Hotel in Manhattan or near Airport?

xcell

Here's the situation.

I arrive Thursday, Dec 19 at 10pm LGA but probably by the time I get bags, I'm out by 11pm.

Should I take an uber/taxi/car service to a hotel in Manhattan that night to avoid morning rush.

Or

Hotel near the airport and then uber/taxi/car service the next morning for my NCL cruise?

Hotel prices are an issue -- airport ones are less expensive but concerned about traffic next morning and these "surge" and "congestion" charges from the car services.

Edited by xcell

42 minutes ago, xcell said:

Here's the situation.

I arrive Thursday, Dec 19 at 10pm LGA but probably by the time I get bags, I'm out by 11pm.

Should I take an uber/taxi/car service to a hotel in Manhattan that night to avoid morning rush.

Or

Hotel near the airport and then uber/taxi/car service the next morning for my NCL cruise?

Hotel prices are an issue -- airport ones are less expensive but concerned about traffic next morning and these "surge" and "congestion" charges from the car services.

I'd save the money and stay near LGA. You really don't have to worry that much about rush hour traffic the next morning because you can leave your hotel well after the morning rush. It's not as if you have to be at the cruise terminal at 9 am. Leave the hotel at 10 or 10:30 .

Edited by njhorseman

xcell,  looks like you will be on NCL Bliss;  I agree with njhorseman;  just book hotel at LGA;  I have stayed at Marriott and Courtyard Marriott across from ariport.  I have also stayed at Hyatt Place too.  

Thanks...

Ok next problem --- which hotel would you stay at...

Choice #1 Fairfield in Astoria -- free hotel shuttle 

Choice #2 Best Western Plus close to the Queensboro bridge -- no free shuttle, but $60 dollars cheaper.

My concern is the LGA airport (arriving terminal D) late at night (11pm) -- if it would be easier just to take an Uber to a hotel (in which case, might as well take the BW) or wait for a shuttle (not sure where the pick up is but I feel that the Uber would be easier to get to).

29 minutes ago, George C said:

I would prefer staying in Manhattan. Still can get a drink and pizza or pastrami before going to bed. 

I agree. Use a hotel booking site to locate a Manhattan hotel in your price range. The area around the Best Western is not great and reviews in TripAdvisor talk about noise near the Fairfield. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I would prefer staying in Manhattan. Still can get a drink and pizza or pastrami before going to bed. 

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

I agree. Use a hotel booking site to locate a Manhattan hotel in your price range. The area around the Best Western is not great and reviews in TripAdvisor talk about noise near the Fairfield. 

Even in the city that never sleeps I'm not sure that I'd recommend that someone from out of town should be wandering around looking for a pastrami sandwich at midnight. and I think both of you are ignoring what seems to be a pretty obvious desire by the OP to save some money since all they're really looking for is a place to get some sleep after a late arriving flight. The OP isn't looking to eat or go sightseeing...the OP is going to sleep when they arrive at the hotel. It hardly matters if the neighborhood isn't the fanciest if all you're doing is getting out of a taxi, Uber or hotel shuttle van and walking into the hotel lobby. the next morning they'll take an Uber or taxi to the cruise terminal. 

4 hours ago, xcell said:

Thanks...

Ok next problem --- which hotel would you stay at...

Choice #1 Fairfield in Astoria -- free hotel shuttle 

Choice #2 Best Western Plus close to the Queensboro bridge -- no free shuttle, but $60 dollars cheaper.

My concern is the LGA airport (arriving terminal D) late at night (11pm) -- if it would be easier just to take an Uber to a hotel (in which case, might as well take the BW) or wait for a shuttle (not sure where the pick up is but I feel that the Uber would be easier to get to).

I wouldn't assume the Uber will be easier to get to than the hotel shuttle. With the construction at LGA ride share and black car pick ups have been in one of the parking garages and also taxi pick ups may require taking an airport shuttle bus to a central location. In other words don't count on any transportation being able to pick you up at the curb in front of your airline terminal, and the situation is fluid...it could easily change by the day you're traveling.

If your primary objective is to spend as little as possible then stay at the Best Western Plus. the money you'll spend on the Uber will be more than offset by the $60 cheaper room rate, and you'll probably save a few dollars on your Uber ride versus the Fairfield from the hotel to the cruise terminal the next day.

2 hours ago, xcell said:

Thanks.

My main goal is a sleep and then the next morning off to the port.

Rush hour is after 10am?

Rush hour will  be over before 10 am...but in Manhattan traffic is never going to be light, so if you're not used to big city traffic you may very well think that rush hour never ends. :classic_biggrin:

Seriously...don't over think this by trying to figure out when traffic is going to be lightest. Just leave the hotel by 10 or 10:30 and you'll be at the cruise terminal in plenty of time for your cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

Currently - cannot be sure LGA's shuttle/transfer operations won't be different by mid-December with the holidays & busy airport, as compared to now.  However,  by 10 pm ... it's mostly all arrivals with very few, if any, departures for all terminals (including "D" used mainly by Delta) - luggage are usually out on the carousels pretty quick once the plane is at the gate.   

To get to an Uber, you still (for now) need to take a free airport shuttle over to Terminal B - blue route - to meet them (all FHV, including car services) ... taxis are available at D. F or all hotel shuttles, you need to take a different free airport shuttle (red) route over to "A" (Jet Blue's terminal, mostly) on the far side via local streets, leaving the airport (yes ... faster than zig-zag thru airport construction zones) to then wait for the hotel shuttle.  

Call the hotel's local # directly (not 800# as they are clueless) to ask about their late night free shuttle pickup procedure, i.e. LGA Marriott or the Courtyard ... which is "close" to your arriving "D" if they are able to come directly to the terminal.  

Late night getting out of the airport, the fastest/easiest way is to find the nearest taxi - direct at all terminals (subject to change) - little or no lines & wait - for a quick ride to a hotel for some sleep.  BW would be "my" vote for your choice via taxi (and, if you "want" to go to T-B, Uber pickup is there - might save you a few bucks -even a taxi will not cost you more than $15 or $20 including tips)   Astoria Fairfield is OK, another CC stayed there a while ago, it's fine but ...  If you rather be across the highway at the Marriott, a 5 minute - very short/quick trip - by taxi but probably 30 minutes via shuttles going around !! - get into the taxi first (cannot refuse the ride) & tip him very nicely for that $10 ride (in a very generous way ...) 

If your BW is booked on a refundable rate & can be cancelled - it might be possible to find a better one with a lower rate with those discount/mobile booking app ... but it's the holidays & not necessary comforting with the uncertainity.  

Long story short - as NJH detailed above - don't "over think" this.  Here's a tip for weekday trip in the morning into Manhattan, the BW is practically near the bottom of the Ed Koch (59th Street) Bridge w/o toll - be sure to leave by 9:45 a.m. to take advantage of the HOV-2 car pool on the entire upper level of the crossing into Manhattan (driver + you = 2 or more) ... you will zip right thru and onto Midtown East, another 20-30 minutes at most, with slow cross-town traffic - to get to MCT/Pier 88-90, etc.  Use Carmel, Dial 7 for a flat rate ... Uber is always an option. 

• Like 1