Celebrity Xpedition runs aground in Galapagos

G.M.T.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:10 AM, SoCalTraveler said:

As one of the folks cancelled in November, as we booked our air through Celebrity, we received a full refund.  People who booked air separately received up to $400 p/p for change/cancellation fees.  And some either used the air and made separate arrangements or were already in South America.  (Our cruise was finally and officially cancelled about 6 hours before we were to board our flight.)  

Six hours?  IMO, that is unacceptable. For the inconvenience this causes, and price paid, I would expect better communication and customer service.

• Thanks 1

Let me review the chronology better.  And keep in mind our conclusion that while we are disappointed our cruise was cancelled, we appreciate that Celebrity gave us a fairly large credit to use.

First, background.  We need to plan our vacations a year in advance or more.  There are certain times of the year we simply can't go.  Thus, it's not a possibility that if the Nov. 9 cruise we were on was cancelled that we can go Nov. 16 on the Flora.   Second, we followed Celebrity's tribulations with the lobster issue (in January, I think)  and the licensing issue (over the summer), so while our vacation time was fixed and cleared, we had a year of concern that the cruise would be cancelled.  Once our payment went final, we were committed.  

The Xpedition ran aground on Nov. 5.  I learned about it that evening (via Cruise Critic, of course) at about 8:00 p.m. PST.  We called our TA, who called Celebrity, and she was told that our Nov. 9 sailing was still going forward.  Absolutely.  Positively.  (I was surprised she could find someone at that hour.)  However, our TA's report was that Celebrity knew of the grounding and that it wasn't a problem, our cruise was going forward.  

Thus, on Nov. 6 I loaded the car with the luggage and drove to work in Los Angeles.  On my way in, at 10:00 a.m. PST, I received a call from our TA's office with Celebrity on the line, reporting that the Xpedition cruise was cancelled, but that Celebrity was trying to see if it could get a smaller ship to take us.  I agreed to that.  At 3:00 p.m., I called Celebrity, and was told that the smaller ship was no longer an option, and that everything was cancelled.  Note that I had to call.  My DW was going to leave for LAX at 3:45 p.m.  (Folks who were on the roll call with us had parked their car at the Heathrow car park and were on the shuttle to the terminal when they got their cancellation call.  I think there were others who posted here that they were already in South America.)

We reserved another Celebrity cruise that night, because we were told, in no uncertain terms, in two recorded calls, that the credit that Celebrity was giving us was usable over multiple cruises.  We got the only available cabin on the new ship.  We found airline seats (coach to Miami, first class back) at the last minute.  These were the last two seats available on any airline with non-stop service to any airport in South Florida from any airport in the LA area.  They were not inexpensive.  Well, they cost more than the cruise.  (We turned down an RCC cruise that we had a slight preference for because the credit could not be used on a sister brand, and we knew that.  And we explored simply flying to Hawaii for a week.  We spent hours, and our TA spent hours, trying to find a last-minute alternative.)

Thus, on November 7, having slightly re-packed, we went to LAX to fly to Florida.  On the way, our TA called to say that Celebrity had determined that the credit (not the refund) could only be used once, and since our new cruise was relatively inexpensive, Celebrity was unilaterally taking the charge out of our refund.  Attempts to speak to Celebrity were unsuccessful as the Galapagos desk was overwhelmed with getting the folks in Ecuador home and cancelling arrangements for those of us going on the Nov. 9 cruise.  

We arrived in Miami late on Nov. 7, and stayed at MIA in a fairly unsatisfactory hotel.  How unsatisfactory?  Well, in the end they did not charge us and they gave us enough points for three future nights stay in the chain.  And we were the lucky ones.  More than 20 guests showed up with confirmed reservations to find there was no room at the hotel, and everything at MIA was booked.  The lobby was a nightmare.  (Had the hotel inquired of us, we would have gladly switched to one of their FLL locations nearer to Post Everglades.)

