Considering Celebrity Edge

ginrom

After only cruising RCCL for the past 10 cruises we're considering trying the new Celebrity Edge ship. We cruise on the larger ships to keep my husband entertained. We're total opposites where I can sit and relax for hours reading a book and people watching while he is usually going on the rock wall, ice skating or using the flow rider. He claims he doesn't need that stuff anymore because he's finally feeling the aches and pains of injuring himself playing sports and doesn't want to risk getting hurt on vacation. I'm thinking if he doesn't participate then he'd still enjoy watching.

I'm interested in hearing opinions of others who have cruised on both the Oasis class and the new Edge Class on Celebrity. We're also considering splurging on a sky suite which is a big upgrade for us since we usually only book junior suites and balcony cabins. 

If my 56 yo husband who I've diagnosed with ADD/ADHD can find things to keep him busy while I relax then I'm all about trying out a new ship! Happy Wife Happy Cruise, right? 🙂

Please help me make a decision because I'm torn and ready to go back to what we know and book the Allure. 

Thanks!

We have done Oasis class 9 times and did the Edge last April. We loved it, although it took a couple days to get used to the differences. Not as many physical activities on Edge, but the ship is very sharp, really nice pool deck, liked the 4 MDR setup. 

We had an Infinite Verandah but I have heard good things about the Suite experience with the Retreat and Michael’s Lounge. We are looking at Edge again, or Apex, if it’s just the two of us. We are just a couple years ahead of you 😜

if you get a Sky Suite, I suggest an S1 or S2. The S3s are “inside” the path of the Magic Carpet and can have some obstructed views.

Can’t make a bad decision !

mac_tlc

• Like 1

The Edge is physically a lot smaller than the Oasis Class (somewhere between Voyager Class and Freedom Class in size).   There are none of the activities such as rock walls, flow rider, ice skating, and the like.    You will find it more serene, one announcement a day (10am), no belly flop, sexiest man, or other contests, no quest.   You will find the usual karaoke, silent disco, etc.  Better food (IMHO), great coffee/snack shop (Cafe alBacio).

Steve

I would definitely recommend you to go over the Celebrity board and read the threads there.  When I am looking at a cruise line that I haven't been on before, I go to that particular cruise line board and just read, to get a feel of the cruise line and perhaps the particular ship.  Once I get more serious, I start asking particular questions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevea36 said:

There are none of the activities such as rock walls, flow rider, ice skating, and the like.    You will find it more serene, one announcement a day (10am), no belly flop, sexiest man, or other contests, no quest.   You will find the usual karaoke, silent disco, etc.  Better food (IMHO), great coffee/snack shop (Cafe alBacio).

We've sailed on the Oasis class as well as the Edge. They're different, but we loved both. If I had to choose, I'd say her closest relative in the Royal fleet is a Radiance class ship - lots of beautiful, elegant decor. Cafe al Bacio is a gem, and you'll love Luminae and the Retreat Lounge. I say go for it. 

• Like 1

Just back off Allure earlier this month on a B2B. It wasn't a patch on the Edge. 

We had an IV balcony on the Edge and loved it. The four MDR restaurants are great idea and the Magic carpet was fun to visit for sail aways.

I'd say Allure was three stars plus, but the Edge is definitely five stars.

If you want flow riding, ice skating, zip lining and enjoy eating burgers and pizza then stick with the Oasis ships.

• Like 1

We do both!  Last January, did one week on the Edge and another on the Harmony.  Not the typical back to back-  We loved both for different reasons.  The Edge is new- and a fun experience- many dining options and the ship is beautiful.  If you can swing it, try a sky suite- s2 and above.  The new suite deck is wonderful.  The lounge is great as is the restaurant.  Just do not recommend an infinite veranda stateroom as it is truly a cabin with a window that opens.  If you want a balcony cabin, try an aft cabin with a true balcony.

The Harmony is also great- so many options and the entertainment off the charts.  Service and food also great as is the cabin.  If you cannot do a grand suite or above- a great cost effective option is a Central park view stateroom-but you view Central park not the ocean- It is quiet and calming.  Of course the suite deck and services also great.

On both ships, you can find quiet spaces or lots of activity.  This year we are doing one week on the Harmony in January and one week on the Edge in March.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1