Nov. 2019 Seaborn rated 8th place Conde Nast readers

blaze14

Why Bah humbug, our many conversations whilst Cruising on Seabourn ships Cruisers we have spoken to are savy enough to find the merits of Seabourn.  Their own research is what they believe , not ratings. Cross comparisons of Cruise style , itinieraries and value for money etc. Others have been enticed by wonderful reviews verbally spoken from family and friends on return from their holidays. Conversations about Cruising are prolific these days with folk of our generation and with colleagues. The ridiculous use of numbers in the name of ratings, these days in our lives is very disconcerting , confusing and more than a bit coloured at times. Personally we would never read or believe ratings outcomes.

It is our wonderful experiences which bring us home to Seabourn time and again.

Edited by koalapanda

Everyone has a different opinion, and who cares what Berlitz thinks? I really disliked Crystal, apart from the Nobu restaurant and dislike SS even more. I am one of those sailors that is on the younger end of the SB demographic and I have been sailing SB for 20 yrs now and whilst standards have ebbed and flowed for the last couple of years have found SB to be really improved in the last few months. Each to his own, I prefer to judge from my own experiences, not from a very easily distorted magazine award.

• Thanks 1

I subscribe to what the most prolific poster in CC history repeats on at least a weekly basis "the only opinion that counts is your own."   Nice, intelligent people are regular floaters on Silversea and Seabourn.   

Berlitz, reader's polls influence many people.....even frantic36.  Berlitz influenced me to try Hapag-Lloyd.    As previously stated, marketing departments think polls and reviews are a big deal.   Unintelligent would be to stop buying a product you are happy with because CN drops it into the gutter.

We only sail once a year now days after first sailing with Seabourn  13 years ago on the Spirit. Every year we hear the standard of food and  and service  has gone down but this  has not been or experience. Yes somethings change not always to our liking  but overall  we have found that things have not got worse , in fact I feel the food has got better and we are still very happy to book our next cruise and will be back next May.

If I like a cruise line it's number one to me. If I don't like it I don't care if Traveler and Travel and Leisure call it number one, Like wise they cab call a cruse line number one and if I don't like it who cares? I didn't put any more stock in either of them when they named Seabourn number one than I do now. These are completely unreliable polls. I look at the hotels and laugh sometimes at what they consider number one and what superb properties never even make it on the list.

• Like 3

Don't you people get bored repeatedly taking similar vacations with Seabourn?  I am always looking for something new and different.  This is why I enjoy reading travel publications and reviews.  They give me new ideas to investigate.  Although it can be difficult to separate the fact from the fake news, well written reviews can raise red flags that I will examine more carefully.  Also, if several surveys from the same time period all point to a decline, it would be foolish not to investigate the company more carefully.

The point I really want to make is that just because you really love a certain product in one location for a particular type of trip, doesn't mean that it will be your best fit in some other part of the world.  For example, I really like the Four Seasons brand for business trips in major cities and there is a Four Seasons in Mumbai that is indistinguishable from their properties in other cities.  But if someone asks for a hotel recommendation for a family vacation to Mumbai, I would suggest something else that has more local flavor. 

And even if I knew nothing at all about a particular company, I know not to trust a company's own marketing materials, because even Carnival markets itself as a "Luxury vacation".  Likewise, for those new to these boards, take everything said here with a HUGE grain of salt, because these boards tend to accumulate people that feel very passionately about the brand.  Whereas, those with negative opinions and their posts get buried deep in the archives because they don't stick around to argue with the cheerleaders.

sananda,

Where in anyone's post does it say that anyone travels exclusively with Seabourn? Or that they only cruise? Or that they don't take land trips which are not discussed on these boards? I agree that diversity is important which is why I sail with other lines and travel by land frequently. Seabourn just happens to be my favorite cruise line and I don't care if it isn't someone else's or what some silly survey says,

• Like 2

Here’s a quick update from Odyssey which I hope will calm down those with a predisposition towards anxiety and also reassure those of us who have long considered Seabourn our first choice of cruise line, Conde Nast rumours notwithstanding.

We are now on Ody on the last of 7 sea days since Funchal. Disembarkation for most is on Saturday. We are on somewhat longer and so are positioned to talk about what’s what for longer...

