Soda Package... How Does it Work?

The7Cs

First timer here - we'll be on the Sun this month! Wooo! 

Anyway, we purchase the soda package for our teen boys, and as we were going over the do's and do not's of the cruise with them, the asked how they actually get the soda... and I had no idea?

Do they just go to restaurant and self serve fountain drinks?.. Or is there some other procedure they have to follow?

Also, I assume tap water (not bottled) is also available?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, The7Cs said:

First timer here - we'll be on the Sun this month! Wooo! 

Anyway, we purchase the soda package for our teen boys, and as we were going over the do's and do not's of the cruise with them, the asked how they actually get the soda... and I had no idea?

Do they just go to restaurant and self serve fountain drinks?.. Or is there some other procedure they have to follow?

Also, I assume tap water (not bottled) is also available?

Thanks!

If you are seated at the MDR or Specialty Restaurant you can order from your waiter. Other than that, the kids need to walk up to any bar and order their sodas. Tap water is available at all restaurants, bars and buffet. The buffet also has a self serve with juice in the morning or flavored waters the rest of the day. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Tap water is available at all restaurants, bars and buffet.

And in your stateroom.

We filled up big plastic bottles with water before venturing out in port, so we never were thirsty. Ship's tap water just cannot be beaten with any bottled water.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, salty dingo said:

Ship's tap water just cannot be beaten with any bottled water.

Amazing how many times I hear this claim, when it is simply not supported in any kind of reliable way.  It's not that the tap water on cruise ships is bad per se, but rather the hyperbole suggesting that it's the best water on the planet is what should be scrutinized, as this Royal Caribbean Employee concurs:

https://www.quora.com/How-safe-is-the-drinking-water-on-cruise-ships

(James Abbgy, Shipboard IT at Royal Caribbean 2016-present)

"... The treated and filtered stuff is generally safe, depending on where you get it. I wouldn’t drink the tap water. It’s held to less of a standard that (sic) water that is specifically meant for consumption. I wouldn’t say it’s “unsafe”, but I don’t drink it..."

image.png.9b06836fa9bdaf8f049fb9a3bbd41142.png

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 2

The POP SODAS in the mini-fridge are NOT part of the Soda Package.

Do NOT confuse - hands OFF !

NOT included in Soda Package !

As noted above places to get a SODA:

Bar

Pool or entertainment venue with waiter service

Restaurant

Beverages can be taken back to cabin or most anywhere on the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CookieShip said:

I believe soda package only comes from their spray gun into a glass or a plastic cup depending on the venue you're getting it from. They can get two at a time.

You are correct.....  the description clearly specifies "fountain soda" not cans

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Sorry - I know you can get cans through the beverage package - didn't know it was different.

You will find CAN sodas in the mini-fridge (NOT part of soda package) and there will be some

bars that have cans (ginger ale club soda tonic root beer etc. not all ships are the same).

The newer larger ships will more in likely have the gun dispensing equipment and cans for the

not so frequent requested items i.e. tonic.

Where there are cans NCL will open and pour the beverage into a plastic cup the can is NOT
usually given to the guest - you maybe able to bribe tip ask request cans open and unopened

from the bar tender but it is policy NOT to do this - something to do with recycling trash --- 

easier to do the recycling at the point of origin rather than afterward in mounds of trash.

I had the soda package last year on the escape you just show them the card DO NOT hand them the card you will get charged for the soda that happened to me at o'sheehan's had to go to gust services to get it taken off.

5 hours ago, oliver35 said:

I had the soda package last year on the escape you just show them the card DO NOT hand them the card you will get charged for the soda that happened to me at o'sheehan's had to go to gust services to get it taken off.

At the bars, showing them the card was enough. At sit down places, they sometimes took the card and sometimes they just needed to see it. I didn't get charged extra when they took it.

16 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

How much are the sodas in the mini-fridge?

On my last cruise, they were $3, $3.60, including the 20% gratuity .  On earlier cruises, they were $3.45, $4.14 including the 20%.  I don't know if the price difference is because of ship, location or - shock - a price reduction?

Come to think of it, I think they were smaller cans, which might also account for the price difference.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No more sippy cups. Your room key has the word “soda” printed on it. 

I have always gotten one by asking at the Atrium bar.  They keep them behind the counter.  I get them only as second-rate souvenirs; they are neither attractive nor particularly large. RCI's cups are nicer and much larger.  They also work with RCI's great "freestyle" soda machines (but overall I prefer NCL).

Edited by FLAHAM