Havana area change

jimbo5544

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

Maybe this is why you are so persistent about not allowing others to enjoy the Havana?

I have no problem with others that have paid for The Havana Experience to utilize the area.

We enjoy the company back there.

Those that think they are "entitled" to the area that have not paid for the Havana Experience  just because it is underutilized is what I have an issue with.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, Oldskl said:

As I stated earlier, the trip will be fun and looking forward to it as usual. I will address any concerns I have when I feel the need to do so. Agreed, there are issues with many things but this one can be easily addressed by Carnival. Not sure why I am expected to not voice my concerns, but you are allowed to do so at your leisure. It appears many are defending the exclusivity of this area for their own benefit. As many have stated, not all families are misbehaved, unruly, or inattentive to passenger needs. Why should my family be punished for a few bad apples, a security concern, or other bad parents? All the issues you stated above are being addressed with John Heald and Carnival. I always follow thru with my concerns!

This has been an amusing thread.  I happen to enjoy being able to utilize the Havana pool area at night in the peace and quiet.  I chose to be in that area and I chose to pay extra.  I chose to not have little kids running around doing what kids do.  That said, if you don't like Carnival's policy, go elsewhere.  Looking forward to the Carnival Vista, aft wrap on 2/2/20.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

There is no angst, just a discussion my friend.

My daughter just turned six, so we would not put her in a seperate room from us. Many families have younger children and are in the same predicament. Our daughter loves going to Camp Ocean, and does so during the day for a few hours. Both my wife and I travel internationally extensively during the year, so this is our FAMILY time to catch up. While others are at the MDR, enjoying shows, playing at the arcade, or at the bars, we are hanging out at the whirlpool talking while my wife is also reading, and my daughter is pointing up at the stars and moon marveling at its beauty, normally from the warm, quiet, hot tub. I so enjoy seeing the excitement in her face with having the opportunity to spend some quality time with mom and dad. We do all the other things mentioned above constantly for business needs. Not why we cruise!

Many times, my family and I have to travel and live overseas for extended periods of time. I do pay for business or first class, even for my daughter, who is NOT excluded from traveling this way because she is five! Can you see the difference? Also not excluded from booking any hotel or resort we choose.

The yacht experience was a choice for others who appear to not want to be near children at all. A difficult option on a Carnival cruise. Honestly, having my home base in Florida, traveling to Asia, the Philippines, and South America, I am aware of many reasonably priced yachting options. We also have Virgin coming on line soon, so another reasonable choice for an adult only experience.

Carnival is a great value, and wonderful cruise line. Why I am always on it. Let's make it a wonderful experience for all to enjoy! 😎

It sounds like you live a very lovely life and are very fortunate to have a job that allows you to be able to travel with your family frequently.  So to others your complaining about one small issue not being fair to you sounds ridiculous.  Life is not always fair and there are bigger injustices in this world to be more concerned about.  Don't sweat the small stuff, right?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am really completely befuddled that there is so much angst about this.

If you have children under 12 and want to use the Havana area, book a Grand Suite or a Havana inside next to a regular inside and put them in Camp Ocean or Night Owls when you want to use the Havana pool area.  

As for the every man argument, I booked a Panorama sailing where I booked my hubs and I on an inside Havana and kids in a regular inside.  There was about $200 per person difference in the room from Havana inside to regular inside.  That's less than some excursions that only last for a few hours, and this is for a week. The cost of the inside Havana was less than a balcony.  

By comparison, to have 7 inches of extra leg room on an international flight, the cost goes up by $1400.

People already pay extra for perks like suites and "Faster to the Fun" and the Chef's table. 

And comparing a Havana room to a yacht is laughable. For starters, the price difference isn't even slightly comparable.  

We booked the Havana specifically because we can't afford a yacht.  I would love to be on Below Deck!  lol

2 hours ago, Oldskl said:

There is no angst, just a discussion my friend.

My daughter just turned six, so we would not put her in a seperate room from us. Many families have younger children and are in the same predicament. Our daughter loves going to Camp Ocean, and does so during the day for a few hours. Both my wife and I travel internationally extensively during the year, so this is our FAMILY time to catch up. While others are at the MDR, enjoying shows, playing at the arcade, or at the bars, we are hanging out at the whirlpool talking while my wife is also reading, and my daughter is pointing up at the stars and moon marveling at its beauty, normally from the warm, quiet, hot tub. I so enjoy seeing the excitement in her face with having the opportunity to spend some quality time with mom and dad. We do all the other things mentioned above constantly for business needs. Not why we cruise!