Today we enjoyed a Seabourn club senior sailors’ “Diamonds are forever” drinks party on the sports deck 11 at 11:11 on 11/11 after CD Robert conducted a solemn service announcement. Next was a beautiful market galley lunch starting at noon which became a bit more animated at 13:05 when the Trivia hordes, fresh with their prizes, descended upon on us good folk. In a bit less than an hour now is the boat building contest’s sailing and judging event an also the art class’ show.

I could prattle on about the exquisite, purposeful and fun activities on board, including the Howdy Doody Git to Know Yer Neybers Block Party Signature Event of last week through last night’s Club Party. Suffice it to say that it is ABSOLUTELY not true that the green bean party bake with mushroom soup and canned fried onions is dead, and that people won’t abandon their cabins/showers/makeup tables at 5:30 pm to come as they are. ‘cause they did!

Anyway, over to facts and stats... Yesterday evening before dinner was the Dancing with the Stripes party with HD Peppi, CSD Andreas and 4 other officers dancing with guests followed by the Seabourn Club représentative Colleen’s party with Capt Emilian. Fact: Of the 430 guests on board (some cabins were sold as singles), 99 passengers are new to Seabourn. The turnout and awards milestone presentations were noisy enough to represent how valued the brand is to everyone. But to substantiate the point: the combined cruise days of the other 321 passengers is 49,811. Do the mathematics if you need to but it would indicate something pretty outstanding about the loyalty thing, I would suggest!

About other matters that have cropped up here on CC... the facial tissue box in our cabin, when removed from its cover, says Kleenex Professional 2 ply from Kimberly Clark. The toilet paper roll sadly shows no branding but it seems medium soft to me although it is single ply. I hope that is useful info.

I have already conceded that I don’t much care for surveys much less others’ interpretation of them. So I hope that’s ok, too.

We will shift over to Sojourn on 10 Dec so if anyone is interested in what they’re up to, or if you want to know how Ody is doing in the meantime, please holler. In a polite way. I aim to please!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, markham said:

Here’s a quick update from Odyssey which I hope will calm down those with a predisposition towards anxiety and also reassure those of us who have long considered Seabourn our first choice of cruise line, Conde Nast rumours notwithstanding.

We are now on Ody on the last of 7 sea days since Funchal. Disembarkation for most is on Saturday. We are on somewhat longer and so are positioned to talk about what’s what for longer...

Today we enjoyed a Seabourn club senior sailors’ “Diamonds are forever” drinks party on the sports deck 11 at 11:11 on 11/11 after CD Robert conducted a solemn service announcement. Next was a beautiful market galley lunch starting at noon which became a bit more animated at 13:05 when the Trivia hordes, fresh with their prizes, descended upon on us good folk. In a bit less than an hour now is the boat building contest’s sailing and judging event an also the art class’ show.

I could prattle on about the exquisite, purposeful and fun activities on board, including the Howdy Doody Git to Know Yer Neybers Block Party Signature Event of last week through last night’s Club Party. Suffice it to say that it is ABSOLUTELY not true that the green bean party bake with mushroom soup and canned fried onions is dead, and that people won’t abandon their cabins/showers/makeup tables at 5:30 pm to come as they are. ‘cause they did!

Anyway, over to facts and stats... Yesterday evening before dinner was the Dancing with the Stripes party with HD Peppi, CSD Andreas and 4 other officers dancing with guests followed by the Seabourn Club représentative Colleen’s party with Capt Emilian. Fact: Of the 430 guests on board (some cabins were sold as singles), 99 passengers are new to Seabourn. The turnout and awards milestone presentations were noisy enough to represent how valued the brand is to everyone. But to substantiate the point: the combined cruise days of the other 321 passengers is 49,811. Do the mathematics if you need to but it would indicate something pretty outstanding about the loyalty thing, I would suggest!

About other matters that have cropped up here on CC... the facial tissue box in our cabin, when removed from its cover, says Kleenex Professional 2 ply from Kimberly Clark. The toilet paper roll sadly shows no branding but it seems medium soft to me although it is single ply. I hope that is useful info.

I have already conceded that I don’t much care for surveys much less others’ interpretation of them. So I hope that’s ok, too.

We will shift over to Sojourn on 10 Dec so if anyone is interested in what they’re up to, or if you want to know how Ody is doing in the meantime, please holler. In a polite way. I aim to please!

