Ramblings from the Sailing the Suez Oct 26 to Nov 16th.

1982CruzStart

I did book a private excursion for my mom and me with Ramses Tours.  We booked the tour from Safaga for the 2 day with overnight in Luxor. 

I worked with Nada Yehia on putting the trip together.  Nada was very easy to work with and responsive. 

Day 1

Our guide was Hassan Ashour and the driver Moustafa. They were waiting by the ship with a sign when we disembarked. 

We were in a Toyota 4 door vehicle.  

The guide provided information about Luxor and Egypt as we traveled but did allow us some time for napping. 

We visited Karnak first then Luxor.  Our guide was a wealth of information and with the crowds at the temples, we easily maneuvered around the sites; while he told us about the history of what we were seeing. 

Lunch was included both days of the tour.  We were taken to a local place and discussed our preferences with our guide. He placed the order for us.  There was a lot of food.  The chicken, rice, and white bean & tomato dishes were very good. 

After lunch we were given the option to shop with our guide or go to the hotel. We chose the hotel. 

We stayed at the Steigenberger Hotel and had a beautiful view of the Nile from our balcony. 

Dinner was on our own and we ate in the Italian restaurant in the hotel. 

Our guide suggested we meet him the next morning at 5am. He arranged to have the hotel provide a boxed breakfast to take on the road.  (We were given the option to start later but chose to go at 5.)

Day 2

Bright and early we started our day.  It was well worth waking up early. 

We saw the hot air balloons at sunrise. 

When we arrived at the Valley of the  Kings, we were the first to arrive for the day and at almost all of the tombs we visited we were the only ones inside.  The added bonus of starting early was the weather - still cool and shady. 

Next we went to Hatshepsut’s temple.  The crowds were low and we enjoyed this one too. 

Finally, it was off to the Valley of the Queens.  

Our guide did have us stop at a local alabaster store  and an oil store. We could have declined but we did not press the issue and went.  He told us to feel no obligation to buy. 

The day before, I had mentioned to the guide I liked falafel.  He surprised me with some. While at first a bit nervous to try it, I did eat it. The falafel was piping hot fresh out of the oil.  So I took the chance. Glad I did, it was delicious and I was fine. 

After this morning of touring the guide offered to take us to additional locations but we were tired so we asked to go back to the ship.  We were on the ship by 2:30pm. 

Additional information 

The cost per person for the tour which included guide, driver, hotel, Luxor, Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Hateshput’s temple, Valley of the Queens, two lunches, and breakfast was $320. 

There were additional fees for Tutankhamun’s Tomb $20, Nefertari and Seti tombs were  each $100.  

Downside

Only downside, I think there was a problem for the driver to get back down to the ship. So, they dropped us off at the main port terminal and the guide walked us down to the ship and carried our things.  Perhaps if we had nudged them they would have tried harder but after the 3 hour drive back, we were fine with walking. 

7BF3E7B8-50BE-4100-979E-B5BC35509775.jpeg

9141C85A-3DCA-4FB1-9B18-8873BFF89DA1.jpeg

FE983556-C5CD-40A0-8942-838E10354674.jpeg

710E84FA-E2F4-4234-AD05-4E5B9270401C.jpeg

22F43261-6D9C-41A6-813B-5C5C1F1A3EBF.jpeg

DCE3F4BF-5472-422D-9DC5-D36CE15C3B12.jpeg

EFE8707C-62F5-4300-8028-C9A7CE5C7179.jpeg

3D67533C-CE14-4CEB-AEB8-DE4309E886F3.jpeg

59D23477-A7F8-43C4-8BCC-E5F89180371A.jpeg

926EB30C-F3F1-4FA0-A811-B0E572AD5C83.jpeg

• Like 3

We are scheduled for this cruise next November.  One of the main reasons is for the port stop where we can go to see Luxor which has always been a life long wish to see.  As I read about the experience from 1982CruzStart and Flossie009 and looked at their breathtaking pictures we are even more excited for the cruise.  But I have two questions that I hope either can answer for us.  1) The cruise is about 1 year out for us.  Is it too far away to book the Luxor overland trip or should we wait until we are closer?  Does this tour book up really quickly?  2)  You both reference the 3.5 hour bus trip to Luxor.  Are there any rest stops along the way?  I can usually manage a bus trip of 1 - 1.5 hours before I need a comfort stop.  I know 3.5 hours is just too long for me to travel comfortably.  Can anyone share their experience on this aspect of the tour?  Thanks for the wonderful posts!

