Inter ship transfer

sheepers21

We have booked back to back cruises on 2 different H\A ships in February. Does anyone have any experience or advice as to how we get from one H\A ship to the other??

from Koningsdam to the Nieuw Statendam on February 23rd, if that helps???

53 minutes ago, sheepers21 said:

We have booked back to back cruises on 2 different H\A ships in February. Does anyone have any experience or advice as to how we get from one H\A ship to the other??

from Koningsdam to the Nieuw Statendam on February 23rd, if that helps???

Very likely, one ship will be a Terminal 21 and the other that Terminal 26.  One terminal is directly across from the other.  Ought to be a very easy transfer and you might be able to talk a Porter into helping get your luggage and you from one terminal to the other.  (A generous gratuity would be in order if he would do that for you.)

Ty so much for your replies. Mobility is no issue whatsoever. I was more concerned about access from ship to ship with luggage. Distance between ships is an unknown to us as well as possible denial due to forklift loading etc. I expect that taxis will not look kindly on such a short fare, especially since they endured waiting at the port for a long time to get a fare. We don't mind walking at all if it is possible to get to the terminal for processing. (Customs, embarkation, etc.

6 minutes ago, sheepers21 said:

We don't mind walking at all if it is possible to get to the terminal for processing. (Customs, embarkation, etc.

An easy walk, be aware of the traffic around the terminals, and use the crosswalks provided.  I recall that police are present to help control the traffic in those areas to those using the crosswalks from being in danger.  When you arrive at your next terminal, simply hand over your luggage to the Porters there for it to be placed aboard your next ship.  (Be sure you have the luggage tags for your new ship attached to your luggage and any old tags removed!)

You have booked consecutive c ruises.  Sounds wonderful,  B to- B  is x  consecutive  cruises  on  the   same ship.

It would be better  answering   you if you   tell    us in which port  you will leave one HAL ship and board another .

There will be 6 other non-HAL ships at FLL that day (2 RCI, 2 Celebrity, 1 Carnival, 1 Princess) so it is possible that the K-dam and N.S. will not be within easy walking distance of each other.  If that turns out to be the case, take a taxi but be up-front about it and offer $20 for the trip. That's about what the fare would be to the airport with a tip, and he won't have to use much gasoline!

About 7 to 10 days prior, go to this site to see which piers your ships will be at:

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

:347241122_PortEvergladesmap.jpg.01d453ed4307ce33a66ecb7ae5bd867a.jpg

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepers21 said:

Ty so much for your replies. Mobility is no issue whatsoever. I was more concerned about access from ship to ship with luggage. Distance between ships is an unknown to us as well as possible denial due to forklift loading etc. I expect that taxis will not look kindly on such a short fare, especially since they endured waiting at the port for a long time to get a fare. We don't mind walking at all if it is possible to get to the terminal for processing. (Customs, embarkation, etc.

I think you would have to walk it across the street.  NS will be at 26 and the KDAM will at 21.  Captain Albert will be making the same move from the KDAM  to the NS.  

16 minutes ago, Himself said:

I think you would have to walk it across the street.  NS will be at 26 and the KDAM will at 21.

Not necessarily. We have sailed on HAL ships from 19 and 29, and IIRC returned once to 27. On occasion HAL ships have used northport piers.  On the day we left from 29 there was a free shuttle from the midport garage, so no need for walking or a taxi.

Edited by catl331

2 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Not necessarily. We have sailed on HAL ships from 19 and 29, and on occasion HAL ships have used northport piers.  On the day we left from 29 there was a free shuttle from the midport garage, so no need for walking or a taxi.

29 is much farther on land from 26 than is 21.

One of you hop into   the taxi back seat   while   the other watches driver and porter   from terminal load luggage in the trunk.  When you are both  seated in bac k  seat   telll  driver   where to ake you.  Driver  cannot  refuse at this point   .Certainly  plan to tip well.

