Questions about 5 in a room or 2 rooms? Please help

LongHill44

My wife and I are looking to take my two teenage kids on a cruise as this will be their 3rd time however, my brother would like to join us.  He is single with no children.  

Do you feel it would be cheaper per person to try and rent a suite for the 5 of us or go with two rooms with 2 and 3 in each?

And if we go with two rooms, would it be cheaper for him if one of my kids, 17 and 14, room with him on paper, saving him money?   Is that how that works?

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of items here. For the standard rooms, are you thinking inside or balcony. If you go with one suite, you will want to ensure it has two bathrooms as that will be your limiting factor which boosts the cost further. 

if you go with two rooms, send a kid with your brother as you have to pay for two people per room no matter what.  As you seem to infer, you can have the kid stay with you.

generally, the two rooms will almost always be cheaper given the 2 bathroom requirement. 

Yes, if you pay for 1 child in brother's room, he will only pay the "per person" rate.    Otherwise, he'll pay for 2 people even if he's only 1 in the cabin.

If your cabin can sleep 4, the child can sleep wherever you want them to....

15 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

That might depend on how...social...your brother is 😁

True, but if the brother is just paying 1 fare and keeping the cabin for himself, while the OP is paying for 4 and squeezing all 4 into a cabin, it doesn’t seem equal.

As a note after May 1 of 2021 you will no longer be able to get connecting cabins that can hold 5.  All connecting cabins will have both cabins as double occupancy.  Also depending on the ship if you book 3 in a room it will only have beds for 3 so to book 1 in your brothers room works on paper there may not be room in your room for them to sleep.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As a note after May 1 of 2021 you will no longer be able to get connecting cabins that can hold 5.  All connecting cabins will have both cabins as double occupancy.  Also depending on the ship if you book 3 in a room it will only have beds for 3 so to book 1 in your brothers room works on paper there may not be room in your room for them to sleep.

When was this announced?

21 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal really doesn't announce these kind of things to the public.  Travel agents received notification within the past month.  Easy to confirm by looking at the new deck plans on ships after May 2021

I don’t get it.  So some inside connecting rooms on Freedom and Voyager class ships have built in Pullman beds in the cabin for 4.  They can’t remove them.  You’re saying they just won’t allow 4 in a cabin even though there are 4 beds?

Dan

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal really doesn't announce these kind of things to the public.  Travel agents received notification within the past month.  Easy to confirm by looking at the new deck plans on ships after May 2021

Seems strange. I’d imagine lots of people don’t use TAs so how are they going to know this? ( that’s a rhetorical question since I know you’re just the messenger). 

11 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I don’t get it.  So some inside connecting rooms on Freedom and Voyager class ships have built in Pullman beds in the cabin for 4.  They can’t remove them.  You’re saying they just won’t allow 4 in a cabin even though there are 4 beds?

Dan

That is the information that I received.  They juggled capacity.

We were looking for two rooms for our family, but had to get an extra large room (at a higher cost) because non-suite cabins for 3-4 people usually sold out very quickly. Check availability to see if you truly have an option here.

Edited by jennyumaa

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

True, but if the brother is just paying 1 fare and keeping the cabin for himself, while the OP is paying for 4 and squeezing all 4 into a cabin, it doesn’t seem equal.

I was speaking to the connecting rooms, not how people should be assigned to them. 

As some said, if you book 3 on paper in one room, in may not let you choose a cabin that actually sleeps 4 so the one booked on paper with your brother may actually end up needing to sleep in that cabin.  As for suites, depending on the suite category, sometimes it's just a bedroom that sleeps 2 and a pullout couch that sleeps 2 in the living area.  Not sure how a a 5th person would be accommodated?  Like a grand suite for instance...does it have a pullman bed as well? 

On 11/18/2019 at 2:16 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry, just wanted to clarify this as Royal certainly did not make it clear in the information they sent out. 

In looking at the deck plans there are still quads and doubles that connect and are not identified any differently.

Whar they have done is identified some connecting cabins and those that are now their own separate category are all doubles.