Gluten free on Sky Princess?

barb in ga

We're booked on Sky for January and are really looking forward to being on this beautiful new ship. Most of our cruises have been on RCI and Celebrity who do a good job with providing gluten free options.

This is our first Princess cruise, so wondering if other cruisers can share their experiences. DH has Celiac disease, so this is important.

Comments appreciated for MDR, buffet, pizza and specialty venues.

Thanks, 

Barb in GA

You can notify Princess of the requirement and the MDR will be able to address your needs. We traveled with a friend with dairy intolerance and every night the waiter in the MDR would bring “tomorrow’s” menu to order off of. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed any gluten free options on a ship, but I’m not looking for it either. 

I think for the buffet, you may want to speak to a head waiter there to see what is available. Not sure about pizza.

Princess does a good job of helping

• Like 1

Put in dietary requirements through your booking online in the personalizer. 
You will receive acknowledgment from Princess that they have it notated.

Once onboard see the Head Waiter in the venue you are at and let them know your requirements. 
They deal with these issues all the time.

• Like 1

DW has celiac as well. Alfredo's has a GF pizza crust. IIRC, the regular pizza kitchen on the open deck has a GF option but you must request it to be baked and wait for it.

In the buffet, they have a chef assigned to help passengers with dietary restrictions. DW would look him up and he would walk through the buffet with her to let her know what was OK and what was not.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 11:14 AM, barb in ga said:

Thanks, 

Barb in GA

Barb;

Same process as Royal in respect to the Main Dining room.  Tell the Head waiter, and they will bring you the next day's menu for you to choose from.   My wife is celiac, and they have done a very good job so far (no major episodes.. yet).   

As most of the buffet servers will have limited English, try to stay away from saying "Gluten Free" and "Celiac" but tell them you have a food allergy, and they will get a chef to speak to you and show you what you can and cannot eat.

Buffet usually has a small GF area with breads and deserts.   You can get one of the buffet Chef's to make you something that is GF as well.   Breakfast in either the MDR or in the Horizon Court was usually OK.  Pizza is available, but it takes time for them to make it for you (to avoid cross contamination)

International Cafe will always have a GF item for your for a snack.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:14 AM, barb in ga said:

We're booked on Sky for January and are really looking forward to being on this beautiful new ship. Most of our cruises have been on RCI and Celebrity who do a good job with providing gluten free options.

This is our first Princess cruise, so wondering if other cruisers can share their experiences. DH has Celiac disease, so this is important.

Thanks, 

Barb in GA

My experience, with a member of our party needing a diet restriction, is a person from the food staff will be assigned to the your husband and go through the following night's dinners and pre order what ever is needed, This was in fixed dining, so you might want to consider doing fixed so the person can track you. We even went to a specialty dining one night and the person showed up there for the next night's meal.

Needles to say, we were impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have celiac disease and only sail on Princess. When you get onboard you will have a letter acknowledging your gluten free requirements. Then go to see the Head Waiter. Every evening he will bring you the menu’s for the following day. Study it well. When he gets back to you he will ask for your orders. Believe me, there is hardly anything they can’t make gluten free. The pastry chef even prepares a wonderful desert. Any questions just ask. This is our 14th Princess Cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

Once onboard see the Head Waiter in the venue you are at and let them know your requirements. 

Whenever we had someone with a diet restriction in our party, each time a member of the staff met the person each night with the next night's menu and did a pre-order of a meal meeting their needs. The staff member even came into a specialty restaraunt one night to get the next night's order.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:11 PM, Ms. Happy Cruiser said:

I have celiac disease and only sail on Princess. When you get onboard you will have a letter acknowledging your gluten free requirements. Then go to see the Head Waiter. Every evening he will bring you the menu’s for the following day. Study it well. When he gets back to you he will ask for your orders. Believe me, there is hardly anything they can’t make gluten free. The pastry chef even prepares a wonderful desert. Any questions just ask. This is our 14th Princess Cruise.

Exactly! They have been preparing Gluten free dishes for us to with such an ease, and they were undoubtedly delicious!

On 11/14/2019 at 12:15 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

cant stress this enough and they do read these and take these seriously. Just filled this out for our January Regal cruise. DW has a dairy, egg and gluten allergy. Within 72 hours of submission someone reached out directly to DW to ask if she would prefer Rice or Soy milk (they do not offer almond milk FYI). I think this is fantastic customer service. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:26 PM, Steelers0854 said:

cant stress this enough and they do read these and take these seriously. Just filled this out for our January Regal cruise. DW has a dairy, egg and gluten allergy. Within 72 hours of submission someone reached out directly to DW to ask if she would prefer Rice or Soy milk (they do not offer almond milk FYI). I think this is fantastic customer service. 

This has worked well for me (celiac). When we did anytime dining, I made sure to get the head waiter's name who took my order for the next day.  If we went to a different dining room, it was easy for them to locate the information.  I often ordered breakfast items on the hangtag in the cabin or with the app and specified gluten free toast, which they brought.