Hamasgirl.  We are also on this cruise next November.  We have already booked the overnight in Jerusalem and Luxor. Also the 3 night end of cruise tour in Dubai.

Looking forward to meeting you next November.  There is a roll call open that you can join and speak to others on this cruise

Rosemary

This is Oksana. One of the staff I recognized from our last cruise.  She took good care of us on the last one and is doing the same this cruise.  She received a well deserved promotion before starting her current contract to Voyager.  

Congratulations to Oksana. 

IMG_09112019_205159_(768_x_1280_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hamasgirl said:

1) The cruise is about 1 year out for us.  Is it too far away to book the Luxor overland trip or should we wait until we are closer?  Does this tour book up really quickly?  2)  You both reference the 3.5 hour bus trip to Luxor.  Are there any rest stops along the way?

1) I would book an overland tour early as they are popular. The cost will be added to your invoice so you will not have to pay for it until final cruise payment is due

2) No stops en route. There is a restroom on the bus.

The tombs in the Valley of the Kings & the Valley of the Queens vary in size; mainly dependant on how long the tomb builders had to prepare.

Tutankhamun’s tomb was the smallest we visited, whereas Seti 1’s tomb was huge with many separate chambers.

When visiting Luxor be prepared for hot weather and plenty of exercise ............... but the wonders to be seen are so worth the effort.

62989372-9285-42C0-BD2A-68A035553523.thumb.jpeg.ae1b7bc1fa6c92bc09374a01cf5278ee.jpeg

Not much to see at the surface

7AD65239-542D-4354-9CDB-5895136A3BD3.thumb.jpeg.39cebb26f0dd5e6f6f2aabb2a8c2ee67.jpeg

Some of the tombs have been dug deep into the rock with multiple chambers (in some the archaeologists are still excavating deeper to find the full extent)

Reaching the chambers involves negotiating stairs and ramps:

40AF2BC3-C6D5-4347-931A-40BB537A0158.jpeg.a1ff0d4757ee852a7723baf9e9874ca8.jpeg

CBF4F14E-BC4E-45A3-BBBE-FA433E61D408.thumb.jpeg.e1ed87b8da0e924c9bc475c9c2d2bb05.jpeg

7513C895-F9AD-40D0-856E-A5C7EEA424F0.thumb.jpeg.6bb09e94ed13eb4dd13f144cda9b17a7.jpeg

When we were at the Valley of the Kings I don’t believe we were allowed to take pictures.  Is this a new thing?  Absolutely beautiful to see your photos!  I was on verge of heat stroke so my memories are fuzzy.   I love traveling along with you!  

Edited by forgap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forgap said:

When we were at the Valley of the Kings I don’t believe we were allowed to take pictures.

Bizarrely, we were allowed to take pictures with cellphones within the tombs but if you wanted to use a camera then there was a requirement to purchase an additional camera ticket 🙄. Work that one out?? 

One of our favourite images:

58804013-7B4D-4FAE-8B90-6F15ED0FE8BD.thumb.jpeg.e815197e18ac3d5b7f20fea947ee4758.jpeg

The ancient Egyptian artists were so skilled ................ consider that the work was executed in dark chambers lit only with oil lamps .................. and that their art was designed to be sealed away from living eyes.

We are so fortunate to now be able to see the results of their years of work, sympathetically lit by electricity and protected by de-humidifiers.

Queen Hatshepsut ruled Egypt for 21 years until her death in 1458BC.

We made a brief photo-stop to see her mortuary temple on the West Bank of the Nile, near the Valley of the Kings.

