RCL - Anthem of the Seas - France & Spain (Aug 30, 2020)

Need help please.  Looking into another cruise for August 30, 2020 on Anthem of the Seas out of South Hampton England.  Trying to pull travel plans together.  My first question.  Do most people fly into LHR airport?  If so, what's the best means to shuttle from LHR airport over to SH?  Any suggestions for hotels in South Hampton?  I've been looking at hotel reviews for Holiday Inn and Grand Harbour.  Either one of these better than the other as for as location near main attractions (i.e., shopping, restaurants within walking distance)?  Is it better to book hotels on my own or through the cruise ship?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

15 minutes ago, lov2cruise2019 said:

Need help please.  Looking into another cruise for August 30, 2020 on Anthem of the Seas out of South Hampton England.  Trying to pull travel plans together.  My first question.  Do most people fly into LHR airport?  If so, what's the best means to shuttle from LHR airport over to SH?  Any suggestions for hotels in South Hampton?  I've been looking at hotel reviews for Holiday Inn and Grand Harbour.  Either one of these better than the other as for as location near main attractions (i.e., shopping, restaurants within walking distance)?  Is it better to book hotels on my own or through the cruise ship?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

You may also want to take a look at the port of call forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/88-britain/

Lots of hotels in Southampton near the port, all of them are also within walking distance of West Quay with numerous shops and restaurants. Holiday Inn is literally at dock gate 8 just a short walk from the ship. Grand Harbour is just across the street. We usually go for Holiday Inn as they do a park and stay although that won't matter to you. It's a standard Holiday Inn and we've always been happy with it. Hotels are usually cheaper to book independently rather than through the cruise line.

From Heathrow you can use National Express bus or a private transfer, lots of recommendations on the UK board.

We stayed at the Premier Inn across the street from shopping mall.  Basic British hotel.  Not much storage space but clean and pleasant.  Ate there and nice.  Central location to walk to train and ferries.  Stayed there after a crossing on the QM2.

The Grand Harbour is now managed by a new hotel chain called Leonardo. I have never heard of this chain so not sure of their standards and service. I’d only concentrate on very recent reviews.   Location wise it is excellent. You can walk to the ship as it is only the other side of the roundabout to the HI Herbert Walker Ave.

Both are very close to the huge West Quay shopping centre which many shops and restaurants etc

If you can fly into LGW it is on a direct train line to Southampton.  

Edited by little britain

We flew into LHR this summer, for a cruise from Southampton.   We used National Express for our transfer from the airport to Southampton.   The bus system was probably the least expensive way to get from the airport to Southampton.  We purchased our tickets before we left home, and the earlier you book, the less they will be.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, mainly because it was right outside the port, and it was within walking distance to many of the things we wanted to see in Southampton.  Some of the other hotels may be a little newer, but we had no complaints about the Holiday Inn.

We walked from the bus station to the hotel, but you could easily get a taxi if you needed.  I think that walk was about a half a mile.   

Make sure you leave time to get through customs and collect your bags at the airport, if you schedule a time for the bus transportation.

I think I included a little about our experience getting there, and it is in a live report I did.  A link to that is in my signature.

By the way, we booked all our hotels and transportation independently.   If you can afford the time, spend a few days before and after the cruise to explore Southampton and London.

Edited by h20skibum

Thanks all for your suggestions.  I really appreciate it!  I will explore the UK board in great detail for tips also.  Good point about booking the express bus before leaving home to get a better rate.  I like that idea as well as booking independently for a hotel. Now that I have some great suggestions, I feel more comfortable doing so.  Thanks again!

We stay at the Leonardo hotel ( formerly the Grand Harbour hotel ) and have always been extremely happy with it.

It has a very good restaurant and also has numerous other restaurants and public houses plus the West Quay shopping centre all within a few minutes walk.

Its opposite the RCCL cruise terminal about a two or three minute taxi ride or you can walk across the road with your luggage only a few minutes walk to the terminal and is really very easy.

2 hours ago, lov2cruise2019 said:

Good point about booking the express bus before leaving home to get a better rate.  I like that idea as well as booking independently for a hotel.

Before you book any of the hotels, Express bus, or other things, set up a travel notice for your credit card.

I don’t know if it was unique to the card we were using, but it kept getting flagged for a fraud alert when we tried booking things in the UK from the States.  It never crossed my mind to do that, because we were not traveling at the time, but just booking things several months in advance.

It may save you some problems, if you set up the notice.

• Like 1