesn't make a decent cup of espresso. It makes less than a mouthful of espresso. You can put a second shot of watered down coffee into the cup, but that tastes like water. Using a second espresso container gives you what I would expect for a cup of espresso. It you need a little more, you'll have used up your daily ration, and you might need to ask for more to have anything other than decaf the next day.

15 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We are booked on the Splendor in a Grand Suite for March 20.  The suite comes with an espresso machine and I asked my TA if it was Nespresso.  She said either Nespresso OR Illy - so I asked for Nespresso and she has confirmed that.   

I'm not staying in a Grand Suite or higher so I may no longer have an espresso machine on Splendor since the Regent website doesn't mention it for any Splendor cabins. 

It seems odd that a choice of machines are available in the upper level cabins. I wouldn't expect them to carry a supply of each type, and let people choose which one they want for their cruise. If my TA said it was either Nespresso or Illy,  I would assume that information wasn't available yet, rather than assuming I had a choice.

I would rather have Nespresso,  but I'm going to assume that at best, an espresso machine is provided in my Penthouse cabin, and at worst, I'll need to wait until the Coffee Connection opens. I will also better appreciate my Illy on our upcoming Voyager cruise since I expect they haven't been removed since July.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Oh, there have been a few heated discussions about the tea selection...or lack thereof.

As a tea drinker, I will agree that the tea selection is very weak, esp for a "6 star" cruise line.

Another question that maybe someone can answer - my Mom can now only drink Decaffeinated coffee which was a huge adjustment. There is not much that see wants or needs, other than a good cup of coffee in the morning. After much trial and error, we found a brand that she likes and most people do not even realize is decaf (we have served it to guests and each time they are genuinely surprised to learn that it is decaf). If I brought some coffee with me, is there any type of french press or other similar methods to brew the coffee so Mom can have a decent cup of decaf at breakfast? The decaf served on the ship and at the coffee connection is undrinkable.

gnomie 😊

On 10/26/2019 at 11:32 PM, wcsdkqh said:

Apparently, there is nothing from America that Hamburger likes, except Regent.

Actually there is...my husband who is from New York and still has a US passport (in addition to his Swiss one).  I also happen to love Eggs Benedict, Corned Beef Hash, Talbots and Lands End. And the central California coast and golf in Florida...   And I am sure that given time I can come up with a long list...

6 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

As a tea drinker, I will agree that the tea selection is very weak, esp for a "6 star" cruise line.

Another question that maybe someone can answer - my Mom can now only drink Decaffeinated coffee which was a huge adjustment. There is not much that see wants or needs, other than a good cup of coffee in the morning. After much trial and error, we found a brand that she likes and most people do not even realize is decaf (we have served it to guests and each time they are genuinely surprised to learn that it is decaf). If I brought some coffee with me, is there any type of french press or other similar methods to brew the coffee so Mom can have a decent cup of decaf at breakfast? The decaf served on the ship and at the coffee connection is undrinkable.

gnomie 😊

Try Nespresso Decafeinnated - comes in all sorts of strengths.  You wouldn't know it was Decaf.   Or on board you could try what we do - go to the coffee machine at the Pool Grill, get a half mug of coffee (which can be decaf espresso I would think) and then have it topped up at la Veranda.  That tastes a lot better than the "stuff" they brew.

12 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

gnomie 😊

On Explorer (and presumably Splendor), they have French presses at the Coffee Connection. Not so on Navigator. Not sure about Voyager or Mariner.  

You also could bring your own French press along with the coffee, and get the  barista to provide the hot water. And if you’re concerned about the mess while onboard, search “French press brewing bags” on Amazon.  They’re expensive, but save a lot of trouble with grounds.

Edited by wishIweretravelling

On 10/26/2019 at 8:01 AM, tampadee said:

Can someone tell me if the espresso machine in a concierge cabin can make a regular cup of coffee?

We have been on two Regent cruises, both in Concierge. The first was on Mariner and the coffee machine made only espresso. 

Our second cruise was on the Explorer  Our coffee machine took two sizes of pods. The small pods produced a shot of espresso. I can’t remember the precise details but the larger pod filled a larger cup with something akin to an americano. I think there were two Start buttons, for small or large cups. 

my guess is that the newer machines are only on the Explorer, and maybe Splendor next year. 

3 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

On Explorer (and presumably Splendor), they have French presses at the Coffee Connection. Not so on Navigator. Not sure about Voyager or Mariner.  

You also could bring your own French press along with the coffee, and get the  barista to provide the hot water. And if you’re concerned about the mess while onboard, search “French press brewing bags” on Amazon.  They’re expensive, but save a lot of trouble with grounds.

Couldn’t you just bring your own ground coffee and have the barista use that in a French press?