Serenade Of The Seas : Junior Suite 1572 : Alaska Cruise

Baggies58

Hi All, greetings from Ireland.

This is my first post (re posted from cruise cabin tips) and we have never been on a cruise before. For our 40th Wedding Anniversary (and wife's  60th) we have booked our first cruise on the Serenade Of The Seas in August 2020 Alaska Cruise from Vancouver. We booked a Junior Suite for the extra room and hopefully views. Our kids told us to book the Junior Suite as they are paying the extra to get the suite.

So, what should we expect ??, did we pick the right cabin or is it not worth the extra money ??. Has anyone stayed in cabin 1572 on the Serenade Of The Seas ??

We have purchased The Key as we would have purchased the Vroom Internet anyway and it was only a few euro extra. What is the general opinion on The Key ?.

We also have my time dining, I take it we can dine anytime as we did not want to have a set time. For this do we book each day for the time we want. Is it difficult to get a table for 2 ?

We know nothing about cruises, so would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Baggies58 said:

What is the general opinion on The Key ?.

We know nothing about cruises, so would appreciate any feedback.

Welcome to CC.

Not worth it unless it's down to about $15 and you really need a two device package.

Invest some time reading threads here.

I'll throw in some opinions.  First, the Key.  I have not used it, but like others said, probably not that big a deal.  You can figure if the extra perks warrant the cost.  Personally, I don't think it will be worth it on Serenade, but might be to you.

As for the Junior Suite, YES... great cabins!  We will no longer cruise in less than a Junior Suite if possible because of the space. Also you will have priority boarding in the "Suite" line if you need it.  That is another Key perk that you don't really need. 

Just one comment though.  Cabin 1572 is below the Windjammer.  You could have some noise from above during the mornings. One of the unfortunate design issues is that on the smaller ships the Suites tend to be on the top Passenger Cabin Deck and that puts them under noisier areas. But from my experience, you'll likely get less noise in your location than you would under the pool deck.  And you may not get any.  Just be aware of the possibility. 

We always pre-book My Time Dining.  You can certainly show up as you wish, but could have a wait for a table for 2.  You can go on the website and book at the times you prefer if you wish, and can always cancel and go at a different time if you want.  We usually eat around the same time anyway, but you can look at show schedules and in port schedules and decide when you will most likely want to eat and book accordingly.  But it's flexible if you change your mind. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just spent 12 days on the Serenade in a JS, cabin 1578. It is directly under the tile area of the windjammer and for 12 straight days we were woken up starting at 3 am by the crew rolling carts over the tile.  In fact it was so bad that they ended up refunding us almost half of our cruise fare in FCCs.  I’m not sure if 1572 may be a little better because it’s a few cabins forward of this area, but definitely be aware there are noise issues with some of the cabins under the Windjammer.  

On a positive note, we love the Serenade. She is one of my favorite ships and we had a great time in spite of the fact that we got little sleep. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 1

Many thanks everyone some very good information there.

For the Key, with exchange rate, we got it for $16.50 so still feel it is worth it for a first time cruise couple.

I have done some research on other posts and came across one for Cabin 1572. This is under the carpet area of the Windjammer entrance and the couple staying in it said the cabin was great with little noise from above. So it looks like our location is good (hopefully lol).

papaflamingo, could you clarify that those who book Junior Suites are allowed priority boarding ? as my understanding is that the Junior Suites did not receive this perk. It would be great if it was, as with The Key, at Vancouver, early priority boarding is not allowed as per the conditions.

At the moment, when I access the Cruise Planner, I can book the likes of shore excursions and other deals like the Key. Would I be correct in saying, as our Cruise is not until August that reservations for dining are not allowed yet but will come on the Planner nearer the time.

Is that the same for shows etc ??, also when do know, what shows are on the cruise.

Sorry for all the question and may I wish you ALL a very Happy New Year from Ireland.

32 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just spent 12 days on the Serenade in a JS, cabin 1578. It is directly under the tile area of the windjammer and for 12 straight days we were woken up starting at 3 am by the crew rolling carts over the tile.  In fact it was so bad that they ended up refunding us almost half of our cruise fare in FCCs.  I’m not sure if 1572 may be a little better because it’s a few cabins forward of this area, but definitely be aware there are noise issues with some of the cabins under the Windjammer.  