Many times, my family and I have to travel and live overseas for extended periods of time. I do pay for business or first class, even for my daughter, who is NOT excluded from traveling this way because she is five! Can you see the difference? Also not excluded from booking any hotel or resort we choose.

The yacht experience was a choice for others who appear to not want to be near children at all. A difficult option on a Carnival cruise. Honestly, having my home base in Florida, traveling to Asia, the Philippines, and South America, I am aware of many reasonably priced yachting options. We also have Virgin coming on line soon, so another reasonable choice for an adult only experience.

Carnival is a great value, and wonderful cruise line. Why I am always on it. Let's make it a wonderful experience for all to enjoy! 😎

They think they did

• Like 1

I don’t want an adult only experience. I love Carnival, I want a smaller ship feel on a large ship and I want my 14 and 16 year old with us. That is why I booked Havana. I didn’t book it until they made the change; I couldn’t justify the cost when I had access to an exclusive area from basically 10-4:30 (after breakfast and before our early dining).

BTW, pictures of it not being crowded is EXACTLY why I booked it. The last few cruises I have been on, the hot tubs were packed party areas and I avoided them. These look great!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, oumagic said:

BTW, pictures of it not being crowded is EXACTLY why I booked it. 

Yep.  The point of the restrictions and cost are to keep it "underutilized."  We like hot tubs and swimming pools at night.  On the Conquest class ships we do the hot tubs at the aft pool, but this is even better.   Only 16 days until we're sitting in a Havana hot tub on the Panorama!

Edited by naxer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, oumagic said:

BTW, pictures of it not being crowded is EXACTLY why I booked it. The last few cruises I have been on, the hot tubs were packed party areas and I avoided them. These look great!

For us too.  The idea that we can enjoy the pool and hot tubs at anytime of the day without all the kids and crowds is why we switched from a cove balcony to an interior Havana room.  Hated to give up the balcony, but figured the Havana area will be our balcony... and since we are travelling with friends we can enjoy it together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nissach said:

For us too.  The idea that we can enjoy the pool and hot tubs at anytime of the day without all the kids and crowds is why we switched from a cove balcony to an interior Havana room.  Hated to give up the balcony, but figured the Havana area will be our balcony... and since we are travelling with friends we can enjoy it together.

I think you are missing the point of our discussion. The Havana area is like this after 6 pm on this and all of our prior cruises. Therefore, prior to the new rule changes. Wouldn't it be fair and beneficial for others to enjoy this area if it is empty? It appears you believe it should sit empty in case you want to utilize it. Not very practical.

Currently on the beach in Aruba. Enjoy your next cruise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

I think you are missing the point of our discussion. The Havana area is like this after 6 pm on this and all of our prior cruises. Therefore, prior to the new rule changes. Wouldn't it be fair and beneficial for others to enjoy this area if it is empty? It appears you believe it should sit empty in case you want to utilize it. Not very practical.

Currently on the beach in Aruba. Enjoy your next cruise.

As I have stated in a previous post, I did not care that it was open to the rest of the ship after 7 pm.  But the rule has changed and it was obviously for some reasons.  Not sure what those reasons were, but it is now not open to the no Havana passengers after 7 pm. 

I do not believe it should sit empty in case I want to use it, but I do like the fact that it will be less crowded, even empty, for my enjoyment(and all the other Havana guests) as I/we have paid for that usage.  Enjoy Aruba! 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thesmiths said:

I have no problem with others that have paid for The Havana Experience to utilize the area.

We enjoy the company back there.

Those that think they are "entitled" to the area that have not paid for the Havana Experience  just because it is underutilized is what I have an issue with.

I would happily pay for the area if given the opportunity to do so! Who is really feeling entitled here? You and the others who want to exclude everyone else.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

It appears you believe it should sit empty in case you want to utilize it.

Better it sit empty when I don't want to use it, than it being crowded with people (who didn't pay the premium) when I do want to use it.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, nissach said:

As I have stated in a previous post, I did not care that it was open to the rest of the ship after 7 pm.  But the rule has changed and it was obviously for some reasons.  Not sure what those reasons were, but it is now not open to the no Havana passengers after 7 pm. 

