BUENOS AIRES TAXIS AND USD

iluvbkk

I've looked but can't definitively find an answer regarding USD usage for small amounts such as taxi rides to the cruise port from a downtown hotel.  I think I just might arrange to be picked up at the hotel in advance and therefore, I'd be able to charge the fee but I was thinking about tips and if USD would be acceptable.  Given their fluctuating currency issues, I would think that USD would be appreciated. But I don't really understand the ins and outs of currency so....any help is greatly appreciated.

Most hotels will hail a cab for you. I usually ask the doorman the approx. cost to my destination. The meter will show the price in pesos. If you choose to pay in USD, make sure you know the exchange rate as some taxis will give their own estimate in their favour. Tips are minimal - just round up.

When we were in BA in Dec 2018 the taxis would not accept USD. We had to pay in pesos. The up side is that taxi rides are significantly less expensive than private transfers. We converted $100 into pesos at our US airport before flying because we were nervous about going to BA without money in hand. I don't recall exact amounts, but the cab from EZE to our hotel was somewhere around 1800 pesos ($30 USD), could have been less. Before venturing out to sightsee from our hotel we asked the clerk what the approximate cost to where we were headed would be and then asked the clerk to convert a $20 bill into pesos before heading to the cab. A ride from the hotel across town cost us around 350 pesos ($6).  We were staying in the Puerto Madero section and the cost from hotel to the port was around 900 pesos ($15). We tipped our drivers using pesos, but I'm pretty sure they would have been just as happy to receive a couple of USD.  

There's quite a bit of recent info here about pesos/US$ and I would recommend reading it. From what I'VE read the dollar is highly preferred pretty much everywhere. You can get discounts for $. We're actually taking in about $300 in various denominations, lots of 1s, 5s, etc. Please read.

13 hours ago, clo said:

There's quite a bit of recent info here about pesos/US$ and I would recommend reading it. From what I'VE read the dollar is highly preferred pretty much everywhere. You can get discounts for $. We're actually taking in about $300 in various denominations, lots of 1s, 5s, etc. Please read.

Our taxi driver in Buenos Aires said no to USD last week. Not everyone wants USD as there are charges to convert it to pesos, I had to pay a surcharge for AR currency in Uruguay due to the volatility.

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, WeRockChalkKU said:

We’re not in BA until December 2020. Sounds like there is no telling what the preferred currency will be. 

We were there in Jan.  The preferred currency almost everywhere was $USD in cash.

After spending 10 days in Buenos Aires last summer, I can report that taxis can be hailed on the street with a hand wave or called to your hotel or B&B.  Pesos, not dollars, are taken per the meter.  Even on short rides, taxi drivers were surprised that I would tip more than the round up to the next size bill.  In specialty stores, you can often negotiate in dollars rather than use pesos or a credit card.  Our hotel (NH) always had english speaking staff on duty but most restaurants we went to had one or two people who would gladly assist us in english. 

Mike in Ohio

On 2/20/2020 at 8:55 AM, Bru92 said:

I can report that taxis can be hailed on the street with a hand wave

Agree and it typically took just a few minutes. And it may make you feel more comfortable to write down the name and address of your destination in case your Spanish is poor or nonexistent.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from BA. 

I found that if you hail a taxi, the meter will be used and you will pay in pesos.  I gave an extra 100 pesos and the drivers seemed intensely grateful. 

If you get the taxi at the cruise terminal or hotel, the fare can be negotiated and paid in USD.  No meter was used in these instances.