On Nov. 8, we took an Uber to Port Everglades.  We dropped our luggage.  At security, we were told in no uncertain terms that we were not on the list, despite having, on our phones, a confirmation.  Their conclusion?  We were at the wrong terminal despite the confirmation on our phones.  It was suggested that we leave, which we refused.  Security finally got a supervisor (it took multiple requests and our refusal to get out of the security line).  The supervisor took our passports, and 15 minutes later confirmed we were on the cruise.  Security abandoned her position, leaving us at the front of a line (the family behind us had a fellow in a wheelchair).  I was able to look over the entire list, which was both alphabetical and by cabin.  We were not on the list, and there was no addendum.  Our cabin number was not even on the list.  So much for Celebrity needing to clear us with the government.  Whether Celebrity ever told TSA that we were on the cruise is unknown to us.  Our TA was on the phone the whole time with us and Celebrity in Miami; our TA reported that Celebrity was sending person to walk us through boarding.  No one ever appeared.  (Lest someone be concerned, I received my first government security clearance in 1964.  We have Global Entry.  It's just that everyone ought to be on the list.)

At check-in, the clerk could not find us.  She refused to get a supervisor.  Just refused.  Multiple times.  Again we were told we were at the wrong terminal.  And that's after she looked at our phone confirmation that we were on the ship.  When we refused to leave, the next clerk over had heard our argument, and he proceeded to look, at he found that our reservation was attached to another reservation (and not alphabetized or searchable by name; he found it by searching the cabin number), with 4 of us in a standard balcony cabin.  He assured us that the others had cancelled.  (Which is probably why we were able to reserve that cabin at the last minute.)  

We boarded the ship and went to the buffet.  When cabins were ready, we went to our cabin, where one of our suitcases had already arrived.  Our cabin steward appeared and welcomed us, by name.  Only it was the names of the folks who had (we hoped) cancelled.  When we corrected him he wanted to know what we were doing in the wrong cabin.  We ordered him out, and he went to report to his boss, and, we assumed, security.  We called the front desk.  (The chief steward removed him from our cabin service; he reported that they receive a list of guests a week in advance, and that he had no updates for this cruise.  No updates at all.  Apparently this steward breached some protocol for guests with the wrong names.)

I went to the naughty room to get our other suitcase, where I had been busted for having a non-surge protected extension cord.  The Xpedition, as well as the new ship, have wholly inadequate electrical outlets.  This is a design defect.

We went to the front desk to deal with the confusion and the credit issue.  They could not find us listed at first.  They did, however, call the maitre'd, who, remarkably, had our names but not our table preference.  (Keep that in mind.  The maitre'd had our names.)  The front desk got in touch with Celebrity, and after three days, and apparently after listening to the recorded calls (and our TA had a recording that their agency head had listened to), Celebrity agreed we could use our credit on two cruises.  (Had Celebrity told us initially that the credit was good for only one cruise, we would never have booked this replacement cruise.)

We went to the tour desk to book tours.  After some searching, the tour lady found us, attached to the couple who had apparently cancelled.  She, however, was intent on selling us tours, and we booked three.  (All very good.)  We swam with sting rays in Grand Cayman (highly recommended) and visited the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza near Cozumel.  (Also highly recommended, but it's a long ride.)  We arrived back late to the ship after the sting ray tour, and because it was a Celebrity excursion, that was absolutely no issue.  

We are in the Captain's Club.  We never received any communication from the Captain's Club about events (such as events where there are free drinks!)  A few days in I found the Captain's Club lady.  We were not on her list.  She searched her e-mail and confirmed that she had received no e-mail that we were going to be on board.  She gets her list a week beforehand, and sometimes updates.  She had no update for us.  (Our status is known to Celebrity, and was appropriately marked on our ship cards.)

