Super Shuttle

hpeabody

Just FYI ... For those who may have considered Super Shuttle to get to the port, Super Shuttle is going out of business.
I arrived at my home airport LAX last night to find myself having a very difficult time finding Super Shuttle for my ride home. When I did, I found a lady, Super Shuttle rep sitting on the ground against a big post way far from where I arrived. No Super Shuttle sign, no little stand/tablet set up as usual, She informed me that as of Dec 31st Super Shuttle is going out of business. So sad 😞

There was a story about this on LA tv last night, but they made it sound like Super Shuttle was pulling out of LAX rather than closing shop. Wonder which is correct?

EDIT: found the answer. The LA Times says "going out of business due to competition from Uber & Lyft".

Edited by JF - retired RRT

53 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Does anyone know if this affects execucar? I believe they are owned by SS.

TIA.

SuperShuttle, the long running airport shuttle service with the distinctive blue-and-yellow vans, is going out of business at the end of the year.

Airports were notified this week that SuperShuttle and sister sedan service ExecuCar will cease operations on Dec. 31.

From USA Today article

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/12/12/supershuttle-airport-ride-vans-ceasing-operations-dec-31-uber-lyft-competition/4414020002/

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

It's about $30 and pretty efficient though it will appear like a total circus show.  Make sure that you don't contact Uber on your phone (or you will likely incur a $5 cancellation fee like I did) as you get a pin number from one of the attendees managing the Uber car line and then you tell that pin number to the driver once you get in.  The Uber cars are lined up usually already and you just take the first one available in order after obtaining your pin number.

What??  Would you mind going into more detail?  Not sure how Uber charges if you don't order it on your phone.  I'm lost here ... 

Is this only at LAX?  

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

It's about $30 and pretty efficient though it will appear like a total circus show.  Make sure that you don't contact Uber on your phone (or you will likely incur a $5 cancellation fee like I did) as you get a pin number from one of the attendees managing the Uber car line and then you tell that pin number to the driver once you get in.  The Uber cars are lined up usually already and you just take the first one available in order after obtaining your pin number.

Do you have any idea if wifi is available in the Uber pickup area? I don't have a data plan when travelling in the USA so I rely on wifi. Could I reserve an Uber from the airport (where I assume wifi is available) then head over to the Uber pick up area with my PIN number?

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

I've never used Uber and was told the quoted price includes the gratuity. Is that a fact?

It used to be that they didn't ask for tips ... when your ride was over, you were done.  Just rate your driver, tip in cash if you wanted but not really expected.  

Now, there is a place on the app to tip and yes, now, they kind of expect a tip.  The fare doesn't include a tip.  

From the Uber website for LAX:

How to get a ride from LAX

Get on a shuttle and head to LAX-it

Take an LAX-it shuttle on the arrivals (lower) level curbside. They are expected to come every 5 minutes, and travel time to LAX-it is typically 15 minutes or less. You can also walk from Terminals 1, 2, 7, and 8.

Once in LAX-it

Find your Uber pickup point:

• UberX: either curbs 2, 3 or 4
  • Comfort, UberXL, Select and POOL: back portion of curb 2

Note: Uber Black and Uber Black SUV will continue to pick up at the terminal on the outer island curb.

How pickups work for riders

UberX pickups between 8am and midnight will use the new PIN system:

1. Request an UberX trip to receive a 6-digit personal identification number (PIN).
  2. Once in LAX-it, walk to the UberX PIN pickup zone on either curbs 2, 3 or 4, and join the line.
  3. Share your unique PIN with the first available driver.
  4. Verify vehicle and driver details before you get into the vehicle.

Pickups for other ways to ride with Uber, or for UberX from midnight to 8am, may be requested normally.

Curbside pickups

If you prefer a more convenient curbside pickup, simply request an Uber Black or Uber Black SUV trip. Then head to your selected pickup point on the outer island curb on the downstairs arrivals level for your pickup.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

From the Uber website for LAX:

How to get a ride from LAX

Get on a shuttle and head to LAX-it

Take an LAX-it shuttle on the arrivals (lower) level curbside. They are expected to come every 5 minutes, and travel time to LAX-it is typically 15 minutes or less. You can also walk from Terminals 1, 2, 7, and 8.

Once in LAX-it

Find your Uber pickup point:

• UberX: either curbs 2, 3 or 4
  • Comfort, UberXL, Select and POOL: back portion of curb 2

Note: Uber Black and Uber Black SUV will continue to pick up at the terminal on the outer island curb.

How pickups work for riders

UberX pickups between 8am and midnight will use the new PIN system:

1. Request an UberX trip to receive a 6-digit personal identification number (PIN).
  2. Once in LAX-it, walk to the UberX PIN pickup zone on either curbs 2, 3 or 4, and join the line.
  3. Share your unique PIN with the first available driver.
  4. Verify vehicle and driver details before you get into the vehicle.

Pickups for other ways to ride with Uber, or for UberX from midnight to 8am, may be requested normally.

Curbside pickups

If you prefer a more convenient curbside pickup, simply request an Uber Black or Uber Black SUV trip. Then head to your selected pickup point on the outer island curb on the downstairs arrivals level for your pickup.

Thank you so much.  I looked at the LAX website a couple of weeks ago .. totally missed that PIN pickup instruction.  

I'm still a little unsure how you verify your vehicle and driver details but I'm sure they will know what's going on or somebody will be there to help.  

thanks again ...

6 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Does anyone know if this affects execucar? I believe they are owned by SS.

TIA.

We booked an Execucar and took it today.  The service was wonderful.  As soon as my flight landed and I turned on my phone, there was a text message stating the driver was waiting in the holding area and to call him when we are ready.  We got our luggage and then called him.  He asked us to walk outside to the median and tell him the number and letter on the post.  I did, and he told me the number on his van.  He pulled up about 10 minutes later.

We booked the same service to return  to the airport, so hopefully it is just as smooth.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

We booked an Execucar and took it today.  The service was wonderful.  As soon as my flight landed and I turned on my phone, there was a text message stating the driver was waiting in the holding area and to call him when we are ready.  We got our luggage and then called him.  He asked us to walk outside to the median and tell him the number and letter on the post.  I did, and he told me the number on his van.  He pulled up about 10 minutes later.

We booked the same service to return  to the airport, so hopefully it is just as smooth.

Thank you for your very helpful answer on your experience (not everyone is kind about their answers to people asking questions on CC).

We are flying in this week so I will plan on them but will check to be sure.

Safe travels!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Thank you for your very helpful answer on your experience (not everyone is kind about their answers to people asking questions on CC).

We are flying in this week so I will plan on them but will check to be sure.

Safe travels!

You're welcome.  It is worth the small amount extra to pay for this service out of LAX, in my opinion.  It was stress-free and very easy.

22 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Just to clarify, can you  get the pin number from an attendant at the LAX-it lot. From the posting about Uber at Lax it seems like you request your pin  before getting to the lot.