It is difficult to judge the scale of this 100ft high structure built into the cliff face. Apparently the colonnaded tiers were originally surrounded by lush gardens.

70304D63-7EB8-489C-807A-B3A8243FBE79.thumb.jpeg.da197119101939470fd524b7b13cdfe8.jpeg

This monument was built nearly 1000 years before the Parthenon in Greece.

Some visitors have a unique way of viewing the area from above:

E6AAD6DA-15B3-46C0-BBD0-DA06477E4206.thumb.jpeg.6f7b74192011e303733ab0f32d2c415c.jpeg

Spectacular pictures from all!  This itinerary is so special, with so much to see.  Thank you all for sharing your experience.

south park, we also used Ramses / Ramisside for a private overnight to Luxor when we on Oceania Nautica last year.  We were very pleased with the experience.  For our overnight hotel, we had upgraded to the Winter Palace for our accomodations, and we fortunate to have been assigned the bedroom of the Howard Carter suite, a wonderful corner room overlooking the Nile and just down from Luxor Temple.  What a treat.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise everyone.

• Like 1

Loving hearing all about your trips to Luxor.  Having done this on a Uniworld Nile trip just a few years back, and having the overnight in Safaga coming up in April 2021, we've pretty well decided not to make the effort, although if we hadn't been I certainly would.  Some of your pictures just transport me right back there.  But the heat and the strenuous walking probably would dissuade me now.  Although I was very interested to hear South Park's report on their private tour--that certainly is the way to travel, especially since we could go at our own pace.  And the costs sound fairly reasonable considering Regent's prices (I only have them in CAD, but extrapolating it's something like $950 pp?)

South park, did you have any anxiety about your tour operator getting you back to the ship in time?

Yesterday was very windy so unable to use the open decks. This had the knock-on effect that inside La Veranda was very crowded & busy for lunch. Today looks to be a lot calmer.

Last evening we had a very enjoyable meal in Chartreuse with @south park.

We were then just in time to see the production show, “Hollywood Musical”; a stressful show for the cast because of the number of costume changes, but they gave an excellent performance.

Finally off to the Horizon Lounge for Liars Club (Call my Bluff). The panel, giving their word definitions, comprised Margaret (CD), Marla (Social Hostess) and the two visiting performers, Danny & Panos.

It was hilarious; Danny being a comic by profession; Marla with her usual “When I was a little girl growing up in Alabama............”; and who knew that a normally serious classical pianist could impersonate so well the sleazy owner of a Greek Taverna 🤣

This morning is the “Country Fair” on deck. I will try to post more photos later but the Wi-Fi is very poor again today 😕

As Susan said the internet is slow today but will try to show a couple of photos. 

The first is the chicken and duck terrine with pistachios from lunch in CR. There were 2 but it wasn't until I had devoured the first I decided I should post. These little circles were some of the most delicious food I have eaten on this cruise. 

The next is the seared foie gras from the every day dinner menu in CR. It was tasty but could have used a bit more of the smear. 

Last is the entree size of the king sea scallops with lemon cream sauce (delicious) and some steamed broccoli.  It took me forever to ask if it was available because the menu says steamed vegetables but doesn't specify what they are. 

Overall another delicious dinner. 

IMG_11112019_111030_(960_x_1024_pixel).jpg

IMG_11112019_111053_(960_x_1024_pixel).jpg

IMG_11112019_111123_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

We had another time change last night, thankfully the last one so another slow morning getting moving. 

I wish I had read the program last night more thoroughly as I thought there would be a remembrance day service at 11 that I wanted to attend but it was held at 9:15 so by the time I checked it was already over. 

NEVER FORGET.

After 4 days at sea the Captain predicted arriving in Salalah up to 1 hour late. In the event we arrived two hours late.

Our excursion, “Scenic Salalah”, was rescheduled for the afternoon rather than the morning. The knock-on effect was that we could not view the interior of the Mosque (only open till 11am) and shops were closed.