Now don't get me wrong.  First, the folks who were actually on the cruise that went aground undoubtedly have more disruption than us.  And Celebrity was overwhelmed with details given the cancellation, although I will note that the Celebrity folks I talked to reported that they were in Overland Park, Kansas, which is exactly what you think of when you think of Galapagos cruises.  Thus, shifting Miami-based people to assist may be tough.  Second, in the end, we got a cruise in the week we had off from work, and we have a credit we have used to book another Celebrity Cruise.  Celebrity, in giving the credit, recognized the impact a cancellation has on people, and we appreciate it.  However, it would not have hurt Celebrity to e-mail the new cruise and say,  "Mr. & Mrs. Socal will be aboard.  Please make sure they have a good experience."  We know Celebrity e-mailed the maitre'd.  Why no one else was notified, and why the reaction we got ranged from telling us we were in the wrong terminal or that security was going to be called is beyond me.

And a PS.  We're shareholders.  There is no shareholder credit on a Galapagos cruise.  On Nov. 7, before we left for the airport, I e-mailed the appropriate department with our cruise information (pulled up old letter in Word, and modified it) and attached a copy of a page from my brokerage statement.  On Nov. 8, when we first went to the front desk, and they finally found our account, the shareholder credit was on our account.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, travelgoddess1 said:

Six hours?  IMO, that is unacceptable. For the inconvenience this causes, and price paid, I would expect better communication and customer service.

53 minutes ago, SoCalTraveler said:

Let me review the chronology better.  And keep in mind our conclusion that while we are disappointed our cruise was cancelled, we appreciate that Celebrity gave us a fairly large credit to use.

First, background.  We need to plan our vacations a year in advance or more.  There are certain times of the year we simply can't go.  Thus, it's not a possibility that if the Nov. 9 cruise we were on was cancelled that we can go Nov. 16 on the Flora.   Second, we followed Celebrity's tribulations with the lobster issue (in January, I think)  and the licensing issue (over the summer), so while our vacation time was fixed and cleared, we had a year of concern that the cruise would be cancelled.  Once our payment went final, we were committed.  

The Xpedition ran aground on Nov. 5.  I learned about it that evening (via Cruise Critic, of course) at about 8:00 p.m. PST.  We called our TA, who called Celebrity, and she was told that our Nov. 9 sailing was still going forward.  Absolutely.  Positively.  (I was surprised she could find someone at that hour.)  However, our TA's report was that Celebrity knew of the grounding and that it wasn't a problem, our cruise was going forward.  

Thus, on Nov. 6 I loaded the car with the luggage and drove to work in Los Angeles.  On my way in, at 10:00 a.m. PST, I received a call from our TA's office with Celebrity on the line, reporting that the Xpedition cruise was cancelled, but that Celebrity was trying to see if it could get a smaller ship to take us.  I agreed to that.  At 3:00 p.m., I called Celebrity, and was told that the smaller ship was no longer an option, and that everything was cancelled.  Note that I had to call.  My DW was going to leave for LAX at 3:45 p.m.  (Folks who were on the roll call with us had parked their car at the Heathrow car park and were on the shuttle to the terminal when they got their cancellation call.  I think there were others who posted here that they were already in South America.)

We reserved another Celebrity cruise that night, because we were told, in no uncertain terms, in two recorded calls, that the credit that Celebrity was giving us was usable over multiple cruises.  We got the only available cabin on the new ship.  We found airline seats (coach to Miami, first class back) at the last minute.  These were the last two seats available on any airline with non-stop service to any airport in South Florida from any airport in the LA area.  They were not inexpensive.  Well, they cost more than the cruise.  (We turned down an RCC cruise that we had a slight preference for because the credit could not be used on a sister brand, and we knew that.  And we explored simply flying to Hawaii for a week.  We spent hours, and our TA spent hours, trying to find a last-minute alternative.)

Thus, on November 7, having slightly re-packed, we went to LAX to fly to Florida.  On the way, our TA called to say that Celebrity had determined that the credit (not the refund) could only be used once, and since our new cruise was relatively inexpensive, Celebrity was unilaterally taking the charge out of our refund.  Attempts to speak to Celebrity were unsuccessful as the Galapagos desk was overwhelmed with getting the folks in Ecuador home and cancelling arrangements for those of us going on the Nov. 9 cruise.  

