On QE to Cape Town

LadyL1

Today we joined the QE after some years absence for our voyage to Cape Town and holiday in SA. The queues in the old terminal building ( from dock gate 4) looked horrendous around 1.00 pm, but due to an unfortunate accident a few weeks back, I had assisted boarding, for which I was very thankful. This service was excellent, but have to say, I think  with a journey that is not a UK round trip, the numbers requesting this seemed quite small.
We had the British Imperial Military Band in full uniform performing in the Queen Room this afternoon, and this evening at 5.30 pm there is to be a firework display, so we presume QM2 we be a part of this as well as she leaves for NY.

After muster drill it was obvious a lot of people were still hanging around and some pestering the waiters, as requests for early sitting has not been granted to many. The ship is full.
Captain Inger Klein Thorhauge will be taking us on this our first crossing of the equator.
If you wish to hear of life on board I will post as the internet permits!

22 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

If you wish to hear of life on board I will post as the internet permits!

Yes please, but good luck with the internet. We just got off the QE trip to the Canaries and the internet was woeful - both in cabin and on the PCs in the library.  I pity anybody who actually pays for it!

Last night the firework display in Southampton was spectacular. The Ventura departed before they started (a very noisy deck party going on there as they passed). We enjoyed being outside  on deck 9, without it being too cold or getting soaked. As the display finished we left and the Aurora and QM2 followed.
We had an enjoyable dinner, and the wait staff in our section seemed very efficient indeed, as well as pleasant. 
In the Captain’s midday update we were told we were experiencing a Force 9, but this should abate late this evening. Prior to this in the theatre during the lectures the pounding of the waves on the bows, was extremely loud.
This lunchtime there was a small CC meeting in the Queens Room: it seemed all the others were going through to Australia. We sat there watching the fearsome attitude of the ocean!

A couple of observations 
1. Yesterday first muster drill we had ever attended where life jackets were not taken.
2. I think it is about time the cabin sofas were replaced!

3. The internet is terrible. (Agree with Ray66’s comment I have just seen)

Yes, much better without the troublesome lifejackets.

Other new observations you might notice:

Cosy red plaid/check woollen blankets supplied next to the steamer chairs on deck 3.

Yogurt now served openly in big bowls in the Lido rather than yogurt pots. Saves on plastic but not very hygienic I thought. I had yogurt topped with granola in glass bottles instead.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:15 PM, Ray66 said:

Yes please, but good luck with the internet. We just got off the QE trip to the Canaries and the internet was woeful - both in cabin and on the PCs in the library.  I pity anybody who actually pays for it!

Yes, we also disembarked on Friday from the Canaries trip. The internet was the worst we've ever had (or not had). Luckily we had the Diamond package.

The TV wasn't much better at times. They couldn't even get the rugby after advertising it.

Stewart

It is now late Tuesday morning. (I am not sure when I will actually be able to upload this blog)
We slept late after a rather fitful nights’ sleep, and missed the Britannia breakfast time. Captain Thorhaug made an extra broadcast again this morning about the weather and state of the seas! The ship was certainly moving around last night and we learnt that this was because of the 50-60 knot winds and the accompanying swell of the Bay of Biscay. The winds should be subsiding later today, the waves reducing to 4.5m. I think there are many on this ship who will be thankful for that, including me. Having this short term mobility inconvenience, it has been an effort and also makes one aware of the day to day challenges others have permanently. I managed a swim on Sunday before we departed from Southampton, and desperate for another as a means of exercise, but the pools are netted.
It is a pleasure to have so many nationalities on board including many Australians returning home after holidays. It really changes the dynamics of the atmosphere, I think for the better, rather than sailing with nearly a 100% British compliment. It is not everyday one can chat with a dairy farmer from “down under”, or those who live in the outback.
It is the first of the 4 formal nights before Cape Town, being the Black & White evening. Hopefully most of the pax will make it rather than being confined to their cabin, but noticed that the “little white bags” are still statistically placed and available for those in need!
Sadly the internet is not the best: I have found it much better on QV, but do not need it for anything other than personal use. It must be so frustrating for those who pay 💰 💰 and have a desire to work whilst away.
Food is always being mentioned on these threads, and I have to say, we have enjoyed everything we have eaten so far. I know this is subjective, and there are probably some who disagree. For all those who say the standards are slipping, I would just like to say, that the cost of cruising in real terms is far less than 15-20 years ago, so let’s be realistic. This fact often seems to be overlooked! Being on ship is a great way to travel: enjoy what is on offer. I feel very thankful to be sitting in comfort in the Commodore Club writing this!😉

• Like 3

Thank you for your blog. We are boardng in Cape Town and it is nice to be up to date before embarkation.  

