5% Voyager Discount & $50.00 SBC...lesson learned.

Nashna

We had the 5% Voyager discount applied to two previously booked sailings without a problem while they were still under deposit.  We added a B2B to one of those cruises at the last minute.  I had attempted to book the B2B cruise with MSC.  However, their lines were swamped on Black Friday and when I finally spoke to a customer service rep to book the cruise, she informed me that the category was not available.  Since I could plainly see the category on an online TA's site, I insisted that the customer service rep check again.  She rudely told me that there were 198 callers in the que and she did not have the time to double check.  So...I then went back to the TA and booked the cruise online directly so I could get the category and room that I wanted.  The TA's site gave me 15 minutes to complete the booking, which I did, complete with my Voyager number showing.  I just assumed (not a wise thing to do) that putting my Voyager Number in the reservation would give me the Voyager perks.  Sadly...to receive the perks, one must "request" that they be applied before final payment.  Since the reservation was last minute, the final payment and reservation were made at the same time.  Lesson learned...call the TA to make the reservation and make sure that the discount is applied before the final payment.  

17 hours ago, sfaaa said:

This could have been avoided if booked directly on MSC website instead calling.

We would never book direct with MSC as our TA's gives 11% discount on top of the Voyager's Discount.  

Maybe the lesson is to talk to your TA before you place the reservation.

4 hours ago, mickey89 said:

We would never book direct with MSC as our TA's gives 11% discount on top of the Voyager's Discount.  

Maybe the lesson is to talk to your TA before you place the reservation.

I'm with you.  I haven't quite gotten 11%, but when I booked my 11/20 cruise on Seaside YC I got my 5% Voyager discount plus another 450 (which was 9%) which is usually given as OBC.  But the agent split the 450 between a 200 direct fare reduction and 250 in OBC.  I was concerned that the OBC is non-refundable on MSC, and sailing in YC there wouldn't be much I would spend it on.  This way the OBC will cover my grats with a little left over for a specialty restaurant or something.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:11 PM, sfaaa said:

This could have been avoided if booked directly on MSC website instead calling.

The stateroom and category that I wanted were not available on the MSC website or when I called.  Yet, it was showing available on a very large cruise dot com site.  This is not the first time that I've not been able to get a stateroom via MSC and this agency has what I want.   I typically book way in advance.  This add on to my already booked cruise was in response to an amazing price for Aurea forward two room suite with a balcony.  I got a great bargain on this sailing and a fantastic stateroom so not receiving the discount isn't as painful.

4 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

Bummer! Is this a change in policy?

I don't know.  I can understand the accounting issues with the TA and MSC that reducing my price by 5% would create as most cruise lines pay their commissions at final payment.  However, I am going to try and get the $50.00 credit applied.

21 hours ago, CruiseIreland said:

Bummer! Is this a change in policy?

Certainly not in the UK, if booking outwith MSC. As someone posted earlier, and 11% discount is available by doing such with the best TA. When I book that way, I generally have a chat conversation confirming the discount to be applied and the agency note that, and issue a second invoice containing the discount. For the Voyager cruises with additional discount and $50 OBC, it is particularly important so your full discount is applied!! 😉

For any 'smart cruisers' out there the USA website (partner to the UK site I use) equivalent has a chat facility and will operate in the same manner as its' UK equivalent....I know that, because the chat facility is based in the USA and services the UK also!

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I may be wrong but I believe $50 abc  applies to Voyager 5+5% and up selected discount sailings only. Regular 5% discount sailings don't qualify.

Correct, as referenced at post #10.

21 hours ago, hamrag said:

For any 'smart cruisers' out there the USA website (partner to the UK site I use) equivalent has a chat facility and will operate in the same manner as its' UK equivalent....I know that, because the chat facility is based in the USA and services the UK also!

Viva Las Vegas...........!

• Like 1

11% discount on top of the 5%!  WOW

I need a better TA..

We paid rack rate that we see on MSC through a big box-- got the VC discount and will get  a cash back card/shopping from the TA... we got Cirque + dinner... 

20 hours ago, Fogfog said:

11% discount on top of the 5%!  WOW

I need a better TA..

We paid rack rate that we see on MSC through a big box-- got the VC discount and will get  a cash back card/shopping from the TA... we got Cirque + dinner... 

They don't like us to talk about specific prices, but on my recent YC booking for a 7 day Carib on Seaside next Nov, between my 5% Voyagers discount, the TA's discount, and the TA's OBC, I ended up paying 85.75% of the nominal fare I would have paid if I booked directly with MSC, before the 5% Voyager discount

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

They don't like us to talk about specific prices, but on my recent YC booking for a 7 day Carib on Seaside next Nov, between my 5% Voyagers discount, the TA's discount, and the TA's OBC, I ended up paying 85.75% of the nominal fare I would have paid if I booked directly with MSC, before the 5% Voyager discount

I need to find a better TA

we are looking at a World Voyage if we like YC

We are B2B in early 2020... want to see how it goes before we commit

53 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I need to find a better TA

we are looking at a World Voyage if we like YC

We are B2B in early 2020... want to see how it goes before we commit

I use one of the sites that lets TAs quote you their deals on your selected cruise/cabin, etc.  I don't need or expect much handholding so I look for the best deal from a TA that has reasonable bona fides, in terms of reviews and Better Business ratings.  This has led me to different TAs for different cruises on different cruiselines.  And, knock on wood, the different TAs I've found and used haven't caused me any disappointments.

• Like 1

This doesn't sound right... I recently sailed on Seaside.... I am a Voyager member and booked thru a 3rd party internet agency. I booked this cruise last minute so I payed in full at time of booking. Several days later I emailed the travel agency and explained I am entitled to a 5% discount as a Voyager member. Within 48 hours I was issued a new invoice showing the 5% discount and was told MSC  would credit this amount to my credit card.  Approximately 2 weeks later the credit appeared on my credit card.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:10 AM, lcpagejr said:

This doesn't sound right... I recently sailed on Seaside.... I am a Voyager member and booked thru a 3rd party internet agency. I booked this cruise last minute so I payed in full at time of booking. Several days later I emailed the travel agency and explained I am entitled to a 5% discount as a Voyager member. Within 48 hours I was issued a new invoice showing the 5% discount and was told MSC  would credit this amount to my credit card.  Approximately 2 weeks later the credit appeared on my credit card.

Thank you for that information.  I sent the TA an e-mail a few days ago to request them to double check the MSC policy based on your post above.  I did look into the MSC site and could find no information on when the discount needed to be applied.  I also called MSC back and they restated that since the booking was made by a TA, they were the only ones who could make the discount adjustment.  I'll be sure to let everyone know the outcome of this issue.  As I stated before, we got a great deal on this cruise, so I am not terribly upset to not get the discount.  

16 hours ago, Nashna said:

.....As I stated before, we got a great deal on this cruise, so I am not terribly upset to not get the discount.  

If I were you, I would not keep repeating this....!!