Sydney restaurant suggestions

Irina

We will be spending 6 nights precruise in Sydney and would love restaurant suggestions! We prefer more local type places rather than touristy types. We are looking for  good food of course, but also places that are  fun and have a cool atmosphere. Any help is appreciated!

Penny

• Thanks 1

Also interested in this topic.  I’ve heard great things from my cousin about Manly Wine (it’s a restaurant) in Manly Beach, so we will take the ferry over and spend some time there. She also said the ferry to Manly Beach is basically a Harbor Cruise, so don’t waste money booking one of those separately. 🙂

• Like 2

Let's just hope the dreadful fire situation will improve, mainly for the sake of the residents of course but also for those of us soon to embark on once-in-a-lifetime trips down under. Won't be seeing much of the Sydney harbour otherwise.

We love the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar at Circular Quay. It's a bit touristy but the seafood is great and the views are lovely.

For the best Neopolitan-style pizza in Australia try Via Napoli in Surry Hills, or if you don't mind a short taxi/Uber ride come to the original one in Lane Cove (my local pizzeria).

Another seafood restaurant that is great is Garfish, opposite the Ferry Wharf in Manly. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2019 at 8:25 AM, kseattle said:

Also interested in this topic.  I’ve heard great things from my cousin about Manly Wine (it’s a restaurant) in Manly Beach, so we will take the ferry over and spend some time there. She also said the ferry to Manly Beach is basically a Harbor Cruise, so don’t waste money booking one of those separately. 🙂

I saw 3 different places called Manly Wine when I googled it. Do you know which one your cousin was talking about?

thanks!

Too many eateries to choice from - all depends on what you fancy. I'm a great brunch fan and thus would recommend the Boathouse on Shelly Beach in Manly (also the Ferry from CQ has to be one of the most iconic trips you can take - good cure for jet-lag if it's a bit choppy 😀). Also, the Social Brew Cafe in Pyrmont (near Darling Harbour) - which would be - if I lived in the area - my go to...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We are staying in Manly 12/31 and 1/1, and then at the Grace Hotel which I believe is in the CBD for 4 nights. I love finding the off the beaten path local places, and while I love good seafood and will pay the price  I also love the reasonable and bargain places!

9 hours ago, kathy9 said:

I see that there are a large amount of Sydney restaurants on the Open Table app. Can't wait to arrive (January 01) and start exploring!  

Not familiar with the app but there are plenty of places to get a feed in Sydney from top of the line eating establishments and cafes and don’t miss trying some Pub food.

On 12/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, Irina said:

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We are staying in Manly 12/31 and 1/1, and then at the Grace Hotel which I believe is in the CBD for 4 nights. I love finding the off the beaten path local places, and while I love good seafood and will pay the price  I also love the reasonable and bargain places!

Whenever we go to Sydney we take the ferry toManly and have lunch in the Steyne Hotel

in the Seaside  Bistro. Worth a walk through, even if you decide to dine elsewhere.

https://hotelsteyne.com.au/

• Thanks 1

For us it is the ferry to Watson’s Bay and a feed of Fish and Chips at Doyle’s, the pub is good value, or maybe out to Woolloomoloo for a Pie at Harry’s though Burgers & Ribs at the Rocks is convenient to the OPT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 8:04 AM, GUT2407 said:

Another issue is where are you staying, if you want to dine within the proximity.

In March, we will be staying at the Marriott at Circular Quay for five nights.  We enjoy a variety of  foods, especially local dishes. Love going to known restaurants as well as non tourist establishments.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  We are planning a day ferry to Manly and if the fires subside,  a tour to Blue Mts.  Also, is there a wine store in walking distance so we can get some bottles before boarding. 

I've noted all the suggestions given in the above posts....Thanks!

Brandee aka Chris

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Also, is there a wine store in walking distance so we can get some bottles before boarding. 

I've noted all the suggestions given in the above posts....Thanks!

Brandee aka Chris

Mr Liquor is right next to the ship.  When cruising from Circular Quay we like to drop our luggage off early and have a cocktail or two on the balcony of Wild Ginger overlooking the ship..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andlep said:

Mr Liquor is right next to the ship.  When cruising from Circular Quay we like to drop our luggage off early and have a cocktail or two on the balcony of Wild Ginger overlooking the ship..

Thank you for the info.  I didn't know you can drop off the luggage early..How do you do this...just to to terminal and show boarding pass...how early?  Thanks again

4 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Thank you for the info.  I didn't know you can drop off the luggage early..How do you do this...just to to terminal and show boarding pass...how early?  Thanks again

We usually stay at Holiday Inn right opposite the terminal and I go for a walk to watch our ship arrive and maybe get HER A cup-a, I have seen them taking luggage from about 8:30, I have dropped my luggage about 9:00 before wandering around George St for last minute stuff I forgot, never been asked for documentation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CupcakeSusie said:

If you’re willing to travel a few km and you like Italian, make sure you visit Leichhardt. I really like Moretti. If you love pizza, Via Napoli at Hunters Hill is good. 

Thank you ..considering my grandma from Qualetta , Naples, name is Maria Moretti..think I'll give it a try.

• Like 1