I do hope the weather improves, it brings back memories of the QV crossing in January 2018 when Bermuda was missed on the way to Florida when we went into Praia de Vittoria for respite from the rough sea.

2 hours ago, Elephant1151 said:

Thank you for your blog. We are boardng in Cape Town and it is nice to be up to date before embarkation.  

I do hope the weather improves, it brings back memories of the QV crossing in January 2018 when Bermuda was missed on the way to Florida when we went into Praia de Vittoria for respite from the rough sea.

I was on that QV crossing and remember the day in Praia de Vittoria when the roped up deck chairs from the Lido deck blew over the rails onto the pier.  That was some voyage!

I will be on the QM2 in a few days for a westbound crossing, so anticipate better weather.

Years ago, I did a Cape Town to SOU trip on the QE2, so am sure you'll enjoy the reverse trip on the QE!

Yesterday evening the sea became relatively clam, the pools were opened and I managed a pre-dinner swim. It so relaxing to have the pool to oneself, and swimming is just what my physio ordered!
The black and white evening was enjoyable and we met with some lovely couples, again all going through to Oz. For the fashionistas, we did not see any dress horrors during the evening. The food in the MDR was again excellent: my husband had beef Wellington, and myself, the lobster which was succulent. We have not yet been to the theatre after dinner, but I think that will be for tonight as there is a young saxophonist performing.
There are still people who wished to be on early sitting who are now resigned that this will not be happening. So, for those who post with good intention, on how to get ones dining preference by going to see the Md, it is not always the case. 
Yesterday, my husband went to inquire as to why the internet is so diabolical, and was told “it is the same for everyone”!! CUNARD, this is not a good customer response.
We are now docked in front of of the Costa Faviolsa, and behind that is a beautiful Windstar ship. Lisbon is warm if somewhat overcast. A wonderful city to walk, but regrettably we did not manage to get around too much, the cobbles rather a nightmare to walk on at present. The shuttle in to town was useful this trip, ($3 pp each way for any type of saver fare as per the daily info).

Observation
I now realise how observant all the staff are in noting people with mobility issues, and so willing to help. In the MDR for breakfast and lunch, we have always been given a table near the entrance( as is our evening allocation) This was particularly appreciated when the seas were very rough and walking difficult even for the able bodied. I just wish some of these assisted pax were more generous with their thanks, as most are!

Elephant1151

We were also aboard QV on the TA you mentioned in your post above. Apart from loosing furniture, glass panels also went missing from deck 9. Probably one of the fiercest crossings we have been on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Internet may improve as seas calm down. Being a satellite link if the ship is bouncing about the receivers and transmitters in the domes on board would have difficulty getting a fix on the satellite. Just as with a sky dish at home the angle the dish needs to be at to point in the right direction doesn’t have much leeway so if the ship was moving a lot this would account for poor signal (tv too).

I've found connecting to the Wi-fi from your room is generally better if you are nearer the door into the corridor as this is closer to the ceiling mounted routers. Other places to get a good signal on QE were the theatre or Commodore Club.

happy sailing!

• Like 1

Really enjoying your posts LadyL1.  Look after QE for me as I board her on 20th December in Adelaide.

I hope the weather continues to improve.  I am surprised that everyone wants early sitting!  I have always preferred late sitting myself and every cruise I have been on, everyone wants late!

Continue having a great time!

cheryl

8 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

We are now docked in front of of the Costa Faviolsa, and behind that is a beautiful Windstar ship. Lisbon is warm if somewhat overcast. A wonderful city to walk, but regrettably we did not manage to get around too much, the cobbles rather a nightmare to walk on at present. The shuttle in to town was useful this trip, ($3 pp each way for any type of saver fare as per the daily info).

Do you remember where the shuttle left you off in town?  We'll be sailing to Lisbon ourselves in 2020 and would love to know.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Yesterday evening the sea became relatively clam, the pools were opened and I managed a pre-dinner swim. It so relaxing to have the pool to oneself, and swimming is just what my physio ordered!
The black and white evening was enjoyable and we met with some lovely couples, again all going through to Oz. For the fashionistas, we did not see any dress horrors during the evening. The food in the MDR was again excellent: my husband had beef Wellington, and myself, the lobster which was succulent. We have not yet been to the theatre after dinner, but I think that will be for tonight as there is a young saxophonist performing.
There are still people who wished to be on early sitting who are now resigned that this will not be happening. So, for those who post with good intention, on how to get ones dining preference by going to see the Md, it is not always the case. 
Yesterday, my husband went to inquire as to why the internet is so diabolical, and was told “it is the same for everyone”!! CUNARD, this is not a good customer response.