I do not believe it should sit empty in case I want to use it, but I do like the fact that it will be less crowded, even empty, for my enjoyment(and all the other Havana guests) as I/we have paid for that usage.  Enjoy Aruba! 🙂

Give it up...

😂😂😂

44 minutes ago, naxer said:

Better it sit empty when I don't want to use it, than it being crowded with people (who didn't pay the premium) when I do want to use it.

As I have stated, I would gladly pay for the Havana experience if given the chance to do so! I also prefer having under-utilized areas available to all when unused. A very fair trade-off. If Carnival would provide a similar area for families, it would be equal terms for your argument. Review my prior posts for suggestions on this.

56 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

I would happily pay for the area if given the opportunity to do so! Who is really feeling entitled here? You and the others who want to exclude everyone else.

The difference is they are justly entitled because they paid for the experience. You, on the other hand, feel entitled to it because you want to have it and feel that it was taken away from you.

If the Havana pool area was rolled out on Vista without ever opening up to the public after a certain time I doubt we would be having this discussion. I think the change is a smart move on Carnival's part, and I'm guessing Carnival thought so too :). When your kids turn 12 you will pay for a Havana room, which is exactly what Carnival wants you to do. If they kept the rules the same, people may not book a Havana room knowing they can still access the area at night when they want to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, naxer said:

Exactly this! ^^^^.  I don’t want to decide to use the hot tubs after dinner in the Havana area and have to wait for others who are not Havana guests to get out. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

The difference is they are justly entitled because they paid for the experience. You, on the other hand, feel entitled to it because you want to have it and feel that it was taken away from you.

If the Havana pool area was rolled out on Vista without ever opening up to the public after a certain time I doubt we would be having this discussion. I think the change is a smart move on Carnival's part, and I'm guessing Carnival thought so too :). When your kids turn 12 you will pay for a Havana room, which is exactly what Carnival wants you to do. If they kept the rules the same, people may not book a Havana room knowing they can still access the area at night when they want to.

Obviously your opinion, and that is fine. Because you say I should wait until my daughter is twelve, I should accept that?I don't feel entitled too it, but would pay for it if given the option to do so. Carnival made the decision based on financial incentives and input from guests like yourself without the consideration of families. They would have no problem filling this area with families if it was opened up to all. Once again, this area is empty after six. I have provided a photo, and many years of experience to prove this fact. Let anyone enjoy it! And yes, we would still be having this discussion because I and my family are excluded from an area I truly enjoy.

5 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Exactly this! ^^^^.  I don’t want to decide to use the hot tubs after dinner in the Havana area and have to wait for others who are not Havana guests to get out. 

Then open the area up for all individuals to purchase, and you will be guaranteed only Havana guests are present. Simple solution!

1 minute ago, Oldskl said:

Obviously your opinion, and that is fine. Because you say I should wait until my daughter is twelve, I should accept that?I don't feel entitled too it, but would pay for it if given the option to do so. Carnival made the decision based on financial incentives and input from guests like yourself without the consideration of families. They would have no problem filling this area with families if it was opened up to all. Once again, this area is empty after six. I have provided a photo, and many years of experience to prove this fact. Let anyone enjoy it! And yes, we would still be having this discussion because I and my family are excluded from an area I truly enjoy.

This is entitlement right here.

These are Carnival's rules so yes, you should accept them. 

But instead, you think you should just be able to throw money at the problem to get your way. Entitled.

What gives the Havana its worth is the exclusivity factor. Opening it up to all takes that away so why should people pay a premium for it?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

This is entitlement right here.

These are Carnival's rules so yes, you should accept them. 

But instead, you think you should just be able to throw money at the problem to get your way. Entitled.

What gives the Havana its worth is the exclusivity factor. Opening it up to all takes that away so why should people pay a premium for it?

Exactly, why should any of us have to pay for additional exclusivity on Carnival, the family friendly cruise line. Having it exclusive just for you, and not everyone else is the epitome of exclusive behavior. Rules are made for the benefit of a few all the time, and can be changed.

In your way of thinking I should be able to use the Thermal suites and T- pool at the Spa in the evenings when nobody's there even though I didn't purchase a spa cabin or spa pass. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? 😎

• Like 8