Edge: Help me decide between AQ and CC

CarolinaMamma

Thinking about booking 2 side-by-side cabins on Edge for our family (Us plus 2 teens) and trying to decide between connecting CC cabins in a less desirable location or non-connecting  AQ or CC cabins in a more desirable location.

Do the connecting infinite verandah cabins just connect via a single doorway? I’m guessing since the balconies aren’t truly balconies, there’s no way to make one large balcony like you can do on some other ships,  

How “worth it” Is Blu? I’ve never sailed AQ, but we are foodies and do like to eat low-carb and fairly clean at home, and we like good wine. I’m wondering if the food is that much better than the MDR, and if they’d be better able to handle our special dietary requests, since we’d be eating there nearly every night .

This is a strange one, but are there any non-hot areas in the thermal suite? I have MS and my neurologist advises me not to get in a hot tub, sauna or anything that is going to raise my core body temperature by much, lest I not be able to get out. I can do “therapy pools” that are slightly warmer than a regular swimming pool, but a hot tub is too hot. Since the thermal suite is adults-only, it may be a waste to pay for AQ if my husband is the only one of the four of us who will use it. 

The price difference between CC and AQ is approximately $220 pp for the 7-night Cruise, give or take a little depending on which level CC we are talking about. 

20 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Thinking about booking 2 side-by-side cabins on Edge for our family (Us plus 2 teens) and trying to decide between connecting CC cabins in a less desirable location or non-connecting  AQ or CC cabins in a more desirable location.

Do the connecting infinite verandah cabins just connect via a single doorway? I’m guessing since the balconies aren’t truly balconies, there’s no way to make one large balcony like you can do on some other ships,  

How “worth it” Is Blu? I’ve never sailed AQ, but we are foodies and do like to eat low-carb and fairly clean at home, and we like good wine. I’m wondering if the food is that much better than the MDR, and if they’d be better able to handle our special dietary requests, since we’d be eating there nearly every night .

This is a strange one, but are there any non-hot areas in the thermal suite? I have MS and my neurologist advises me not to get in a hot tub, sauna or anything that is going to raise my core body temperature by much, lest I not be able to get out. I can do “therapy pools” that are slightly warmer than a regular swimming pool, but a hot tub is too hot. Since the thermal suite is adults-only, it may be a waste to pay for AQ if my husband is the only one of the four of us who will use it. 

The price difference between CC and AQ is approximately $220 pp for the 7-night Cruise, give or take a little depending on which level CC we are talking about. 

I don't know anything about the Edge, but we were on the Eclipse in AQ and loved Blu.  We'd definitely do it again.  It's definitely a low carb, small portions, restaurant though I never went away hungry.  Unless you request otherwise, salads have sparse dressing IMHO.  The service was incredible!  Most tables are for 2, but if you go with others, they'll seat you next to each other.  There are 5" or so between tables.  The nice thing about tables for 2 is that there is no delay in ordering or receiving food and drink.  DH likes his Carmenere, and we had a drink package, and the sommelier always had it ready for him.  I like to try different wines, and he'd suggest wines for me.  We found out on the 2nd to last day of a 16 day cruise that we could request salted butter for bread.  It's just as well as we didn't need the bread or crackers.  Instead there were purees of carrot, squash, beets.  We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table, and there's no fixed time.  We preferred the buffet for breakfast, more selection and faster. Blu doesn't do lunch.  Even with a premium drink package I didn't gain weight on a 16 day cruise!  There's such a small group of people that can go to Blu that we kept meeting some of the same people.  It was awesome!  

We only did AQ once.  It was Easter week and we thought that it would be a good way to avoid lots of kids.  Turned out there were less than 30 on board, no problem, they were also well behaved.

Also turned out we didn't like Blu.  I know we are in the minority and most people do.

(The shower in AQ was very nice.😀).

I guess we have gone with Concierge the most.  Most people also don't like CC vs. AQ, but we do..... 

On Edge your question is hard to answer.  Every other ship I’d recommend AQ and Blu but with the 4 MDRs on Edge and all the great reviews about them I don’t think you can wrong with either.  Having said that we have sailed AQ on the Edge and will be back on again in April in an AQ.

We have done AQ Class on EDGE as well as a Sunset Veranda..with 4 mdr plan

We have done many cruises in AQ class  but found the location of BLU on EDGE not the best.  There  is no decent ocean view,   and you have to walk through the  dark Avalon forest or go up a circular staircase to get there.  The food and service  for breakfast and dinner were excellent.. but the kitchen was slow at times and not the best acoustics.  

The Thermal suite was amazing but other than the salt room and relaxation rm..all is warm or hot.

By Contrast, we found that  in EDGE M Select dining and pre booking  the  4 mdrs  worked great for us. We did not miss BLU, thermal suites   or AQ class perks..

It's up to you ...food not quite as  healthy but  we  had many great choices!

5 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

You are correct.....the infinite verandah cabins connect via a single doorway inside the cabin and there is no way to make one large balcony like on the S class and M class ships.  Even leaning out as far as you can on the IV, you cannot see onto the "balcony" next door, only talk to each other.  It is much more private than a standard balcony.

i havent done AQ on Edge but i did CC.

CC is NOT worth the price!

you get canopies in the afternoon and some concierge only events.

i never used the concierge. i did not find any reason to. i could do everything on my own.

plus the 4 MDRs on the Edge were great! each mdr has specialty dishes.

Edited by fstuff1

Agree, CC not worth it.  Might as well go for 2 IVs next door to each  other...

The middle Sunset Verandas are large cabins and  have large  outside balconies that can open to one another...but  it is a very very long walk to the elevators,,

For any ship other than Edge, I would definitely go with AQ.  I have read very good reviews of the four main dining rooms on the Edge so if it were us we would most likely go with two Infinite Veranda’s and use the cost difference to try several of the Specialty restaurants (which most likely will be better than Blu).