,image.png.f7c8de6e6847ee114e3e4fad0d667529.png

14 hours ago, sail7seas said:

When you are both  seated in bac k  seat   telll  driver   where to ake you. Driver  cannot  refuse at this point  

Sorry, but I just could not do that.  I would tell the driver and agree on a price before getting into the car. I think I recall reading on this forum of a case where the driver demanded much more money than the meter read at the destination pier before he would open the trunk to take out the baggage.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, sheepers21 said:

If it does come to pass that the two terminals are way too far to walk, then a taxi would be our only other choice???

As I said in a prior post, once when we sailed from pier 29 there was a free shuttle from the mid-port garage provided either by HAL or the port - I don't know which - and I don't know how often that happens.  You could also try Uber/Lyft.

If you don't feel comfortable asking for just a short ride, have a taxi/Uber take you up to Total Wine to pick up a couple bottles and then back to the second pier.

Edited by catl331

In Feb I had consecutive cruises on Nieuw Statendam arriving at 26, and Nieuw Amsterdam departing at 20. I just walked into the Mid Port Garage at the entrance nearest 26 and exited near 20. No problem and an easy walk. I left Nieuw Statendam in almost the last group and was on Nieuw Amsterdam quickly.

In 2016, we arrived in FL on the Koningsdam from Europe (her first Transatlantic) and were continuing on the Zuiderdam for a Caribbean cruise. We asked at the Koningsdam desk about where the two ships would be and how we could best transfer. They kindly arranged for us to get on an airport-bound bus, and we were dropped at the Zuiderdam on the way out of the port. May or may not work for you, but it might be worth asking.

Edited by Dr.Dobro
misspelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, catl331 said:

Sorry, but I just could not do that.  I would tell the driver and agree on a price before getting into the car. I think I recall reading on this forum of a case where the driver demanded much more money than the meter read at the destination pier before he would open the trunk to take out the baggage.

That is (one of the reasons) why there are police officers and  other officials outside  the terminal at  the pier. 

image.png.1bb9cf5494b172c72905f1457760f08a.png

Every taxi we have taken at port Everglades  ( a great many)for years and years, all put on the  meter,  I am sorry to tell you,  there is no discussion  on  a price in advance.  You pay what the meter says plus tip.

Unless a very long ride or sightseeing, I much prefer a metered taxi.

There is nothing wrong  with what I outlined.   Taxi drivers are not supposed to refuse fares at Port Everglades

.image.png.b2fcb5c8682ecf456a451c9521f8a074.png

I transferred from the veendam to the koningsdam a few weeks ago.  A porter brought my bags with me and I gave a generous tip.  The other option is to plan on going out in between ships.  Get a taxi or uber and tell them you need to drop off your luggage at the next ship before going shopping, to the beach, etc.  It could  be quite a wait in the terminal depending on what time your 1st ship forces you off and the 2nd ship will allow you to board.  The koningsdam had just begun disembarking when I dropped my bags off.  

On 11/24/2019 at 7:04 PM, sail7seas said:

Every taxi we have taken at port Everglades  ( a great many)for years and years, all put on the  meter,  I am sorry to tell you,  there is no discussion  on  a price in advance.  You pay what the meter says plus tip.

How many of those were from one pier to another?

On 11/24/2019 at 8:58 AM, catl331 said:

Sorry, but I just could not do that.  I would tell the driver and agree on a price before getting into the car. 

Agreed.  There's a term for pulling a move like that (aka "Richard move" ). 

Truth is, it probably won't be necessary anyways. But if it is, I recommend being up-front and honest with the taxi driver.  Either that, or make friends with a FL local on the cruise who can drive you over there. 😉

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Agreed.  There's a term for pulling a move like that (aka "Richard move" ). 

Truth is, it probably won't be necessary anyways. But if it is, I recommend being up-front and honest with the taxi driver.  Either that, or make friends with a FL local on the cruise who can drive you over there. 😉

Suit yourself  Do what you wish. That Is what most folks do these days, is it not?

W ant to break the code?  What is a Richard?             ooh, me, oh my

Nah,  don't bother,

by george, I think she's got   it.

image.png.88a14b26e211b61635d040917fda2a39.png

Edited by sail7seas