New Year’s Cruise Questions?

Hi

We started talking today about next New Year’s Eve and my husband said “What about a cruise for New Year’s next year?”

We have never cruised during a holiday period.   

What special events happen for New Year’s Eve on a ship?

Are there special rules around booking?

Is it worth cruising New Year’s?  I don’t mean financially, I know it will cost more than other times of year; but is it that much more fun than a cruise during a non holiday time?

I’m assuming it will also be a lot more crowded

We would probably look at Anthem as it leaves from Bayonne NJ and is easy for us to get to.

I’ll look for reviews that cover New Year’s to do some research but figured I’d put the question out there

Thank you in advance

Noreen

11 minutes ago, Noreen411 said:

I’m assuming it will also be a lot more crowded ...

The ships virtually always sail full, though there will likely be a higher percentage of children aboard during the holiday period.

They usually have a formal night on New Year's Eve.

27 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The ships virtually always sail full, though there will likely be a higher percentage of children aboard during the holiday period.

They usually have a formal night on New Year's Eve.

Thank you

I would love to cruise the anthem at NYE but our last cruise in May had too many kids.  Our previous cruise on anthem was a Canada/New England cruise with minimal kids and  gave us many hours enjoyed in the covered pool bar area. 

Our family of 4 adults cruised for many years in a row for New Years on either Royal or Celebrity. We had to stop when the adult children had too many time conflicts with jobs., But  I sure do miss it. Cruising on New Years is a lot of fun and a festive, safe way to spend NYE.

I do not remember a lot of children on board. Remember that most go back to school on Jan 2.

Christmas week would be more crowded with little ones.

• Like 1

One thing we didn’t like on Royal was they reserved many seats in venues or Promenade for extra fee champagne packages. Pool area and some of the promenade were free options. You already pay a premium for a NYE voyage so thought it was just gouging people. Neither one of us likes champagne so we didn’t see the need to buy one of the “limited” packages. We had a good laugh when we walked into 270 on the Anthem and one of the waiters said to sit anywhere if you didn’t reserve space and all we saw were reserved signs everywhere.

Would recommend you buy a package if there is a venues theme that you really like so you don’t miss out. We had previously been on NYE sailings with Carnival and NCL and all venues were first come first served so we didn’t expect many seats would be sold in venues. The amount they sold seemed to be limited to what they can sell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, omarchs said:

One thing we didn’t like on Royal was they reserved many seats in venues or Promenade for extra fee champagne packages. Pool area and some of the promenade were free options. You already pay a premium for a NYE voyage so thought it was just gouging people. Neither one of us likes champagne so we didn’t see the need to buy one of the “limited” packages. We had a good laugh when we walked into 270 on the Anthem and one of the waiters said to sit anywhere if you didn’t reserve space and all we saw were reserved signs everywhere.

Would recommend you buy a package if there is a venues theme that you really like so you don’t miss out. We had previously been on NYE sailings with Carnival and NCL and all venues were first come first served so we didn’t expect many seats would be sold in venues. The amount they sold seemed to be limited to what they can sell.

What was the rate for the champagne packages?  Did it just include a bottle of champagne and a seat or two seats?

12 hours ago, maggieq said:

I would love to cruise the anthem at NYE but our last cruise in May had too many kids.  Our previous cruise on anthem was a Canada/New England cruise with minimal kids and  gave us many hours enjoyed in the covered pool bar area. 

Hi

I worry about that also.  We try to cruise when school is in so there are less kids.

We were on Anthem in June and there were more kids but we don’t necessarily hang out where the kids are so were pleasantly surprised that we weren’t impacted.

11 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Our family of 4 adults cruised for many years in a row for New Years on either Royal or Celebrity. We had to stop when the adult children had too many time conflicts with jobs., But  I sure do miss it. Cruising on New Years is a lot of fun and a festive, safe way to spend NYE.

I do not remember a lot of children on board. Remember that most go back to school on Jan 2.

Christmas week would be more crowded with little ones.

Thank you.

Good point about when kids return to school.

Next year with Christmas falling on a Friday there is more distinction between the Christmas vs New Years week.  Or maybe that’s just my way of looking at it.

I agree with the safe factor and not having to worry about crazy drunk people on the road

Noreen

10 hours ago, omarchs said:

That is kind of disappointing to hear.

I was assuming something like SuperBowl which we have been on Anthem for with different parties in different venues.  I don’t remember an extra charge for them

thank you for the info

When we went to an all inclusive upscale resort in Cancun during New Years, they also charged a significant charge for a special dinner and a show on New Years eve.  Didn't like it of course, but it also applies to cruise ships.  Didn't pay additional on Celebrity for a NY eve cruise on the Edge- perhaps now only Royal- for now!

We always bought the beverage package, so no need to buy the special champagne package on NYE. We, too, are not champagne people, but if we wanted a glass of champagne, we just ordered one from a bar. Also, remember you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per person onboard. ( of course, could not bring that to your dinner if that is what you would be looking for.)

And, never bothered to reserve a space on the Promenade. Truthfully, it does become a very crowded and noisy space. Not a place I wanted to be. 
All of the bars on board and the Viking Crown (does it still exist?) had countdowns at midnight. Can also watch the countdown from one of the balconies above the Promenade.

7 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

All of the bars on board and the Viking Crown (does it still exist?)  ...

Does not exist on Quantum class ships.  Access is limited on Oasis class ships.

In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing better then a NYE cruise and no better way to do NYE. We have been on 3. 1990-91, 2015-16 and last NYE 2018-19.  Sovereign Of the Seas, Independence and last year Anthem. Our favorite so far was Independence hands down! Anthem was fun too but definitely loved the Royal Promenade much more on Indy.

Edited by Moltar

23 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Radiance of the seas NYE was formal ,ship full , balloon drop Centrum also deck party . BBQ for lunch .🙂

Same for Enchantment, but not sure about BBQ.  Schooner bar gave out free champagne at midnite.

Some tables in centrum could be reserved for $300+.

Edited by shellunderwater