Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

56 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Meaning that they can safely get the existing passengers onboard back to New Orleans and she isn't going to sink on the way.  You people are dreaming if you think she isn't going out of service for many weeks.  That's structural iron.  She's gone.  Maybe by her scheduled sailing this weekend.

yeah, I'm going to agree here. There's no way this ship keeps sailing in that shape. She will be out of service for several weeks to get repairs and it would be pure negligence on Carnival's part to not do so. Seaworthy in flat, calm waters is one thing, but you never know when a storm pops up and that dining room would be come a pretty radical wave pool pretty quickly.

Anyone sailing on the Glory for the next...month or so (maybe two months), should pay attention to their email inbox for a heads-up from Carnival. You're probably losing your sailing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, K.T.B. said:

Odds are you're possibly correct, but it's not definite until Carnival says so.  So far people are reporting that Glory is still sailing and there's been no change.

Let's say the ship does sail, do you really want to be on a ship without much of the dining room?   I would be on the phone with Carnival looking to move to another ship.  The early person has the best options.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Let's say the ship does sail, do you really want to be on a ship without much of the dining room?   I would be on the phone with Carnival looking to move to another ship.  The early person has the best options.

I bet the passengers of the affected cruises are going to get a few extra perks.  So, yeah, I'd be on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While on a "behind the fun" tour aboard the Legend the Captain told us the story of an accident while he was captain & port pilot was aboard.  He told us the port pilot caused the damage, but since he was captain he was also at fault.  So whether or not the port pilot was maneuvering the ship- captain is still in command & responsible.  I am just glad no one was seriously injured or killed.  What an experience for those on board, I cannot imagine feeling that severe of a hit.  Guess they will all have something to talk about for years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

doesn't look like a dry dock would be needed if all the damage is just the dining rooms.

Just build a false wall in that corner of the dining room and do the work during port days and during the day when no passengers are in the dining room.

No different than when a store in the mall closes and they renovate the inside.

Just need to rearrange a few dinner tables to cover everybody, maybe add a few to the my time dining that couldnt get it but wanted it when they booked.

They may have to go into dry dock to fix the buckled deck, that isn't something that I would expect to be repaired outside of a dry dock. 

• Like 5

Here's what baffles me. How could this happen? Even if the radar isn't working, there were no clouds in the sky, did the pilot not see a giant ship anywhere in the vicinity? Unless I'm way off, it's not like any ship that close to the dock is going fast.

I'm going to be fascinated to read the follow up to this because it seems to me like multiple people screwed up here.

• Like 2

Just now, matt1119 said:

Here's what baffles me. How could this happen? Even if the radar isn't working, there were no clouds in the sky, did the pilot not see a giant ship anywhere in the vicinity? Unless I'm way off, it's not like any ship that close to the dock is going fast.

I'm going to be fascinated to read the follow up to this because it seems to me like multiple people screwed up here.

The side of a ship acts like a big sail, especially when it's going slow, and a wind gust can move the ship before the crew can react. I strongly suspect that is what happened here.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

The side of a ship acts like a big sail, especially when it's going slow, and a wind gust can move the ship before the crew can react. I strongly suspect that is what happened here.

it is this and also think of what it is like when you drive over black ice or any ice. you might think you full control but then if something happens like strong winds or something, you suddently have NO control any more. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They may have to go into dry dock to fix the buckled deck, that isn't something that I would expect to be repaired outside of a dry dock. 

Well above the waterline and mostly cosmetic. The deck would be easy enough to straighten out with some winches, cutters and a few new pieces of steel.

Will take a few months to do it but wont have to take it out of commission to do it if they don't want to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

If that's the case, and it's possible you're correct that's what happened here, does that mean the space between ships docked in Cozumel needs to be fixed to allow for possible wind issues?

10 minutes ago, matt1119 said:

reports of high gusty winds in Cozumel all week.

If a strong gust came along and got them moving those propellers dont respond instantaneously.

Takes a little while to overcome the inertia of a 100,000 tons of boat.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, matt1119 said:

If that's the case, and it's possible you're correct that's what happened here, does that mean the space between ships docked in Cozumel needs to be fixed to allow for possible wind issues?

Once tied up to the dock they arent moving and wind isnt an issue.

You dont make parking spots farther apart because there could be ice on the ground that would cause parking cars to slide into others.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, matt1119 said:

No it means you don't dock if weather conditions are dangerous.  An NCL ship aborted docking in Cozumel due to high winds an hour before the Glory collision.  Maybe the Glory Captain should have talked to the NCL Captain.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

Well above the waterline and mostly cosmetic. The deck would be easy enough to straighten out with some winches, cutters and a few new pieces of steel.

Will take a few months to do it but wont have to take it out of commission to do it if they don't want to.

If you have ship building experience I'll of course bow to your wisdom but that isn't cosmetic damage. I can see them trying to make precision welds on a moving deck.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

If you have ship building experience I'll of course bow to your wisdom but that isn't cosmetic damage. I can see them trying to make precision welds on a moving deck.

No ship building experience but I have spent a few years in structural engineering classes and construction industry.

They can get prep work done underway and when tied up in ports get the precision work done while the boat isn't moving.

As long as they dont care how long it takes to get fixed they can keep it in service.

50 minutes ago, shaneandpamela said:

We are on the 29th sailing.  I just got off the phone with a Carnival PVP and she said that they are planning on sailing the schedule and fixing the damage on the fly.  I guess we'll get to NOLA next week and see what happens.  At least I'm stuck in NOLA "with nothing to do" if the sailing cancels.

I'm supposed to be on the same sailing. I hope we meet on the ship, and not on land milling about NOLA with 3,000 other sad passengers who have no cruise any longer. Not that there's anything wrong with a week in NOLA. I bet I could easily have a week's worth of fun there. 

• Like 1