HAL Unlimited Coca Cola Package Questions - Westerdam

plettza

We're booked for a sailing onboard Westerdam next year.  I've been looking at the various drinks packages available under my  account on the HAL site.  I've been trying to cut back on alcohol so I probably won't go for the Signature Package.  Also, I don't really drink energy drinks or speciality cofees so the Quench package isn't what I'll go for.

I'm thinking I would get the Unlimited Coca Cola Package.

Other than one P&O Cruise, I've only sailed Carnival and I always get the Bottomless Bubbles package.

Upon reading HAL's website, it states, "Guests will be issued one specialty cup to be used in connection with this promotion. The cup is not replaceable.".  So does this mean I need to be carrying the cup with me wherever I go if I want a soda?  How does it work exactly?  Onboard Carnival Legend or Spirit, I simply flash my Sail and Sign card which has the little sticker on it and they pour me a Diet Coke or whatever.  It's just a standard glass.

Also, if I buy a Scotch and Diet Coke, do they subtract the soft drink component on the drink as Carnival does?

This will be my first time aboard HAL.

I was under the impression that all the drink packages tied to a passenger's key card.  It would be most inconvenient to lug a cup or plastic tumbler around all day.  May I suggest that you call ships' services (866-616-4278 main switchboard which can connect you to ships' services) and ask.  

I've never heard of HAL discounting the soda in a mixed drink if the passenger has a soda or Quench package.  Perhaps someone else has a different experience.

3 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Don't they still have the soda value card?  Buy a $50 value card for $25.  We used up three of them on our 38 day cruise to Australia.

On their site, HAL do offer the soda cards at $50 value.  I thought about these but was curious about the soda component being deducted from a spirit drink.

On Carnival, at least Spirit, and Legend when it was in Australia, a Scotch and Coke was about $11 or so.  Upon using my Bottomless Bubbles, the $1.25 or so mixer comes off (so about $9.75).  For me, Bottomless Bubbles was certainly worth it.

15 hours ago, plettza said:

Upon reading HAL's website, it states, "Guests will be issued one specialty cup to be used in connection with this promotion. The cup is not replaceable.".  So does this mean I need to be carrying the cup with me wherever I go if I want a soda?  How does it work exactly?  Onboard Carnival Legend or Spirit, I simply flash my Sail and Sign card which has the little sticker on it and they pour me a Diet Coke or whatever.  It's just a standard glass.

Also, if I buy a Scotch and Diet Coke, do they subtract the soft drink component on the drink as Carnival does?

This will be my first time aboard HAL.

My experience is that you also get a sticker on your card (a little Coke icon).  Using either the cup or the card would get you a drink at any bar or dining room.

15 hours ago, plettza said:

Sorry, I can't answer this.

Mark

Also, does HAL use actual soda fountains, i.e. post-mix dispensers at their bars?

Aside from Blue Iguana tequila bar on Carnival Spirit, they brings up loads of soft drinks can and just decant them into glasses.

I'm not sure about fountain drinks, but on our last HAL cruise we were given unopened cans of soda that we could use at a later time. We had pre-purchased a bottle of spirits (rye whiskey) that we mixed with coke to consume in our stateroom.

Unless something has changed may want to check the fine print as there are Coke freestyle machines on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam and the cups are issued to use with the machines. Then yes a sticker is also put on your ship ID card so that people can get a drink at a bar or somewhere else without having the cup. Thing is, there is more to pick from to make using the freestyle machine (my favorite is grape sprite) but have to have the cup to use it because of the chip that is in it to activate it to use. I have purchased a cup on both ships when we have been on them. When the Koningsdam entered service the cup for the machine was $7 per day. If only one person in the cabin wanted one this could be done. Since then looks like the cost has gone up to $9 per day and now looks like if one person in the cabin wants it so does at least the 2nd person. $9 a day for unlimited soda is a lot to spend as that's a lot of soda. Because of this looks like when we sail next month it will be no more cup for the coke freestyle machine on Nieuw Statendam for me. As it is I already have 4 of them here at home. Info leading me to mention the change regarding the cups also comes from what I have seen on the HAL website so obviously this is a change since we last cruised as I was able to get one for myself but mom didn't have to.