We arrived in Miami late on Nov. 7, and stayed at MIA in a fairly unsatisfactory hotel.  How unsatisfactory?  Well, in the end they did not charge us and they gave us enough points for three future nights stay in the chain.  And we were the lucky ones.  More than 20 guests showed up with confirmed reservations to find there was no room at the hotel, and everything at MIA was booked.  The lobby was a nightmare.  (Had the hotel inquired of us, we would have gladly switched to one of their FLL locations nearer to Post Everglades.)

On Nov. 8, we took an Uber to Port Everglades.  We dropped our luggage.  At security, we were told in no uncertain terms that we were not on the list, despite having, on our phones, a confirmation.  Their conclusion?  We were at the wrong terminal despite the confirmation on our phones.  It was suggested that we leave, which we refused.  Security finally got a supervisor (it took multiple requests and our refusal to get out of the security line).  The supervisor took our passports, and 15 minutes later confirmed we were on the cruise.  Security abandoned her position, leaving us at the front of a line (the family behind us had a fellow in a wheelchair).  I was able to look over the entire list, which was both alphabetical and by cabin.  We were not on the list, and there was no addendum.  Our cabin number was not even on the list.  So much for Celebrity needing to clear us with the government.  Whether Celebrity ever told TSA that we were on the cruise is unknown to us.  Our TA was on the phone the whole time with us and Celebrity in Miami; our TA reported that Celebrity was sending person to walk us through boarding.  No one ever appeared.  (Lest someone be concerned, I received my first government security clearance in 1964.  We have Global Entry.  It's just that everyone ought to be on the list.)

At check-in, the clerk could not find us.  She refused to get a supervisor.  Just refused.  Multiple times.  Again we were told we were at the wrong terminal.  And that's after she looked at our phone confirmation that we were on the ship.  When we refused to leave, the next clerk over had heard our argument, and he proceeded to look, at he found that our reservation was attached to another reservation (and not alphabetized or searchable by name; he found it by searching the cabin number), with 4 of us in a standard balcony cabin.  He assured us that the others had cancelled.  (Which is probably why we were able to reserve that cabin at the last minute.)  

We boarded the ship and went to the buffet.  When cabins were ready, we went to our cabin, where one of our suitcases had already arrived.  Our cabin steward appeared and welcomed us, by name.  Only it was the names of the folks who had (we hoped) cancelled.  When we corrected him he wanted to know what we were doing in the wrong cabin.  We ordered him out, and he went to report to his boss, and, we assumed, security.  We called the front desk.  (The chief steward removed him from our cabin service; he reported that they receive a list of guests a week in advance, and that he had no updates for this cruise.  No updates at all.  Apparently this steward breached some protocol for guests with the wrong names.)

I went to the naughty room to get our other suitcase, where I had been busted for having a non-surge protected extension cord.  The Xpedition, as well as the new ship, have wholly inadequate electrical outlets.  This is a design defect.

We went to the front desk to deal with the confusion and the credit issue.  They could not find us listed at first.  They did, however, call the maitre'd, who, remarkably, had our names but not our table preference.  (Keep that in mind.  The maitre'd had our names.)  The front desk got in touch with Celebrity, and after three days, and apparently after listening to the recorded calls (and our TA had a recording that their agency head had listened to), Celebrity agreed we could use our credit on two cruises.  (Had Celebrity told us initially that the credit was good for only one cruise, we would never have booked this replacement cruise.)

We went to the tour desk to book tours.  After some searching, the tour lady found us, attached to the couple who had apparently cancelled.  She, however, was intent on selling us tours, and we booked three.  (All very good.)  We swam with sting rays in Grand Cayman (highly recommended) and visited the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza near Cozumel.  (Also highly recommended, but it's a long ride.)  We arrived back late to the ship after the sting ray tour, and because it was a Celebrity excursion, that was absolutely no issue.  

We are in the Captain's Club.  We never received any communication from the Captain's Club about events (such as events where there are free drinks!)  A few days in I found the Captain's Club lady.  We were not on her list.  She searched her e-mail and confirmed that she had received no e-mail that we were going to be on board.  She gets her list a week beforehand, and sometimes updates.  She had no update for us.  (Our status is known to Celebrity, and was appropriately marked on our ship cards.)

