Included wines.

amespana

On 11/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, Henk123 said:

The list of upgrade wines from my June cruise on Pursuit. I did like the White Pinot Grigio and the 2 reds Pinot Noir and the Chianti

(U) Wine

Champagne & Sparkling

Rosé Wine

Nicolas Feuilatte, Brut, Chouilly (France)

Beringer, White Zinfandel (California) 

Santa Elvira Prosecco Extra Dy Treviso (Italy)

Caves D'Esclans "Whispering Angel"  Rosé, Côtes de Provence (France) 

Domaine Chandon Brut Classic (California)

White Wine

Red Wine

Wairau River, Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough (New Zealand)

Penley Estate "Phoenix"  Cabernet Sauvignon  Coonawarra (Australia)

The Seeker, Chardonnay (California)

Matanzas Creek Winery, Merlot, Sonoma County (California)

Bertani Velante  Pinot Grigio, Venezie Giulia (Italy)

Sokol Blosser, Delinea 300, Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley (Oregon)

Selbach "Fish Label" Riesling Kabinett Mosel (Germany)

Callia Alta, Malbec, San Juan (Argentina)

Gérard Bertrand Réserve Spéciale Viognier, Pays d'Oc (France)

Poggio Tempesta, Chianti DOCG, Toscana (Italy)

I am assuming that this is the Ultimate Package?  We have the premium but I am realizing that it will not do anything to wines so will probably upgrade to Ultimate.

We were on the Pursuit in Aug/Sept and we noticed a big change in the wines offered without an upgrade package.  We had 6 white wines over 21 days on the ship.  The same wines just kept rotating.  Like someone posted earlier, one is available in local stores for 6.99 a bottle.  Very disappointing for the Azamara price point.  I was on the Presidents cruise that went to Bordeaux before the Azamazing evenings started and Larry Pimentel was visiting various vineyards to find wines for Azamara.  When Azamara raised their rates and started including wine and other beverages, the wine selection was fantastic.  Now, not so much.  On this last cruise if we asked for one of the included wines from the night before because we did not like the wine served that day, we were told it was unavailable until the next rotation.  For the Azamara price point,  we should be allowed to have a glass of wine from a 6.99 bottle of wine that was in the rotation the day before.  

On 12/2/2019 at 6:36 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We’ve just come off the Pursuit TA Lisbon-Rio. We were happy with the included offerings. We each found a wine we really liked and stuck to it (no problems getting hold of it when it was not one of the day’s offerings). I liked the David Frost Sauvignon Blanc and my DH liked the Viognier (not sure of the brand)

The David Frost Sauvignon Blanc is rated a super low 3.3 on Vivino and it’s average retail price is € 5.34...  Not really something you would expect on a deluxe line that charges the prices Azamara does.  Happy for you you enjoyed it however! 

43 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

The David Frost Sauvignon Blanc is rated a super low 3.3 on Vivino and it’s average retail price is € 5.34...  Not really something you would expect on a deluxe line that charges the prices Azamara does.  Happy for you you enjoyed it however! 

We enjoyed it, too, Grandma.  I don't judge things solely by their price.  My $50 Timex keeps better time than my $5000 Rolex, and the clasp stays shut, besides.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I don't judge things solely by their price.  My $50 Timex keeps better time than my $5000 Rolex, and the clasp stays shut, besides.

Vivino don’t judge by price. The rating reflects the quality of the wines.

And nowhere did I say I “solely” judge on price. I do see it as one of many possibly indicators of quality however.

€5 wine doesn’t belong on a cruise line that charges the fares Azamara does. Although, if they can get away with it, good for them (from a business perspective) I guess. 

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 2

I like my wines onboard to be “special” to me, so I prefer to find ones I cannot get at home.  And whilst price is irrelevant, I want any cruiseline to devote an appropriate budget to any inclusions, the proportion being based on the overall cost of the cruise and what they advertise to be their “market position”.  

That said I picked up the best 2 euro Rose from a vineyard yesterday, very special indeed 

• Like 2

If I am not mistaken the Vivino App is mainly based on user feedback. A wine's rating here can be a bit unprecise to say the least. 
I think one should be able to expect a certain quality mark by Azamara when they shop for wines. The David Frost Sauvignon Blanc may be sold at €6 some places, but I think the cellar door price is more like €10.- 

Anyone with tastebuds will have different opinions and preferences about wine, but I would hope that Azamara aims for excellence, -also for the included wines. It may cost a thad more but it would pay in the long run.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I know that some people seem to be happy with the included Wines but in my opinion they have definitely deteriorated in recent times along with many other aspects of Azamara.

We have booked on the Azamara Persuit. I am a teetotaller, but my partner is very keen on his wine. I'd like to ask if anyone here knows if it is possible to purchase a Premium Wine Package, or Ultimate Wine Package for only one  persons in the (two persons) cabin? It would be a waste to buy a wine upgrade package for me if I will not be drinking . If we can just buy an upgrade package for my partner, that would at least keep him fairly happy!