6 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I'm not sure about fountain drinks, but on our last HAL cruise we were given unopened cans of soda that we could use at a later time. We had pre-purchased a bottle of spirits (rye whiskey) that we mixed with coke to consume in our stateroom.

On the Noordam in 2017, we got three of those value soda drinks.  It would be fountain drink, and each time we'd hand the card over and they'd scan the card deducting the cost of the drink.  I think if you're a 4 star, it's better to just use your mini-bar in your stateroom.  Also, there's the buy one get one for $2 during happy hour.  Either way, they charge a lot!  With my 50% 4 star discount in the minibar, I was still paying around $9 for a six pack. 

6 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

OI think if you're a 4 star, it's better to just use your mini-bar in your stateroom.  Also, there's the buy one get one for $2 during happy hour.  Either way, they charge a lot!  With my 50% 4 star discount in the minibar, I was still paying around $9 for a six pack. 

It will be a while yet before we can aspire to 4 star status.

Meanwhile, the $25 card that gives us $50 worth of soda is a good compromise, and we also pick up a few cans to bring back on board when we go ashore.

19 hours ago, plettza said:

Good question.  My cup would get quite festy after a few days.  Plus, I'm on a cruise, I shouldn't be doing dishes!

Many bartenders would rinse out the cup without being asked.  I bet if you asked nicely they would give it a quick cleaning.

19 hours ago, plettza said:

Also, does HAL use actual soda fountains, i.e. post-mix dispensers at their bars?

I can only speak about the Koningsdam... Most bars have the soda guns, but some don't.  For example, the soda station at the Lido restaurant only had cans.

18 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

Unless something has changed may want to check the fine print as there are Coke freestyle machines on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam and the cups are issued to use with the machines. Then yes a sticker is also put on your ship ID card so that people can get a drink at a bar or somewhere else without having the cup. Thing is, there is more to pick from to make using the freestyle machine (my favorite is grape sprite) but have to have the cup to use it because of the chip that is in it to activate it to use. I have purchased a cup on both ships when we have been on them. When the Koningsdam entered service the cup for the machine was $7 per day. If only one person in the cabin wanted one this could be done. Since then looks like the cost has gone up to $9 per day and now looks like if one person in the cabin wants it so does at least the 2nd person. $9 a day for unlimited soda is a lot to spend as that's a lot of soda. Because of this looks like when we sail next month it will be no more cup for the coke freestyle machine on Nieuw Statendam for me. As it is I already have 4 of them here at home. Info leading me to mention the change regarding the cups also comes from what I have seen on the HAL website so obviously this is a change since we last cruised as I was able to get one for myself but mom didn't have to.

I hope they don't enforce this rule for the Coca-Cola package (they didn't in February on the Koningsdam) since my wife drinks very little soda.

Since I've been hassled about this before on CC, please note these are MY experiences and yours may differ.

Mark

Thanks for all the info, everyone.  In a twist, my cruise partner is looking at the Quench package as she drinks speciality coffees and teas and also soda.  That means I'd need to purchase that package as well being in the same stateroom, however, the price of it is leading me to lean more towards the Signature beverage package so I can have my soda and some alcohol.  She's willing to also move up to the Signature package as it has wines and cocktails she could drink and she'd get her speciality coffees.

This leads me to another question then, is the HAL Australia website offering me the beverage packages in AUD or USD?  The available cruises themselves list in AUD but it's not clear if the package prices pre-cruise are AUD.

I haven't had a chance to ring HAL yet.

The website indicates the following:

"Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board. "

Edited by plettza

HAL charges for the alcohol component in a mixed drink, and the mixers and fruit are no charge.   If you order a shot of Makers Mark Bourbon, neat, it will cost you $8.50 plus 15%.   If you want that with Coke, it will still cost you $8.50 plus 15%.    There is no reduction in price if you have the Quench package or the Coke package.

