Edge Departure Time From Port Everglades

ackieboy

i have sailed with Celebrity many times.  I have a friend who is going on The Edge on 1/26/20 and she said that the information that she has says the ship departs 3 or 3:30pm.  Two questions.  First what is the best time to arrive at the port on embarkation day?  Second, does the the ship really depart that early?  I know from previous experience (not on the Edge, but on various M and S class ships, departure time is usually about 4:30p or 5p.  Any information you could provide would be most helpful so that I can advise my friend.  Happy New Year everyone!

Not sure what information you can get here on Cruise Critic re: departure time that would be helpful. If the paperwork says 3:30, passengers need to plan like that time is accurate for purposes of arrival at the port...eg. not later than one hour before scheduled departure time or passenger could be denied boarding regardless of when the ship actually leaves.  From our experience in November, the Edge was scheduled to leave at 3:30 and we were out of the port about 4 p.m. We arrived at Port Everglades about noon and found the embarkation process super fast.

1 hour ago, ackieboy said:

i have sailed with Celebrity many times.  I have a friend who is going on The Edge on 1/26/20 and she said that the information that she has says the ship departs 3 or 3:30pm.  Two questions.  First what is the best time to arrive at the port on embarkation day?  Second, does the the ship really depart that early?  I know from previous experience (not on the Edge, but on various M and S class ships, departure time is usually about 4:30p or 5p.  Any information you could provide would be most helpful so that I can advise my friend.  Happy New Year everyone!

All of the Edge itineraries this winter show a 3:30 departure time. From what I have seen on the webcam, if Edge is the first one out they do leave very close to 3:30.

Our 12/1 sailing on Edge departed Ft. Lauderdale on time...3:30pm.  We were the first ship to leave the port.  As far as arrival at the terminal, we arrived about 10:30am...the check-in process was quick, but we were not in any stateroom category that gets any sort of priority boarding.  In fact, I had to track down one of the women that was trying to help get passengers onboard.  The sound system in the terminal is weak...meaning, we couldn't hear anything that was being said so most people were just all trying to board at once rather than by category.  There was quite a logjam of bodies...understandable as we were all anxious to begin our adventure!!!  So it was closer to 11:15 before we were actually on the ship.

17 hours ago, mafig said:

that's nice to see sail away.  not so nice if you're in the middle of muster drill.

The ship will not leave before the drill is over. Normally the drill is 45 minutes before departure.

• Like 1

I usually watch the FLL departures on the weekend and the Edge is almost always the first ship to leave.  Usually right around that 3:30 mark or shortly thereafter, so I would believe what they tell you as far as the sailing time.

We are on that sailing, and yes, it is scheduled to depart at 3:30. When he/she checks in online (or on her phone) it gives you an arrival time. Our Xpress Pass says to arrive at 11:30-12:00 for instance.

Edited by IBookHePays