Are we allowed to end the trip early?

tyrannosaur

I know I should ask Holland America as well, but it's already closed.  Are we allowed to leave the ship in the middle of the trip (instead of ending at the last port)?  I am considering a European cruise next year which ends in Copenhagen, but I'd like to disembark in Amsterdam (which is the port before Copenhagen) instead of Copenhagen because I was just in Copenhagen a few months ago but never been to Amsterdam.  Anyone has experience doing this?  Thanks in advance!

Just now, tyrannosaur said:

I know I should ask Holland America as well, but it's already closed.  Are we allowed to leave the ship in the middle of the trip (instead of ending at the last port)?  I am considering a European cruise next year which ends in Copenhagen, but I'd like to disembark in Amsterdam (which is the port before Copenhagen) instead of Copenhagen because I was just in Copenhagen a few months ago but never been to Amsterdam.  Anyone has experience doing this?  Thanks in advance!

You must call the cruise line and arrange it (if they will allow it).  Now, before the cruise. You won't get a pro-rated cruise fare, also.  You still pay for the whole cruise.

45 minutes ago, tyrannosaur said:

I know of two instances on my cruise on the Noordam this month. One couple had to leave early due to the husband's health. He has Alzheimer's. One couple got prior permission to leave at a different port to visit their son. They are frequent cruisers, probably in the 1000+ days-on-board group. 

We did this in Asia when DW wanted to disembark in Keelung to stay with family and rejoin the ship a few days later in Hong Kong.  We notified the front desk of our plans before we arrived in Keelung.  The ship arranged for a customs and immigrations person from Taiwan to meet her with her suitcase before she disembarked.  Worked out fine.  She flew to Hong Kong, I met her at the airport and we went back to the ship together.  She had to get a new key card when reboarding.  I noticed that they didn't charge her for ship gratuities while she was off the ship, but all other charges were the same.

For the most part this is up to the countries involved, not HAL and has nothing to do with your mariner record.  I've made the request twice with HAL.  The first time I was on the Prinsendam in 2011, boarding as a 1-star mariner.  I wanted to return home on QM2 rather than flying, and to do that I needed to get off 2 days early in Edinburgh rather than continuing to Amsterdam.  Permission was granted, although you really need to get this in writing and carry it with you as the ship did not know about my plans.  Worked out very well.

The second request was for the Zuiderdam next September.  Enroute from Quebec to Boston we make 3 stops in Newfoundland and I wanted to get off at Corner Brook, spend a couple of nights in Gander, and reboard in St. Johns.  Request denied, it would violate Canada's equivalent of the PVSA.  Did not make a bit of difference to the Canadian authorities that I am now almost 5 stars.

Roy

We disembarked in Cozumel one year. I called and was told to make arrangements through Guest Services when we boarded. They made arrangements for us and had customs/immigration on board. We did have to haul our luggage ourselves and find our own transportation. Not a big deal but something to be aware of. 

Make your request in writing to Holland America and be sure to have their written permission in hand when you board the ship.  Notify guest services when you board (keep a copy of the paperwork) and remind them a couple of days before you disembark.  

24 minutes ago, wyobean said:

When we called they would not do anything. Said it all had to be done onboard through guest services.

Still a good idea to call beforehand and get told that, than to just show up at guest services once the cruise underway and tell them just to find out it needed to arranged in advance. 

Different ports have different requirements for debarking passengers, so not really a set answer.  Best answer - call the cruise line and find out for sure what to do.

I've done this several times. Had to get written permission prior to the cruise from the cruise line. Then show your written permission to guest services, they will instruct you on what other steps might be required.

We frequently disembark in Victoria as it is usually the last port before Seattle or Vancouver. We live in Victoria and our request before our embarkation has yet to be denied. The only issue we had was when our ship could not dock in Victoria so we had to sail to Seattle and had to make alternate arrangements to get home,

We just left the Zaandam yesterday in Santos Brazil, a day before the official cruise end in Rio de Janeiro. We had requested approval before boarding, we received  an official approval letter and the ship staff were great, expediting our passports through the Brazilian official stamping process that morning, Santos was the first port of call in Brazil.

Despite the approval letter stating that we would have to handle our own luggage, which we fully understood, as soon as we reached the gangway  two of the crew that were on duty there immediately jumped to help us get the bags down to the dock where two of the port officials took over and helped us take our luggage  (all 5 bags,it was a 44 day cruise from Montreal) through screening and to the pick up point for our pre-arranged transfer to Sao Paulo. all refused any proffered tip!

The bottle of Pisco I had purchased in Peru and had surrendered to storage for the balance of the cruise was returned the night before debarking and our final (ouch) invoice appeared the morning of our debarking. 

On 11/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, Sir PMP said:

Yes, just let the front desk know that you're disembarked a port earlier.

This is bad advice as whether, or not, you will be permitted to disembark early depends on the actual port.  Some ports will not normally allow disembarkation and there are actually some situations where an early disembarkation can be contrary to law and result in fines (this can happen at USA ports).

Each cruise line has their own procedure (we have done it with multiple lines) but it always involves a written request (generally on a form) which should be completed (and approved) prior to the ship.  Within the EU an early disembarkation might be approved onboard (a request should be made well in advance)...but then again it might be denied.  At least one mass market cruise line now charges an extra "administrative fee" for early disembarkations.

Hank

Guess things have changed in 2 years. I am only telling you my experience. Also, maybe because it was Mexico. When I called I was told to make arrangements with GS.  I did not submit nor receive anything in writing from that phone call. I am not saying you shouldn’t call, just that it didn’t do anything for us. 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

This is bad advice as whether, or not, you will be permitted to disembark early depends on the actual port.  Some ports will not normally allow disembarkation and there are actually some situations where an early disembarkation can be contrary to law and result in fines (this can happen at USA ports).

Each cruise line has their own procedure (we have done it with multiple lines) but it always involves a written request (generally on a form) which should be completed (and approved) prior to the ship.  Within the EU an early disembarkation might be approved onboard (a request should be made well in advance)...but then again it might be denied.  At least one mass market cruise line now charges an extra "administrative fee" for early disembarkations.

Hank

There's no difference between Copenhagen or Amsterdam..