3 hours ago, plettza said:

This leads me to another question then, is the HAL Australia website offering me the beverage packages in AUD or USD?  The available cruises themselves list in AUD but it's not clear if the package prices pre-cruise are AUD.

The website indicates the following:

"Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board. "

The website here in California quotes the same prices so they are USD.  If they are also the prices in AUS than you are getting a great deal!!  (but I really doubt it's AUS 😪 also) 

"Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package."

...........decisions.....decisions!!   Have a great cruise.

~Nancy

11 hours ago, fusion927 said:

I hope they don't enforce this rule for the Coca-Cola package (they didn't in February on the Koningsdam) since my wife drinks very little soda.

Since I've been hassled about this before on CC, please note these are MY experiences and yours may differ.

Mark

I think we have all had nerving responses by others here on CC  so that would be nothing new and at times threads have gone completely off topic.

So sounds like you were able to get the unlimited soda on the Koningsdam this past February for yourself. Good to hear. Mom and I were on the Nieuw Statendam last December 19, 2018 -January 6, 2019 and I was able to get the unlimited soda including the cup for the Coke Freestyle machine for myself. From what I have seen on the HAL website for this unlimited soda package it says that the cup is included only on the Konignsdam which is wrong as Nieuw Statendam also  offers the Coke freestyle machine  as I had it  for the Holidays a year ago. This is were I found also that all guests booked in the same stateroom has to purchase it. I will be questioning this when we board NS again for the Holidays next month. If this is now the case I wont be getting it anymore and I will survive without it as we will also have the  signature beverage package anyways as it was included with our booking. Just will not be able to make my grape Sprite. 

12 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

From what I have seen on the HAL website for this unlimited soda package it says that the cup is included only on the Konignsdam which is wrong as Nieuw Statendam also  offers the Coke freestyle machine  as I had it  for the Holidays a year ago

Unfortunately, the last time we were on the Koningsdam, both FreeStyle machines were down for the entire voyage 🤬  That's why I got to know the bartenders real well!  I also missed by DietCoke with Vanilla 😃

That was also the voyage where the cruise director was going through his normal promotions and mentioned the K was the only ship with the Blend wine program.  I pointed out to him that his script was wrong and that the Nieuw Statendam also had it.  Threw him for a loop for a second!

10 hours ago, fusion927 said:

Unfortunately, the last time we were on the Koningsdam, both FreeStyle machines were down for the entire voyage 🤬  That's why I got to know the bartenders real well!  I also missed by DietCoke with Vanilla 😃

That was also the voyage where the cruise director was going through his normal promotions and mentioned the K was the only ship with the Blend wine program.  I pointed out to him that his script was wrong and that the Nieuw Statendam also had it.  Threw him for a loop for a second!

When we were on NS and did the 3 back to back to back cruises, cups for the Freestyle machine were not sold for the 7 day new years cruise because of problems that developed that involved programming the chip in the cups. For those of us that had them from the previous 7 day Christmas and 4 night Bahamas cruise prior to that, we could continue to use them when the New Years cruise started but when they expired due to  the problem that was it. I know as a result  of this I had some extra days that I know I shouldn't have had.

Obviously your CD found out he was wrong and hopefully found out that what you told him was right. People in Seattle dont always know everything about what is really going on, on board the ships. Yes NS also has the Coke Freestyle but for some reason only has one machine vs two on Koningsdam.

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 6:24 AM, daisy-mae said:

It will be a while yet before we can aspire to 4 star status.

Meanwhile, the $25 card that gives us $50 worth of soda is a good compromise, and we also pick up a few cans to bring back on board when we go ashore.

Can the soda card be shared between two cruisers?

Thanks!

We're just off the Koningsdam and I purchased the Coca Cola package just for my husband on the website a month before the cruise............ I was not required to purchase the package for me.   He got the cup and both FreeStyle machines were working just fine.   (he drinks a LOT of diet Coke)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1