Why do suites have pianos in them?

tkline

OK, not all suites, but the really expensive ones.. on the photos on the Celebrity website there's pictures of a piano in the living room area.. why? I mean, do people just suddenly feel like playing the piano? Or can you call down to the front desk and ask for a piano man to come up to the room and sing for you? Just seems like a waste of space to me, why not have a nice super comfy recliner or 2 in it's place?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tkline said:

OK, not all suites, but the really expensive ones.. on the photos on the Celebrity website there's pictures of a piano in the living room area.. why? I mean, do people just suddenly feel like playing the piano? Or can you call down to the front desk and ask for a piano man to come up to the room and sing for you? Just seems like a waste of space to me, why not have a nice super comfy recliner or 2 in it's place?

The baby grand pianos found in penthouse suites? They are digital player pianos (you can also play them yourself). Nice touch for music lovers.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tkline said:

They're something nice to put a drink on or hold articles of clothing! 

Those of us traveling in Penthouses need somewhere to place our box of chocolates..

Seriously, we have cruised in a couple of PH suites and usually enjoy the novelty of auto playing it once or twice...When we were on Summit this feature didn’t work. The M class PH suites are loosing their pianos. I believe the Equinox partly refurbished PH kept the piano. We are on Silhouette post Revolution and really don’t care if the piano stays or goes...I just hope that if it does go they replace it with a nice sea facing second lounge area rather than a stylish but uncomfortable ‘stage set’...The S class PH is simply a decadence of light and space...I guess the piano fits in with that.

7 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The Equinox did keep the piano. I like the idea of as ocean facing recliner or 2 to fill the space.

I do wish the designers would ask the ‘regulars’ what they want...It could really be a nice and very comfortable seating area. A couple of really nice recliner chairs, a round table at an appropriate height for the chairs....

My worry is they could fill it with two stiff wire chairs, a ridiculously heavy and odd shaped table, half a dozen cushions and several cacti....We definitely fancy trying Edge/Apex sometime soon for the ship experience but we are not overwhelmed by either the RS or PH furnishings (or the price!)... 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, farawayatsea said:

I think snob value mainly.  Like people would have a baby grand in their house but never play it. I guess in the suite it's useful for putting drinks down on at a cocktail party.

Wow - you guys are a group of tough customers! I love classical music and can assure you that I am definitely no snob. I enjoy playing my baby grand & would have a heart attack if a visitor was so rude as to park a cocktail on my piano.  

image1.jpeg

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Wow - you guys are a group of tough customers! I love classical music and can assure you that I am definitely no snob. I enjoy playing my baby grand & would have a heart attack if a visitor was so rude as to park a cocktail on my piano.  

image1.jpeg

Beautiful piano and great that you are a musician. I'm a musician myself and it just annoys me to beautiful instruments used as pieces of furniture (status symbols) and not played.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Islandatty said:

So can someone who has stayed in a suite with the baby grand tell me if you can play it?  Or is it auto-play only?  I always thought it would be the ultimate splurge to stay in one so my husband could play it.  No dice?

Yes, you can also play the piano.

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, you can also play the piano.

So can someone who has stayed in a suite with the baby grand tell me if you can play it?  Or is it auto-play only?  I always thought it would be the ultimate splurge to stay in one so my husband could play it.  No dice?

I hope you can't hear it in the surrounding cabins?, next door, under, over, wherever.  Not that I don't enjoy piano music now & then, but only when want to hear it, not coming through the walls or ceiling when I don't want to hear it!

Love your piano and your selection of music.  I only have an upright but I don't play it that often since I took up the harp.

I love classical music also and I'm disappointed that they don't have more musicians performing at the evening shows.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1