Thanks Markham. I am predisposed to anxiety so overall this is reassuring.

However now having read it, I'm anxious about the potential for the dreaded Howdy Doody on Sojourn!

51 minutes ago, wripro said:

sananda,

Where in anyone's post does it say that anyone travels exclusively with Seabourn? Or that they only cruise? Or that they don't take land trips which are not discussed on these boards? I agree that diversity is important which is why I sail with other lines and travel by land frequently. Seabourn just happens to be my favorite cruise line and I don't care if it isn't someone else's or what some silly survey says,

Exactly.

Now, as it happens our cruise on Sojourn will be our only longer holiday this year. We had to cancel two land trip holidays earlier this year due to illness, so instead we've taken a lot of long weekends getting to know the UK better (which was great, btw) and other trips within Europe.  

We still work and our vacation time is precious. Plus I travel a lot for work. So Seabourn for Christmas/NY was a no-brainer again this year, which has been a tough one. Next year we have several trips planned - none of those trips involve a cruise ship although I expect we'll take a cruise at some point during the year. 

It will be almost a year since our last Seabourn cruise. As ever we will be looking to having a wonderful holiday, at the same time we do have high expectations and will be assessing whether or not those expectations are met.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markham said:

Markham. Thanks for the update.  Would you be able to share the names of the senior officers and chef please and whether you are aware of any changes before 10 December?  Many thanks 

Seabourn has just won first place among readers of The Daily Telegraph in Best Small Ship Cruise Line category.  Runners up are Noble-Caledonia and Silversea.

NB: Seabourn, NC and Silversea advertise heavily in The Daily Telegraph. 

These awards are meaningless. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Seabourn has just won first place among readers of The Daily Telegraph in Best Small Ship Cruise Line category.  Runners up are Noble-Caledonia and Silversea.

i

Sorry about my previous meaningless blurb. I hit the wrong button. Here's what I was trying to say:

I recently completed my first Seabourn cruise. Like many posters on Cruise Critic, I have been cruising for many years (since 1970) and have sailed most of the mass market lines. Obviously, cruising has changed greatly, and the two of us were disenchanted with our last few cruises. So it was time to try something new. We have always enjoyed small ships, and, for me, it's not seeking a "luxury" experience as much as a more "civilized" experience, which means no lines, no noise, no loud music, no racket in the halls, respectful fellow passengers, etc. With that in mind, we booked a Silversea cruise to Alaska in June and a Seabourn cruise to the Caribbean in November.

The cruises were both enjoyable and different, but that close together, there was no way I couldn't compare them, even though I know that I am comparing one specific cruise against another and one cruise may not be representative of the line. For me, the food was comparable on both lines. Our service on Silversea was far superior to Seabourn both in the dining room and our suite. Please bear with me when I say that our Seabourn suite attendant was the worst we have had in many years on all the lines we've sailed. She was a sweet woman, and I feel she did her best, but try as we may, we couldn't seem to get our suite serviced before 2:00 pm. or to obtain clean glasses and our soda of choice replaced. Not what we expected. 

That said, I absolutely loved my Seabourn cruise. The entertainment blew me away. For a small ship, the talent of the onboard entertainers was quite impressive and unexpected, whereas the cast show on Silversea reminded me of a high school musical. At times the ship felt dead. On Seabourn there was always something going on, and the staff and crew went to great lengths to make the social activities special. We were on a 12-day cruise, and we had six or seven invitations to a hosted table with both entertainers and officers. We accepted three and enjoyed them tremendously. It gave us a chance to meet some of our fellow passengers, and we enjoyed the easy socialization. There was life on this ship, and I had fun. It's been a long time since I've said that about a cruise.

So here's the thing about surveys. People fill out a check list. On paper, rating item by item, our Silversea cruise might have come out ahead. But in the intangibles, and the things that mattered most to me, Seabourn was ahead. I'd gladly sail Silversea again if the right opportunity arose BUT I'll definitely make it a point to find another Seabourn cruise. 

16 hours ago, Fletcher said:

+1. Most of these magazines hold their surveys for the sole purpose of soliciting and attracting advertising dollars.  Some magazines do it more shamelessly and blatantly than others; you will see full page advertising by the winning business in close proximity to the result page in which they've been listed as the 'winner.'

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1