On a positive note, we love the Serenade. She is one of my favorite ships and we had a great time in spite of the fact that we got little sleep. 

I would have to look up the specific cabin #, but we had the exact same issue on Jewel a couple years ago in a Jr Suite.  Under that tile area, and the noise from carts was loud and constant at ALL HOURS.  It was truly mind boggling how much noise there was, both very early and late.  Though we weren't looking for it, we too were given some nice FCC's when we mentioned it to the Diamond Consierge.  We'll never again book a room directly under Windjammer on any ship.

2 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

We'll be on Serenade for 21 nights soon.  But not under Windjammer...:classic_tongue:

I always pack earplugs just in case. 

You could have loud neighbors, be near the lift lobby with a herd of elephants waiting for the lift, be near a crew only door....lots of times you could use ear plugs!

They can really make a difference!

I stayed in 1570 on the Serenade last year after staying in 1100 a few years ago.  When we were in 1100 we heard the carts and chairs scraping in the windjammer.  But we strategically chose 1570 for our 16 night because it's under the carpeted portion of the windjammer.

We heard nothing in 1570.  So I'd say 1572 is a good choice from other junior suites because it should also be under the carpeted area.

Many thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Just a quick question on The Cruise Planner. As the Cruise gets closer, can you book dining times and shows on this ?.  If yes, how long before the cruise ?.

Thank you all

6 minutes ago, Baggies58 said:

Many thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Just a quick question on The Cruise Planner. As the Cruise gets closer, can you book dining times and shows on this ?.  If yes, how long before the cruise ?.

Thank you all

Hi. You will love cruising. Happy 40th anniversary!  Serenade is one of our favorite ships.  You will enjoy everything she has to offer.  I was on her last january for 23 days. And will be back this january for 4th time on her.

If you see your cruise price goes on sale you can call rccl and do a reprice.

I do mock pricing every week on my cruises and have repriced several over the years.

You can also book your excursions. Internet  the key. Whatever you want on cruise planner now and if any of those go on sale you can cancel them and rebook excursions etc on cruise planner.

The cruise I have scheduled for august is showing dining options now so your schedule should show up soon.

No need to book shows online with serenade.  That usually applies to the larger ships.

You may want to try 3 night dining package for speciality restaurants.  They are all good on the serenade.

You will have an awesome trip!

Happy New Year!

Many thanks again to you all for your help on our first cruise.

If I may, can I ask another question re My Time Dining. This is now showing on our Cruise Planner. As our first night on board is actually our 40th Wedding Anniversary, I have booked it for 7pm. My question is, are you allowed to pick your table also ie a table for 2 ? It did not give me that option.

Secondly, if we want a table for 2, are we just allocated any table for 2 that may be available ??.

For those that have been on the Serenade Of The Seas, can they point us in the right direction for a good table  selection ?

Is there a Main Dining Room layout that we could download or look at ??.

We will probably board the ship early, should we see anyone regarding where we could sit each night or is that a no no ??

Thank you all in advance.

22 hours ago, steph70288 said:

I stayed in 1570 on the Serenade last year after staying in 1100 a few years ago.  When we were in 1100 we heard the carts and chairs scraping in the windjammer.  But we strategically chose 1570 for our 16 night because it's under the carpeted portion of the windjammer.

We heard nothing in 1570.  So I'd say 1572 is a good choice from other junior suites because it should also be under the carpeted area.

We took 1100 for our Jun '21 cruse- but have been in 1104 before.

But for an Alaskan cruise, having that massive balcony is a HUGE bonus.  We had the same wrap around balcony location on the Rhapsody, and loved it- especially on the day we were sailing up and down a fjord.  Hang out there all day long with massive and wide views of everything.

15 minutes ago, Baggies58 said:

Many thanks again to you all for your help on our first cruise.

If I may, can I ask another question re My Time Dining. This is now showing on our Cruise Planner. As our first night on board is actually our 40th Wedding Anniversary, I have booked it for 7pm. My question is, are you allowed to pick your table also ie a table for 2 ? It did not give me that option.

Secondly, if we want a table for 2, are we just allocated any table for 2 that may be available ??.

The advantage of My Time Dining (MTD) is you can show up at what time you like. You can be seated with others if you like or request a table for two when you arrive. Being in a JS you might have a separate priority line for suite guests.