Now don't get me wrong.  First, the folks who were actually on the cruise that went aground undoubtedly have more disruption than us.  And Celebrity was overwhelmed with details given the cancellation, although I will note that the Celebrity folks I talked to reported that they were in Overland Park, Kansas, which is exactly what you think of when you think of Galapagos cruises.  Thus, shifting Miami-based people to assist may be tough.  Second, in the end, we got a cruise in the week we had off from work, and we have a credit we have used to book another Celebrity Cruise.  Celebrity, in giving the credit, recognized the impact a cancellation has on people, and we appreciate it.  However, it would not have hurt Celebrity to e-mail the new cruise and say,  "Mr. & Mrs. Socal will be aboard.  Please make sure they have a good experience."  We know Celebrity e-mailed the maitre'd.  Why no one else was notified, and why the reaction we got ranged from telling us we were in the wrong terminal or that security was going to be called is beyond me.

And a PS.  We're shareholders.  There is no shareholder credit on a Galapagos cruise.  On Nov. 7, before we left for the airport, I e-mailed the appropriate department with our cruise information (pulled up old letter in Word, and modified it) and attached a copy of a page from my brokerage statement.  On Nov. 8, when we first went to the front desk, and they finally found our account, the shareholder credit was on our account.  

Just to add to the discussion our travel agent called at 7:30 am on Friday to tell us our cruise had been cancelled. We left for Peru on Saturday at 5:30 am. In spite of Celebrity we are having a wonderful time in Peru.

Has anyone heard back from Celebrity on the future cruise credit? Does it have to used on one trip or can it be used for separate trips? I contacted Celebrity a week ago with this question and have not heard anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cavydad said:

Just to add to the discussion our travel agent called at 7:30 am on Friday to tell us our cruise had been cancelled. We left for Peru on Saturday at 5:30 am. In spite of Celebrity we are having a wonderful time in Peru.

Has anyone heard back from Celebrity on the future cruise credit? Does it have to used on one trip or can it be used for separate trips? I contacted Celebrity a week ago with this question and have not heard anything.

See my long post above.  Celebrity's position is that the credit has to be used on one cruise.  In our case, Celebrity made an exception because several employees gave us erroneous information which we had acted upon.  Why Celebrity's employees don't know this answer off the top is unknown to us.  (In Celebrity's defense, I had an issue with a credit with RCCL some years ago, and when it finally percolated to the top, an RCCL executive told me that RCCL's credits were "bewildering.")  

Thus, your refund plus the credit ought to pay for a cruise on the Flora.  And I think that's the real purpose of the credit, to let you still have a Galapagos vacation even though the Flora costs more.

In the alternative, if you find two cruises you want to take and want to split the credit over the two cruises, call Celebrity and ask.  The worst that will happen is that they say no. 

31 minutes ago, GWaite said:

Well, has Xpedition finally come out of dry dock? Cruise Mapper is finally showing movement. Or is it just GPS error? Let's hope. Am on 14 March cruise; but leave Australia on 16 February.  Gerry

Looks like it has moved about 1000 ft, out of the dry dock.

I'm on 7 March cruise, and leaving UK on 14 February, so I am hoping it is now heading back to the Galapagos.

SoCal Traveler, thank you for sharing your experience.  It does give me the time perspective I didn't have.  How odd that some Celebrity reps knew you were supposed to be onboard that cruise, and some did not.  Left hand, right hand. I hope you were able to enjoy yourselves, regardless of all the mixup.  Again, thanks for taking the time to explain what happened.

Edited by travelgoddess1

17 hours ago, MdeB said:

Looks like it has moved about 1000 ft, out of the dry dock.

I'm on 7 March cruise, and leaving UK on 14 February, so I am hoping it is now heading back to the Galapagos.

