MDR attire on Celebrity Reflection

cruising teacher80

We sailed on the Solstice in Alaska last June and found the dress in the main dining room very casual-even on evening chic nights which we found very disappointing.  Much more casual than on our Equinox cruises to the Caribbean.  This summer we will be going on Reflection from Ireland to Iceland and was wondering what most people wear for the evening chic nights (and regular nights)  in the main dining room especially for Europe (which we have never cruised before).  

We have been on Reflection 2 times, once in the Caribbean and once in the Mediterranean. I think people do tend to dress up a bit more in Europe. We will be on Reflection once again for a 10 Night, Ireland, England and Scotland cruise in May 2020 and I expect most people will dress nicely for dinner. I think it is fun to dress up a bit since I never do at home!  I'm excited about our new adventures coming up "soon"!

My opinion, of course 🙂

Edited by wishuponasea
added content
  • Like 2

I think that you will find a European sailing to be more dressy than an Alaska cruise.   Alaska cruises have a tenancy to be very port intensive with outdoorsy type excursions.

Was recently on Edge for both a European Cruise and a TA.    On the European cruise about 40-50% of men dressed with at least a coat and collared shirts with and without tie.    Tux were very limited.     On the TA it appeared more dressy and when I walked by the main dining rooms most men had on at least a Jacket.   Women are always glamorous. 

We generally wear White dinner jackets with Bow Tie and receive numerous compliments.   Dress as you feel comfortable within the guidelines and I am sure you will enjoy your Chic evenings.

• Like 3

Hi there, 

We did the Reflection, Iceland, Ireland, Scotland in May....  it was surprisingly the most casually dressed group of cruisers I've ever experienced.  (we were in Luminae, but obviously you see people walking around the ship)  

We've done about 10 cruises on Celebrity in the last 10 years all but one in Europe  ( I know, lots of people are on X  way, way more than us)   but I was really surprised at how casual people were.   this may have been due to the fact that most of the ports in May were pretty cold,  we did Scotland & Ireland pre cruise, & experienced snow & sleet...  so most people were packed & dressed for expedition type ports...  gore tex boots, down vests, & waterproof hats were deriguour...  (Except in Cobh (Cork)  where quite a few people had to buy shorts & tees for the day in port)

That said, on the "chic" nights we did see a few blazers.      

It was completely different from any European cruise I've ever been on,  including TA's on Celebrity 

One of the best Itineraries I've ever been on :)  so enjoy, & if you like dressing to the nines, please do so!  

Hope your cruise was as great as ours.  

We did Ireland and Iceland on Sihouette this summer.  We did dress up - always do.  But there were a fair proportion who didn't.  But contrast the same ship to the Azores in October (although we didn't actually get there!) was very dressy - to the extent of the correct use of white tie / long dress; tails and kilts (not on the same person.)  Really nice to see actually. 

I’m recently back from a Reflection cruise - albeit out of Lisbon. I didn’t see a single DJ but people were dressed more smartly on Evening Chic nights. In our area of the dining room men wore jackets and ties. Ladies wore dresses or trousers with nice tops. I didn’t notice any designer jeans any night! It was all very relaxed and enjoyable. 

Have sailed Alaska many times, as well as one European cruise, many Caribbean, and several west coast US and Mexico, all on Celebrity.  IMHO the Alaska cruises tend to be by far the most casual.  Beyond that, it seemed to me that the Europe cruise (Silhouette out of Southampton to Norway) and several longer Caribbean cruises with many Europeans onboard tended to have more people dressed up than other cruises we have sailed.  That said, on all cruises I've seen many people who follow the dress code to the minimum (and sometimes not even that) so I suggest doing what you are comfortable doing.