Silly Coffee Question

Korbiesmom

On 1/7/2020 at 11:33 PM, familyoutdoors said:

You're bringing powder creamer then? I can't imagine that they allow a bottle of half and half?

I always bring a box of 24 little liquid creamer no matter where i go, 2.58 at walmart. I just dont take a chance.  Actually this s easier than the powder.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, cruizergal70 said:

I just want to defend the free Lido coffee. I like it. It's a basic cup of coffee. I doubt the coffee shop coffee is much better. It all comes down to perception. 

I agree.  The first couple of cups are a shock but by the second day, I'm use to it.  Most coffee drinkers are use to what they drink at home.  A lot depends on the water used.  Folgers or Starbucks or whatever kind you use will taste different at someone else's house than yours.  

I drink the free coffee to save my money for other things to buy since I like to buy the $10 little gifts onboard and going into their gift shops buying little shot glasses for memories haha.

The free coffee is good it isn't burnt it's fresh.

The paid coffee is good too but I just don't like the price when I'm use to my cheap 7-11 or WaWa coffee .

I just want to defend the free Lido coffee. I like it. It's a basic cup of coffee. I doubt the coffee shop coffee is much better. It all comes down to perception. 

Edited by Sagittarius traveler

I think the coffee shop coffee is equally as bad so I’m really in the minority here😂

• Haha 1

I prefer strong black coffee, so I bring my own craft roast and a 32 oz French press - 5 minutes in lido and I have my own fresh brew (I will be sailing Panorama on Mar 14 for anyone who wants to share a cup😀)

I find the Lido and MDR coffee to be fine, just not very strong 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bowman1 said:

I prefer strong black coffee, so I bring my own craft roast and a 32 oz French press - 5 minutes in lido and I have my own fresh brew (I will be sailing Panorama on Mar 14 for anyone who wants to share a cup😀)

I find the Lido and MDR coffee to be fine, just not very strong 

Just back from a week-long trip on the Vista (well, two weeks ago).

I found the Lido coffee to be tolerable, not great.  The deaf was muddy tasting though.

The coffee in the MDR was better, but not great.

If you have a pour-over rig, and room to tote a bag of Seattle's Best Post Alley you will be fine.

The free coffee I've had in the lido or MDR has been ok.  The coffee in the bistro a little better, but being on a budget last cruise I didn't buy any there.  I brought packets of organic instant coffee sticks.  Handy for morning room service coffee - I just asked for hot water (like I was going to make tea).  Their room service coffee is generally hideous.  I liked my coffee better than anything they have on board, even the bistro.   Available on amazon, instacart, etc.  

Mount Hagen Coffee, Organic, Freeze-Dried, Instant, Single Serve Sticks - 25 each

We haven't cruised CCL in awhile but use to purchase something (similar to Princess's "Coffee Card")  for a select # of specialty coffees at a  CCL coffee shop onboard. Included refills of brewed coffee I recall.

Does CCL still have that on most newer ships?

On 3/2/2020 at 2:14 AM, CanWeGoYet? said:

The free coffee I've had in the lido or MDR has been ok.  The coffee in the bistro a little better, but being on a budget last cruise I didn't buy any there.  I brought packets of organic instant coffee sticks.  Handy for morning room service coffee - I just asked for hot water (like I was going to make tea).  Their room service coffee is generally hideous.  I liked my coffee better than anything they have on board, even the bistro.   Available on amazon, instacart, etc.  

Mount Hagen Coffee, Organic, Freeze-Dried, Instant, Single Serve Sticks - 25 each

I use these at my hunting camp. I don’t have running water in my cabin, but I do have power. I can heat up a pot of hot water, dump a stick in my thermos, and pour in. It’s one less thing to clean. 

I guess something else to add to the list. I mentioned bringing my French press and was reminded we are flying, so probably not gonna happen. 

17 minutes ago, wardamnweagle said:

I use these at my hunting camp. I don’t have running water in my cabin, but I do have power. I can heat up a pot of hot water, dump a stick in my thermos, and pour in. It’s one less thing to clean. 

I guess something else to add to the list. I mentioned bringing my French press and was reminded we are flying, so probably not gonna happen. 

It was really handy all around.  In the hotel for the day before the cruise too.  

1 hour ago, wardamnweagle said:

I have flown multiple times with my French Press - never broken one from air travel.  Just make sure it is wrapped in a towel and place it in your carry on

best to pack it in the original box if you still have it

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:05 AM, MCC retired said:

We haven't cruised CCL in awhile but use to purchase something (similar to Princess's "Coffee Card")  for a select # of specialty coffees at a  CCL coffee shop onboard. Included refills of brewed coffee I recall.

Does CCL still have that on most newer ships?

When you purchase a cup of coffee you can get a punchcard that gives you a free cup after 5 or 6, as I recall.

Or you can do the Beverage Package or Cheers.  That will be noted on your S&S and they just scan your card.

10 hours ago, Bowman1 said:

I have flown multiple times with my French Press - never broken one from air travel.  Just make sure it is wrapped in a towel and place it in your carry on

While I agree that a French Press makes excellent coffee if done right, for a cruise ship the clean up is a bit much.  You can dump the grounds into the waste basket in your cabin, assuming you hit the plastic liner.  But rinsing it our or using paper towels/napkins to get all the grounds out is just messy.  You can stand in line at the coffee shack, or grab a couple of cups off the Lido quicker than you can make a cup off the French Press and do the clean up.

On 3/4/2020 at 7:39 AM, crewsweeper said:

While I agree that a French Press makes excellent coffee if done right, for a cruise ship the clean up is a bit much.  You can dump the grounds into the waste basket in your cabin, assuming you hit the plastic liner.  But rinsing it our or using paper towels/napkins to get all the grounds out is just messy.  You can stand in line at the coffee shack, or grab a couple of cups off the Lido quicker than you can make a cup off the French Press and do the clean up.

True - cleanup is a bit of a challenge

I always use my French press in the lido, so I scoop the grounds into a bowl that one of the stewards disposes of

i then wash out the press in my cabin bathroom using dish soap and a scrub sponge that I bring from home - allowing the press to dry on a towel placed on a shelf in the main cabin

I use a French press daily at home, so for me, the time difference on a ship is negligible.

I have also brought a Melitta Pour Over on cruises in the past - much easier to use enship, but only makes one cup at a time.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, Shaded Lady said:

Wow- my last cruise I asked many times for full cream, not half & half, and I couldn't get it! I'm on a keto diet and I'm not supposed to have milk, half & half or dairy creamer- only full cream, so I ended up drinking my coffee black! Even the coffee shop only had half & half.

Where did you manage to get full cream? MDR? Lido? 

We like milk in our coffee. Not cream. At first when ordering from room service always requested cream and sugar with our coffee as it sounded right. They always brought real cream. Are you kidding me. Learned to request milk.

Anyway, last couple of cruises when we requested cream for our coffee from room service, they brought real cream.