Classic Soda Package

KSGal

It will be our family's first time on RC, LOS.  

Trying to decide about the classic soda package for the kids.  Personally, I don't drink pop very much.  That being said, does everyone in the cabin have to get the package?  And if we do get the package, where do you get drinks?  Do you have to wait along time?  I don't want my kids to have to wait to get their drink while we are all eating......just trying to figure out how it works exactly.

Thank you!

My wife, and one of my daughters, have always had the soda package so I can probably answer your questions.  You either need to have your souvenir cup, or your Seapass card with you to get soda.  The Seapass card will have the little Coca-Cola symbol on it designating you have the soda package, so bring that along to dinner of you want to order soda.

You can grab soda at any bar or other location where they offer it (like Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade, etc...).  Some ships have Coke Freestyle machines and if you want to use them you need your souvenir cup for those.  The first night of dining you will have to ask them for your soda and show them your card but typically after that they will remember and will bring the soda right away (if you have the same waiter).

Dan

I would not recommend buying in soda packages for kids.

On 20+ voyages my kids have been on, they never had one or needed one.

It is not a good value and they will not drink nearly as much as you think they will.

Your best bet is to bring along a couple 12 packs and keep it in the refrigerator in the room.

We bought it for our kids on our first two trips on the LIberty and feel like it was too expensive.  I am going to give them an option on our one for next year.  Basically, they will get half the cost of the soda package in cash value to spend on things that I think are a waste of money as well (like the arcade).  I will let them choose one or the other.  I guess I hope they pick $50 in arcade money over the soda package as it will save me money, but if they still choose the soda package then I guess that is fine too.  We are on vacation, but they aren't the ones paying for it.  😀

1 hour ago, KsucAts said:

We bought it for our kids on our first two trips on the LIberty and feel like it was too expensive.  I am going to give them an option on our one for next year.  Basically, they will get half the cost of the soda package in cash value to spend on things that I think are a waste of money as well (like the arcade).  I will let them choose one or the other.  I guess I hope they pick $50 in arcade money over the soda package as it will save me money, but if they still choose the soda package then I guess that is fine too.  We are on vacation, but they aren't the ones paying for it.  😀

If you bring on Soda, have to carry on and Rule is 12 pack per Cabin. Just heads up, have seen few turned away taking it back to Car, Also seen several packs on Naughty table at end of Cruise, not sure might have tried take on in Luggage

You don't say how old the "kids" are, my "kids" are now 26 and 20 😉 any how if they are teens, or pre-teens and hanging out with other teens you may want them to be able to just get a pop when they are with their friends. Also, if they like Powerade, Vitamin Water or sparkling water that is flavored then they may find that appealing. I might be wrong, but the only other way to get the Powerade would be buying a bottle at a bar (we picked some up for excursions but I can't tell you the price for the bottle as we had the Delux drink package). Otherwise there is ice water at the pool bars that is available all day and the MDR and windjammer have different juices and lemonade as well.

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I would not recommend buying in soda packages for kids.

On 20+ voyages my kids have been on, they never had one or needed one.

It is not a good value and they will not drink nearly as much as you think they will.

Your best bet is to bring along a couple 12 packs and keep it in the refrigerator in the room.

You are only allowed to bring one 12 pack of soda/water per cabin on board.

I wondered if we could bring a 12pk of soda AND 12 bottles of water.  But based on the quote below from the RCI website, looks like we can only bring one OR the other (or possibly a combo of the two).

"Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom."

1 hour ago, KsucAts said:

On our cruise on Ovation last spring so many of the arcade games weren't working that my son struggled to use the credits he had and we had 5 sea days. 

On the last cruise we bought differently depending on the child and what they would use. My oldest daughter doesn't drink soda but does have 2-3 speciality teas, 1-2 coffees plus 1-3 mocktails, so  we got her the refreshment package. She did use it enough to pay for the $18 a day it was on our sailing. My son had the soda package. He had 1-3 sodas plus 2-3 powerades per day so it did pay for itself. We didn't purchase anything for my youngest, she has tummy problems and can not have anything carbonated and really has to watch how much sugar she has so she saved her sugar allotment for ice cream on the pool deck and stuck to water. We did not carry any soda/water on board, just used the packages and brought reusable water bottles to fill on the ship. 

As for waiting for a drink at dinner, the sodas were brought our fairly quickly, we did have to wait a bit for adult beverages as well as a mocktail. 

25 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

They don't really care.

I have done it several times....

This is bad advice. They absolutely cared for us when we boarded the Navigator in March.  You can’t plan on them allowing any more than 12 per cabin.    Do not make decisions assuming you can bring more than 12 per cabin 

Dan

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

This is bad advice. They absolutely cared for us when we boarded the Navigator in March.  You can’t plan on them allowing any more than 12 per cabin.    Do not make decisions assuming you can bring more than 12 per cabin 

Really?

I can see the headline now:

"Kansas Family devastated after cruise line confiscates a $2.99 12 pack of soda."