Current shows on the Nieuw Statendam?

FOPMan

We just got of the NS last Sunday. We had an average comedian, an excellent magician, an average impersonator, two nights of singers with a live band called Post Modern Jukebox and one night of an underwater video on the screens. 

Overall, we were disappointed with the entertainment on the main show stage. The BB King band was great and the Rolling stone band was good, but you better get there early if you want a seat. 

While some do not care for the Postmodern Jukebox shows, we, on the other hand did. The concept of taking popular music and reworking it into different vintage genres, especially early 20th century forms such as swing and jazz was fun, we thought. We were fortunate to have a fantastic PMJ band on our NS cruise this month. There were two shows on a seven night cruise. We attended both and enjoyed them. You can see the show in the Main Theater and then head to BB Kings Blues Club and after that on to the Rolling Stones Rock Room. Enjoy!

Edited by DFWGUYZ
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

It's really a shame that they spent all of the money building the fancy theaters in Koningsdam and NS and then cut their production shows.

It's a shame they have nice big theater venues on most of the ships and don't have much that actually uses the whole stage.

32 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

It's a shame they have nice big theater venues on most of the ships and don't have much that actually uses the whole stage.

Yeah, but they built all the fancy screens in the theaters on the new ships and what do they use them for? The BBC nature movie once per cruise?

4 hours ago, 510picker said:

We just got of the NS last Sunday. We had an average comedian, an excellent magician, an average impersonator, two nights of singers with a live band called Post Modern Jukebox and one night of an underwater video on the screens. 

Overall, we were disappointed with the entertainment on the main show stage. The BB King band was great and the Rolling stone band was good, but you better get there early if you want a seat. 

You had way more entertainment than we did in June on NS. We had a lousy comedian and that was it. I sure hope we have more shows when we cruise next year. 

14 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yeah, but they built all the fancy screens in the theaters on the new ships and what do they use them for? The BBC nature movie once per cruise?

Well, I don't know what happened to my post, but here it is again:

That's like what we had on the Eurodam last March.  Well, OK, it was just the regular movie screen, but still just a TV show with live music.  I can fall asleep watching the TV in my room, I don't need that experience in a big theater.

I will say that even though I was some what disappointed in the entertainment, we had a wonderful cruise! The Post Modern Jukebox band was by far the best on the ship, in my opinion.  They looked like they were having fun together, which makes for a good show.

The service throughout the ship was typical HAL, which is top notch. This is the reason I cruise with HAL. I can entertain myself, by I can’t make the crew do a good job. They were all fantastic! The food was probably the best I’ve had on any cruise. We were never disappointed with a meal. 

Rereading my original post made it sound like nothing was good, which quite the opposite was true. Enjoy your cruise on this fantastic ship and create some wonderful memories!

9 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I think it is simply a case of hiatus and/or working new content.  RWS, who is the contractor, is actively (as of last week) promoting Step One and HAL.    Scott. 

image.png

We saw PMJ again last night and LOVED it. We will travel 4 hours to see them (3x so far). They are all extremely talented, a very tight show with high production values, frequently hilarious. They did "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" as a sultry torch song. A cabaret type of performance, songs, comdy chatter, dancing, often a great tap dancer, they all interact, relaxed but sharp. I'd call them "performer's performers"--professional folks are crazy about them. We're hoping they'll be on the NS with us in a couple of weeks!

13 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

I think it is simply a case of hiatus and/or working new content.  RWS, who is the contractor, is actively (as of last week) promoting Step One and HAL.    Scott. 

We saw Step One on Koningsdam in June (that group's last cruise on their contract). There were two shows. One wasn't very good, the other was decent. But it's dancing to canned music. No live music or singers. Yeah. they used the screens. But Royal and Celebrity do multiple production shows a week.

6 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

We saw Step One on Koningsdam in June (that group's last cruise on their contract). There were two shows. One wasn't very good, the other was decent. But it's dancing to canned music. No live music or singers. Yeah. they used the screens. But Royal and Celebrity do multiple production shows a week.

We saw Step One on the Eurodam in March.  Two shows, but we didn't go to the second one.  The first one was bad enough.  To me it seems like those modern dance shows I had to sit through in high school.  Not much (or any) story line, lots of weird angled arms & legs, flashing lights, trying too hard to say "aren't we artsy?"

9 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

We saw Step One on the Eurodam in March.  Two shows, but we didn't go to the second one.  The first one was bad enough.  To me it seems like those modern dance shows I had to sit through in high school.  Not much (or any) story line, lots of weird angled arms & legs, flashing lights, trying too hard to say "aren't we artsy?"

I decided to give them a second chance since I had seen some of them at Billboard Onboard after the first show. Plus I recall that the CD told me that the second show was better and used the screens.