Observation
I now realise how observant all the staff are in noting people with mobility issues, and so willing to help. In the MDR for breakfast and lunch, we have always been given a table near the entrance( as is our evening allocation) This was particularly appreciated when the seas were very rough and walking difficult even for the able bodied. I just wish some of these assisted pax were more generous with their thanks, as most are!

Elephant1151

We were also aboard QV on the TA you mentioned in your post above. Apart from loosing furniture, glass panels also went missing from deck 9. Probably one of the fiercest crossings we have been on. 

I think you will be in for a treat. The young saxophonist that you refer to is Julian Smith I believe. He is a local man to us and we have had the pleasure of seeing him on several Cunard cruises. 

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

Do you remember where the shuttle left you off in town?  We'll be sailing to Lisbon ourselves in 2020 and would love to know.  Thanks!

We've done Lisbon a few times and it's a great city. I seem to remember the shuttle bus drops you off somewhere near the Triumphal Arch.

51HkNOiyeZL._SX466_.jpg

We have also walked round the old town which is opposite where the ship docks. If you don't feel like walking round, you can always catch one of the tuk-tuks.

Don't forget to go up on the top deck at sail-in and sail-away to experience sailing under the 25 de Abril Bridge. It's just like sailing under the VZ bridge.

Edited by Ray66

On 11/5/2019 at 7:43 PM, Elephant1151 said:

We were on the QM2 alongside the QV for a little while and yes, it was rather rough!! As you say, we also missed Bermuda, porting instead in the Ponta Delgado which was actually a rather nice place.  The ground stayed still and the weather was pleasant enough to sit outside a café drinking beer!!

11 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

On the many times I've been there it's always been Restauradores Square - Just up from the station on the same side of the square.

Edited by rakkor
clarify

We had a pleasant departure from Lisbon, and many enjoyed the optical illusion for the first time, of seeming that the QE would not sail without incident going under the “Singing Bridge” spanning the Tagus.
We had been docked at the Jtab below the Cathedral/Alfama District in the new cruise terminal.  (The shuttle was to Restourado Square by the station to Sinatra) Work has been going on for years restoring the old buildings (many which are in severe decline) in this area, making it an enticing gateway into the city for cruise passengers. It is a fabulous sight looking up at the centuries old whitewashed houses with terracotta roofs, closely packed together with many churches interspersed. However, I did notice that there is one glass box of modern architecture in the midst here, and thought how ugly and out of place it looked. I do like progressive buildings, but this just appeared an eye-sore, because it is in the wrong place.
This morning we awoke to high clouds and a calm sea. We decided to have a light breakfast on the back of deck 9, only one other lady there enjoying the warmth! Another solitary swim was possible before the deck seekers arrived. In future days this will not be so peaceful as the heat increases. Tomorrow in Tenerife it is possible that it will be be showery according to the Captain’s lunchtime broadcast.
We attended the second lecture of Riaan Manser, a South African explorer. He has 5 world firsts and 2 Guinness world records. He is a younger addition of Ranulph Finnes:  remarkably off-the cuff and very different to most Cunard speakers. His exploits include cycling solo around the African continent and many epic rowing adventures, some with his wife. The theatre was fairly full, but the sun had a greater draw to the outside for many.
We enjoyed our complimentary lunch in the  Verandah and my lemon sole was cooked to perfection! I am not a great steak eater, so I doubt we will go there in the evening as we used so to do, as no other fish is on offer.... but it is now a Steak House.
For the chocoholics reading this, my husband claimed that last night his chocolate fondant dessert with Belgian chocolate sauce topped with vanilla ice cream was one of the best he had had on a Cunard ship. Now that does not come lightly from him!
So far, maritime life viewing has been seabirds and one enormous jellyfish. Hopefully we will have some interesting sightings before we reach South Africa.

A few more observations.

We have not been cruising for 12 months, the last a Caribbean round trip on QV. It is noticeable that the sun beds are not now prepared with a rolled up towel.   Also there are not 2 swimming towels left in the shower room. A great way to cut down on laundry and be “greener”. 
A personal view is that I prefer the rear of deck 9 on QE, with the pool further astern. Also, it looks more open and tidier without the sought after cabanas, as on QV, that have a days’ possessions and junk left on them throughout sunlight hours , so they do not have to be shared!😤 (My rant over for the day!!)

• Like 1