Yep, It looks like the Xpedition is floating again and they are probably checking for leaks.  Hopefully they'll be good to go shortly.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:34 PM, GWaite said:

Well, has Xpedition finally come out of dry dock? Cruise Mapper is finally showing movement. Or is it just GPS error? Let's hope. Am on 14 March cruise; but leave Australia on 16 February.  Gerry

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep, It looks like the Xpedition is floating again and they are probably checking for leaks.  Hopefully they'll be good to go shortly.

What site are you using for tracking? I see no movement.

16 minutes ago, sippican said:

What site are you using for tracking? I see no movement.

I was looking at MarineTraffic dot com  I've only been checking occasionally but I thought it was out in the middle of the water earlier today and now it's alongside the dock.  Earlier I thought it was in an area that looked like a dry dock.

Hmm, hopefully it leaves soon for my and others trips. Interestingly, I have done the check-in for our 14 March cruise. It still shows us in our original cabin #305. Initially it did not do luggage tags; but shortly afterwards an email from RCCL/Celebrity came with our Guest Ticket Booklet complete with luggage tag for cabin #305. I understand level 3 cabins are closed with the smaller passenger numbers; at least that is what shows now for bookings. Hopefully the boat is not overbooked. I have been reluctant so far to call Celebrity given the lack of success from others with future cruises - yes, it will sail!!?? Celebrity seem to be concerned on a cruise by cruise basis while the ship has been out of action. Here's hoping .... Gerry

We were scheduled to be on the Xpedition last week but were able to switch to the Flora for this week once our cruise was canceled. We're currently sitting in a Q&A session with the captain and someone asked about the Xpedition. The captain says that repairs are supposed to finish up this week and be back here ready to sail in early February.

I have no idea if he knows more than anyone else...but it's certainly encouraging for those that are scheduled to go soon.  Of course, he could be told to say that....so who knows. Figured I'd pass this along though.

• Like 3

So.....it's the evening of the 29th and it looks like Xpedition is still in dry dock...Anyone know anything else...?  We leave for Ecuador in 47 days and I know that's a lot of time, but I wonder how long it will take her to get back to the Galapagos.  She wouldn't be on the schedule for a particular day to go through the Panama Canal, so would she just have to wait in line?

I received an offer from Celebrity today to move from the Xpedition sailing of Feb 15 to Xploration ship with a 25% refund.  Apparently the Feb 15 sailing is overbooked by 2 cabins and they were looking for volunteers.  Someone else had already snatched up the offer to move to Flora.  After speaking with my husband, we declined to move to the much smaller ship.  Not sure what happens if it's still overbooked.

When I questioned the Team Captain about Xpedition's dry dock status, she assured me it would be doing the Feb 8th sailing date. 

Xpedition moved about a week ago to from what is the Dry Dock to the current wharf position.

And 'jec2016': that is interesting about the overbooking. I am on the March 14 cruise & still showing cabin 305 even after check-in! ; this cabin, in fact deck 3, is apparently now closed. Looks like they are slowing getting through cruises. I suspect an overbooking situation coming (from the old 100 person days when I booked) and so I need to keep a watch on my emails. But not so easy to work around our other plans; this week long cruise is part of a longer 9 week journey around parts of South America.  Gerry

13 hours ago, jec2016 said:

I received an offer from Celebrity today to move from the Xpedition sailing of Feb 15 to Xploration ship with a 25% refund.  Apparently the Feb 15 sailing is overbooked by 2 cabins and they were looking for volunteers.  Someone else had already snatched up the offer to move to Flora.  After speaking with my husband, we declined to move to the much smaller ship.  Not sure what happens if it's still overbooked.

When I questioned the Team Captain about Xpedition's dry dock status, she assured me it would be doing the Feb 8th sailing date. 

It is really, really late for them to be dealing with the overbooking for a cruise that is only two weeks away. I think they have still been running on the hope to have the extra licenses approved. I'm skeptical that the cruise on the 15th will even happen at this point. They have been assuring people right along that their cruise was going to happen - and they were wrong. 

I understand your reluctance to go with the smaller ship, but at least it would have been a sure thing.