Hong Kong Disneyland

cruise209

We will be on the Diamond Jan 2020, Southeast Asia & Japan, and with two days in Hong Kong would like to know if anyone has transportation info for going to Hong Kong Disneyland from cruise terminal.  Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Okay I have to know. What is different about the Hong Kong Disneyland that makes it different from any other Disneyland tha would lead one to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be there? . Its a serious question as we will be Hong Kong in 2021. Its just not something that has even occured to me in our planning. What am I missing?

8 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Okay I have to know. What is different about the Hong Kong Disneyland that makes it different from any other Disneyland tha would lead one to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be there? . Its a serious question as we will be Hong Kong in 2021. Its just not something that has even occured to me in our planning. What am I missing?

There are Disney Fans that just have to go to every one. Have a niece and nephew who fall in this classification. In his case, he now works for them and led efforts on the Shanghai Disney, but they had the bug long before the job. While in Shanghai, they took a quick vacation over to Tokyo for that Disney.

On our Pac Rim Cruise last Fall, there were a few cruisers whose big event for the cruise was Disney Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Edited by TheRabbit

Just now, TNTLAMB said:

You obviously are not a collector.   Every Disneyland has different merchandise, collectables, pins.   Some are used for trading others for selling.    The rides are even changed a bit from park to park.   As mentioned if you are a Disney Nut then you have to go see all the parks.  

11 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Well, each park is a bit different and has different things going on. The crowds are a different demographic so the experience is subtly different. There are different food options, different merchandise options and each park has a different layout and different rides.  We've been to Disneyland in Anaheim and Disney World in Orlando, and will be happy to tick both Hong Kong and Tokyo Disneyland off our list on this cruise (we are also sailing on this cruise, I assume the Jan 6 departure from Singapore on Diamond princess).

It's like saying - why do people sail on different ships, or why do you visit different cities in the same country.... and the reason is the same. Because they all offer different experiences 🙂

15 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Okay I have to know. What is different about the Hong Kong Disneyland that makes it different from any other Disneyland tha would lead one to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be there? . Its a serious question as we will be Hong Kong in 2021. Its just not something that has even occurred to me in our planning. What am I missing?

Hearing the shows and any announcements in Chinese.

We went a few year ago and used the train.  If you are a senior then the entry price is peanuts compared to other Disney parks in the world (around $10 Aust I think from memory)  The highlight was the Lion King show - if it is still on do not miss it, worth going there just to see that production, amazing

18 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Different?  It's smaller and has a history of struggles making money.  It's only 47% owned by Disney and maybe an afterthought after they built the one in Shanghai.  We spent a day on Kowloon, another on Hong Kong Island.  Our choice for a third day was Macau or Lantau Island (Big Buddha) and we went to Macau.  If we ever go back, we'll visit Lantau Island, but not waste time at Disneyland.  Some people just love Disney or have children with them and that's why they go.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:55 AM, hubofhockey said:

Different?  It's smaller and has a history of struggles making money.  It's only 47% owned by Disney and maybe an afterthought after they built the one in Shanghai.  We spent a day on Kowloon, another on Hong Kong Island.  Our choice for a third day was Macau or Lantau Island (Big Buddha) and we went to Macau.  If we ever go back, we'll visit Lantau Island, but not waste time at Disneyland.  Some people just love Disney or have children with them and that's why they go.

Hong Kong was built about 11 years before Shanghai and after Tokyo.    The Chinese market is different from the Japanese, but what they learned from HK they applied to Shanghai.  What they didn't realize until the pre-opening was the mainlanders are different from Hong Kongers-Overseas Chinese :classic_wacko:

Edited by Philob

If using the MTR to get to HK Disneyland you need to be on theTung Chung line (orange line).  Get off at Sunny Bay, walk across the platform and the special Disneyland train will arrive shortly to take you one stop to the Disneyland station.

Here's a couple of pics of the train ...

017.thumb.JPG.112a4e92ce14b5e6afcdcc5c68ccf4c9.JPG

082.thumb.JPG.f22d4034746cd0512ffa241cd7e2566c.JPG

On 11/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, TNTLAMB said:

I am one of those crazy Disney people who have a goal of seeing all of the castles.  I have one left. Shanghai.  Each park while similar has a few different rides or versions of that ride that make it unique.  Throw in the cultural differences and food differences, it makes it a fun experience.  HKDL is the smallest of the parks.  They are currently in an expansion mode.  I think the improvements will make it a better park than what it was when we visited in 2018.  On a positive note it is small and not near as crowded as the other parks. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 8:29 AM, TNTLAMB said:

If you like Disneyland, it is dirt cheap compared to prices in the USA.

2 hours ago, LBSKI said:

If you like Disneyland, it is dirt cheap compared to prices in the USA.

Some folks are really into Disney...a friend of mine would finish a swing shift, pack up the family, drive from San Francisco overnight and and get to Disneyland in time for opening.  On the return they'll leave Disney after the fireworks and drive back in time for his kids to goto school.  They did this about 2 times a month for 3 years, that the kids said "NO MORE!"  Kids are in college now so the parents are "tagging" each Disney park around the globe as many times as they can without them.

Regarding why HK Disney:  If you're in the region already or live there, then it makes sense to try it out, assuming you're a fan of theme parks.  I'm not sure it's worth the time and expense to visit for the sheer purpose of the park.  On my recent trip there, the vast majority of tourists were regional tourists.  Because of the recent social unrest, the crowds have stayed away.  If you are looking for a Disney experience with shorter lines, this could be an option,  if it fits your travel plans.  Although, no idea if the crowds will stay away until 2021.

Please note in Hong Kong there are good discounts for seniors 65+ for MTR, ferries, buses, The Peak Tram,  AND Disneyland!!!  $100 HKD =~ <$12 USD

You can buy tickets online at the Disneyland HK website or better yet, just bring your passport and purchase on site in case your plan changes.

1-Day Ticket: Standard Day

1 x Senior (HK$100/ticket)

Total
HK$100

On 1/4/2020 at 3:39 PM, ebslcc said:

Please note in Hong Kong there are good discounts for seniors 65+ for MTR, ferries, buses, The Peak Tram,  AND Disneyland!!!  $100 HKD =~ <$12 USD

You can buy tickets online at the Disneyland HK website or better yet, just bring your passport and purchase on site in case your plan changes.

1-Day Ticket: Standard Day

1 x Senior (HK$100/ticket)

Total
HK$100

You can't buy the senior ticket online but you can buy through an agent. http://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/media/hkdl/wholesaler-list/hkdl-faq-ticket-purchase-wholesaler-list-en-201906.pdf . I just went through this for my mother in law and we bought the tickets online with Disney but her ticket with an approved agent.  So there wasn't waiting in line.

13 hours ago, unrealHeather said:

You can't buy the senior ticket online but you can buy through an agent. http://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/media/hkdl/wholesaler-list/hkdl-faq-ticket-purchase-wholesaler-list-en-201906.pdf . I just went through this for my mother in law and we bought the tickets online with Disney but her ticket with an approved agent.  So there wasn't waiting in line.

I didn't see the senior ticket online but did see senior annual pass for US $40 so bought it.  What a bargain I thought.  Then when I got to the park I saw seniors could get in for US $12.  But we did use it for 2 days.  Still a deal.