Why would they offer a MoveUp Bid request to a cabin that isn't available??

packyourpixiedust

I received a move up email for the Feb 16th Edge sailing. I looked online though and the Iconic Cabin is sold out, as well as the Edge Villa, but both were listed in my MoveUp email. In theory, the Iconic Suite person won't move down. Now that could happen to the person in the Edge Villa, but why would they list the Iconic?? And did they list the Edge because the theory is maybe someone will move up?? 

Also, I perused some questions in here but didn't see an answer- anyone know how they decide it? Could it be purely on price? Because if suite people are offered higher cabins at a lower price, so then they wouldn't pay as much in theory as someone not already in a suite/upper suite. Curious about your thoughts. 

Celebrity does this in case of last minute cancellations.  Much easier way for the cruise line than the old way of calling plus they can choose the offers that yields them the maximum revenue.  It's all a computerized system from an outside company that will calculate the moveups to yield the maximum profit.

Edited by Want2Cruise 701

Since you don’t sail for nearly two months, a lot can change with inventory between now and then.  So Celebrity goes ahead and solicits MoveUpq bids from anyone in a lesser category in the event of cancellations down the road. 

Example: Earlier this year we sailed in a Celebrity Suite that we booked outright. About 6 weeks before sailing the website indicated that category was sold out, yet we met two different people onboard who won MoveUp bids at the last minute to Celebrity Suites. 

IMO too many people place too much emphasis on what we see via public access to inventory. There’s a lot of behind the scenes going on with incentory that we’re not privy to. 

Good luck with your bidding and have a wonderful cruise no matter what category you wind up sailing in! 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree -  there are cancellations and also some people in the classification you may be bidding on will get upgraded to a higher cabin thus freeing up a room in a classification that is sold out.

My understanding is that Celebrity outsources the Move-Up bid to a company that also handles many airlines.   They use a propriety software to maximize revenue for the company.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with both schools of thought.  I think it is a 'just in case' last minute cancel thing, but I also think the company compiles pricing data for Celebrity.  Gives them an idea of what people are willing to pay.  I have noticed on occasion people seem to be happy to bid amounts that are actually higher than the original price of the cabin, had they booked earlier on!  I have gotten to the point where I will only bid when there are several cabins potentially available.  I would never bid the highest amount so I know I would not likely ever win a list minute cancellation situation.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1