On the Sky and have a weird TV problem

itf

We’ve got a mini suite with two televisions which is great as we’re travelling with my daughter. However both remotes control both TVs at the same time! Anyone experienced this and got a solution! We don’t want to watch the same thing and turning ours up doesn’t mean we want hers turned up!

10 minutes ago, itf said:

We’ve got a mini suite with two televisions which is great as we’re travelling with my daughter. However both remotes control both TVs at the same time! Anyone experienced this and got a solution! We don’t want to watch the same thing and turning ours up doesn’t mean we want hers turned up!

TV remote controls work by flashing an infra-red (invisible) light and the TV seeing it.  To get a remote to control only one of your two TVs, aim the light so only one TV sees the IR light (or it's reflection).

19 minutes ago, Haboob said:

TV remote controls work by flashing an infra-red (invisible) light and the TV seeing it.  To get a remote to control only one of your two TVs, aim the light so only one TV sees the IR light (or it's reflection).

They’re on opposite walls. One remote definitely doesn’t have line of sight to the other television. 

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Happened in our suites too.

Just try and get in a position where only one will change.

Ditto, had to point remote away from 1 tv. I was holding on wife a bit, that was Stoopid on my part. LOL.

3 hours ago, Haboob said:

3 hours ago, itf said:

They’re on opposite walls. One remote definitely doesn’t have line of sight to the other television. 

"...(or it's reflection)"

Often enough will bounce off even a painted wall to trigger the other set.  I've not sailed on Sky but closing a mid-cabin curtain (if you have one) should work  (and lower the audio cross-talk between the TVs.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, itf said:

I have found at home that I can point my remote away from the TV and the remote still works, so direct line of sight is not always required.

This "solution" is admittedly a bit ridiculous...but it should work!  Just get the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper and use it to "aim" the infrared signal to the desired TV.

Is this going to look absolutely crazy?  Of course!  But at least you'll be able to get the channel off of Jerry Springer when your grandkids are trying to watch Sesame Street.

• Like 2