It's been a while since we cruised with Azamara  (we have been with others line since, eg, Viking and Oceania). In those days (3-4 years ago?)  my partner was so impressed with the wines included on Azamara, and that  is one of the reasons we booked our next cruise with Azamara. However, from reading the comments here, looks like the  standard of wine offerings have changed.

May I also ask, has the standard of cooking, including in the buffet, come down as well?

Oh dear!

Edited by Gnoelj

It is possible for one person only in a room to have a beverage package. 
Our own opinion on the food, the buffet and main dining room had stayed the same or improved the speciality restaurants are not nearly as good as they used to be both in terms of food but also the ambiance they’ve squeezed in so many more tables and some guests just cannot have a meal without sharing their life stories or medical history with you. 

I agree the food in the MDR is as good as it always has been since we started sailing with Azamara over 6 years ago. We have no problems with the speciality restaurants, in fact on Pursuit in November we had the best meal we’ve ever had on Azamara in Aqualina. We don’t use the buffet, but others tell us it’s as good as ever. A dining addition is the Patio on Deck 9. In the evening it’s set up as a grill type of restaurant.

As uktog says there’s no need for both people in a cabin to buy any of the drinks packages. The Premium Beverage Package does not include wine, but the Ultimate package includes wine by the glass. Your partner might also want to consider one of the two wine packages - Wine Lovers package or Wine Connoisseur Package ( see https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/beverage-packages-0)

If s/he doesn’t drink a full bottle at a meal it can be stored for them for the next day

• Like 1

We have purchased a Wine package several times for better quality options..

I agree with UKtog that the Specialities food is not has good and they have been somewhat spoiled by cramming in the extra tables.

Edited by Bloodaxe

8 hours ago, janerlve said:
2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I agree the food in the MDR is as good as it always has been since we started sailing with Azamara over 6 years ago. We have no problems with the speciality restaurants, in fact on Pursuit in November we had the best meal we’ve ever had on Azamara in Aqualina. Agree

Agree.  Had 15-20 meals total in Prime C and Aqualina in December and January and the food quality was as good as ever.  Table placement is an issue and we just refused to sit where a table would have been right next to ours.

5 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I know that some people seem to be happy with the included Wines but in my opinion they have definitely deteriorated in recent times along with many other aspects of Azamara.

I know some people don’t want me to mention price, but when we ran all Azamara’s included wines through Vivino in 2012 the average price came out at €14.  In 2017 that was €7.  I’m hoping to find some good wines on board when we return to Azamara in 2021 because for the price per day we’re paying, we could cruise Seabourn.  We’ll probably end up upgrading to the top package though, or buying by the bottle. 

Edited by florisdekort

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

I know some people don’t want me to mention price, but when we ran all Azamara’s included wines through Vivino in 2012 the average price came out at €14.  In 2017 that was €7.  I’m hoping to find some good wines on board when we return to Azamara in 2021 because for the price per day we’re paying, we could cruise Seabourn.  We’ll probably end up upgrading to the top package though, or buying by the bottle. 

Excellent example of the the way things have changed and not for the better.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

If you don’t like the included wines and don’t want to pay for the ultimate package then I suggest you find another cruise line.   Perhaps you would like Seabourn’s included wines.   We enjoyed the wines available in the upgraded package on Azamara and had no problems with the specialty restaurants on the Journey in November.   There was no overcrowding and we were always happy with our tables.   We frequently ordered off menu and there was no problem.

7 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Just back from Africa on the Quest 24 nights - really enjoyed the wine selection, along with the on board experiences. The best wine is the one you like to drink! Of course I think I can put that down to personal preferences. The food however, we felt had stepped up another notch from the already great food (from October) to a higher level especially in the MDR - Discoveries. The best we'd ever had. We found that the quality in Aqualina had also improved this time.  Our on board experiences on the Quest were outstanding so I'd be interested to hear Bloodaxe if your thoughts are confined to Shoreside operations, or in particular one of the ships.  I'm  hearing some small differences in on board activities offered and shop opening/closing times currently from another ship which differ to what we've experienced but that's all. Personal preferences pay a big part in the cruising experiences and I feel it'd be a tough gig to keep everyone happy all the time...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I am not saying that the Azamara experience is not still very good, it is especially the crew.

I just think that at current prices it is no longer such good value.

My experience goes back to the very early days when it was excellent value.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Just now, Bloodaxe said:

I am not saying that the Azamara experience is not still very good, it is especially the crew.

I just think that at current prices it is no longer such good value.

My experience goes back to the very early days when it was excellent value.

I agree. We love Azamara and put up with the poor wine (I know it is very subjective) and poor WiFi but their pricing for 2021 and beyond for a CC suite have increased significantly. We have wanted to upgrade to a luxury line but found AZ to always provide better value until now. We just booked 2 Crystal cruises for 2021 at much less cost than AZ for a very comparable itinerary we were wanting. Yes we give up the Butler (wasted on us) and a slightly larger cabin, and Yes 250 more passengers on Crystal but almost no complaints about food or included wines or service on the Crystal board and the WiFi for 2 devices is included. We may come back in 2022 if AZ value returns, unless the Crystal experience and value exceeds our expectations?