Included wines.

amespana

A lot of the wines both in the package and included for free are changing. Many of the  ultimate package wines based on the list are currently unavailable on Journey but the substitutes offered are very acceptable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have rarely had a problem with the included wines. Especially now that there is a choice of two whites and two reds, in addition to the rosé which is now available. In the past, there was only one white and one red available, which meant that the included wines did not always complement one's choice of food. A Pinot Noir with beef just doesn't cut the mustard.

Edited by biggersn
Typo

On 11/13/2019 at 4:12 PM, NC&KY said:

I do hope you don't think you get everything listed without buying some sort of upgrade.

why would I think that?   My post clearly indicated that I was looking for a list of what is available without buying a package, which the above listed under (C) is.  😕 

Can somebody post the list of included wines? I have always been satisfied with the included wines with Azamara, but in the last time there are more complaints that they are not good quality. I do like good wines, but I would not like to “upgrade” paying more. Actually I expect the wines to be as good as they were before all the additional packages were introduced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Can somebody post the list of included wines? I have always been satisfied with the included wines with Azamara, but in the last time there are more complaints that they are not good quality. I do like good wines, but I would not like to “upgrade” paying more. Actually I expect the wines to be as good as they were before all the additional packages were introduced.

The included wines are limited and always changing except for Dark Horse which we can buy for $7.99 at home. You say you like “good wine” but all of AZ included wine is typically less than $10 per bottle at my local wine store and we find most of them barely drinkable. Even the upgraded beverage package the wines are typically less than $15 per bottle at my wine shop so we do not find it worthwhile . We try to buy wines in port and bring them aboard to limit the need to pay $40 per bottle with AZ for a very good $15 to $20 bottle we can purchased in port. Yes we drink the included wines for lunch or before dinner but are willing to pay the $10 corkage fee for a good bottle we brought on board for dinner or enjoy with no corkage fee in our suite.

Yes wine tastes are very subjective and some cheap wines are okay but we find most of the included wines on AZ to be below average which is why you see all the complaints.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

The included wines are limited and always changing except for Dark Horse which we can buy for $7.99 at home. You say you like “good wine” but all of AZ included wine is typically less than $10 per bottle at my local wine store and we find most of them barely drinkable. Even the upgraded beverage package the wines are typically less than $15 per bottle at my wine shop so we do not find it worthwhile . We try to buy wines in port and bring them aboard to limit the need to pay $40 per bottle with AZ for a very good $15 to $20 bottle we can purchased in port. Yes we drink the included wines for lunch or before dinner but are willing to pay the $10 corkage fee for a good bottle we brought on board for dinner or enjoy with no corkage fee in our suite.

Yes wine tastes are very subjective and some cheap wines are okay but we find most of the included wines on AZ to be below average which is why you see all the complaints.

I agree, the included wines are drinkable but are not really enjoyable.

I went to a wine store and bought wines that I enjoyed on Azamara.

Gnarly Head Cabernet $10.99--October 2019 cruise

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. --2017-18 cruises

Marlborough Vines--$14.99. Sale price $9.99

Matua--$15-- sale price $10

Kai  Mai $12, sale $10

Stone Bay. $13, sale $9

Edited by Tom47
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Journey for 16 days this month and found the include wines to be drinkable but not great.  We bought the Ultimate package as we had scads of OBC and were happy with the additional offerings.  In the end we felt as though we had to buy the package in order to have access to good wines.  But one can always pay as you go.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2019 at 3:09 AM, tv24 said:

We were on the Journey for 16 days this month and found the include wines to be drinkable but not great.  We bought the Ultimate package as we had scads of OBC and were happy with the additional offerings.  In the end we felt as though we had to buy the package in order to have access to good wines.  But one can always pay as you go.

We’ve just come off the Pursuit TA Lisbon-Rio. We were happy with the included offerings. We each found a wine we really liked and stuck to it (no problems getting hold of it when it was not one of the day’s offerings). I liked the David Frost Sauvignon Blanc and my DH liked the Viognier (not sure of the brand)

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

53 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We’ve just come off the Pursuit TA Lisbon-Rio. We were happy with the included offerings. We each found a wine we really liked and stuck to it (no problems getting hold of it when it was not one of the day’s offerings). I liked the David Frost Sauvignon Blanc and my DH liked the Viognier (not sure of the brand)

Thanks that sounds good. Do you know if Periquita was offered? I wonder if they would get new wines in Argentina.

Ivi

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

That's obviously your choice and it suited you but It's a poor reflection on the quality of the included wines if you decided to drink the same one every night.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

That's obviously your choice and it suited you but It's a poor reflection on the quality of the included wines if you decided to drink the same one every night.

Actually it’s because I really like Sauvignon Blanc and that was the nicest one offered and my DH prefers red wine but has had to stop drinking it. He’s become allergic to sulphites and reds have more. The Viognier was both to his taste (dry) and had few sulphites so didn’t affect him.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Actually it’s because I really like Sauvignon Blanc and that was the nicest one offered and my DH prefers red wine but has had to stop drinking it. He’s become allergic to sulphites and reds have more. The Viognier was both to his taste (dry) and had few sulphites so didn’t affect him.

I understand, has I said it obviously suited your needs but I must also say that we did not find many that we enjoyed on our cruise last June and payed for a few better ones.

7 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You may need to rethink that approach. White wine has more sulphites than red. It’s likely not sulphites he’s allergic to. Does he have any issue with dried fruit? Wayyyyy more than wine. 

https://winefolly.com/tutorial/sulfites-in-wine/

Edited by Cruise Junky

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

You may need to rethink that approach. White wine has more sulphites than red. It’s likely not sulphites he’s allergic to. Does he have any issue with dried fruit? Wayyyyy more than wine. 

https://winefolly.com/tutorial/sulfites-in-wine/

Thanks for that. Don’t know about dried fruit, he rarely eats it. 

10 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

It might be allergic reaction to histamines. Try un-oaked Barbera.

https://drinkpurewine.com/histamines-in-wine/

• Like 1