Explorer Dry Dock 10/29 - 11/11/19 Please Confirm!

xrvlcruiser

Decorating stuff except for the sight line. It will be interesting to see how that's done since I heard that those big pillars are "supports", not decoration.

I - and others - will let you know . . .

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Those big pillars surround much smaller steel posts.  Hopefully they also get rid of those small steps in theater.  It would be nice if they modified the rear stairs from Deck 4 to 5 90 degrees to allow a larger elevator "lobby" on Deck 5. As for Compass Rose, it would be nice if they could deaden the sound by putting a lot more soft surfaces.

Marc

We got off the ship today.  It was a great cruise but internet was poor.  Yes, they will dry dock in  Marseille.  I know they are replacing carpets and drapes.  They were replacing hallway ceilings on 8th floor while we were onboard. Canyon Ranch will end their contract December 7th.  The manicurist said none of the current employees on Explorer will stay on...they don’t like Steiner and wouldn’t work for them.  

What would you expect the CR people to say?

I've been on enough cruises over the years and been to enough of the Spas on board - although I don't do much - some of the people are good, some are not and for me at least,  it has no connection to which company they work for.

Peggy

On 10/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, mrlevin said:

Those big pillars surround much smaller steel posts.  Hopefully they also get rid of those small steps in theater.  It would be nice if they modified the rear stairs from Deck 4 to 5 90 degrees to allow a larger elevator "lobby" on Deck 5. As for Compass Rose, it would be nice if they could deaden the sound by putting a lot more soft surfaces.

Marc

I sure hope they fix those theater steps,,,need a gradual incline. Those are dangerous and poorly lit and dark carpets.

Remarked about this in reviews,,and saw several people,,inc. ME. FALL ,,even when aware.

Poor design.Doubt they ll go thru the expense tho. Booked several more cruises on Explorer,,but thats an irritating problem.

I also just got off the Explorer Oct 29.  Sorry we missed each other crusin7!  And on deck 9 they were starting to do something with the ceilings.  Cruise was fantastic, and the Explorer, even as it was going into dry dock, was as beautiful as ever!  Our butler (yahoo, Prakash again!!) told us they are replacing carpets and doing a lot of touch ups.  They will be working 24/7 with apparently about 1,000 workers/contractors coming and going.

6 hours ago, alexandra cruiser said:

That PLUS better lites,,might help a LITTLE.

Just got off awhile ago and nothing was done .Get back on in Jan.and really HOPE it s changed.

Odd they put in since so many of guests are seniors,,and not as agile or see as well,sadly.

Sounds like others feel same way,and they are aware.NOW  DO something.

I’d be very, very surprised if this isn’t addressed in the upcoming refurb.  A dangerous oversight in the design of the ship.  I’m still in my 50s and in relatively decent shape and I’ve almost tripped on those ‘risers’ (you can’t even really call them ‘steps’) several times.  A contrasting edging and/or some subdued accent lighting would take care of it.  I’d think some LED strip lights along the underside of the lip would take care of the problem...

On 11/1/2019 at 9:42 AM, alexandra cruiser said:

I sure hope they fix those theater steps,,,need a gradual incline. Those are dangerous and poorly lit....Poor design

Many of the floor lights in the Explorer Constellation Theater were actually installed "up side down," thus rendering the lights useless.  This error has been pointed out to the staff ans hopefully these light will finally  be corrected during this dry-dock.

J

It seems MANY others have been bothered by this theater step problem,,and have made their ideas about fixing it known to staff in different ways.Now lets just hope they indeed listened and it will be corrected. Can t say they didnt know,thats for sure.Wonder if anyone has contacted the company and asked directly,,,still have a few days in drydock.??Or perhaps a company rep reads these posts and could comment??

Like carrying coals to Newcastle as to past comments on Theater steps. 

We were on two of the initial series of 2017 Explorer cruises.   Immediately noticed this safety issue.   Made continual comments--personal and in writing--to onboard management.   This was, and apparently remains, a series of accidents waiting to happen.  

Nothing changed   Several subsequent Explorer visits, the latest of which was BTB this late August and most of September.   Same situation.  My eyesight has certainly not improved.  Neither has lighting, or some measure to ameliorate discerning one step from the next.  Again--verbal comments onboard; followed by similar written ones.   Recommended just a simple, quick-fix:  A strip of reflecting tape.  Well, sure--there are problems with that, like frayed tape coming off and creating another problem.   

Whatever.   

Our upcoming Regent experience will be aboard Splendor in a little more than four months.  Trust this lighting and step problem will not have been replicated on this "sister" to Explorer.

GOARMY!