3 adults in Inside Stateroom - beds?

cpjenks2001

Attempting to book my first cruise. We originally were planning on 4 adults (2 per room), but 4th backed out. Really can't justify the added expense of 1 person paying for a private stateroom. So we are considering 3 adults in 1 room. All floor plans I can find (for inside staterooms) only show 1 queen. No sofa, no fold-downs from the wall/ceiling. Where does the 3rd person sleep?

If they fold down or drop down from the ceiling, are they regular mattresses? Or very thin like an RV bunk? Thanks!

Pam

It would help if you could tell us what ship you are considering.  In an inside the bunk will be on the wall or ceiling depending on the ship.  They never show that on deckplan schematics, but there will be a symbol of some sort indicating that one is there and what type.  EM

27 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

It would help if you could tell us what ship you are considering.  In an inside the bunk will be on the wall or ceiling depending on the ship.  They never show that on deckplan schematics, but there will be a symbol of some sort indicating that one is there and what type.  EM

It would be either Regal Princess or Sky Princess.

Not too concerned with room being crowded. We've all shared hotel rooms before and can work out a shower schedule that meets our needs. Other than sleeping & getting dressed, we don't plan to spend too much time in the room.

Our biggest concern is the mattress quality. I know a convertible sofa mattress is going to be uncomfortable. But if the ceiling/wall type beds are regular mattresses, we're hoping that those might be better than sofa.

Pam

All floor plans I can find (for inside staterooms) only show 1 queen. No sofa, no fold-downs from the wall/ceiling. Where does the 3rd person sleep?

One of the first options that pops up in the booking menu is 1, 2, 3, 4.  Did you click on 3 to see which interior cabins show up?  You need a book a cabin that allows 3 passengers.  Interior cabins are very small.  They do not have a sofa nor will a roll away fit.  Most of Princesses slips have beds that fold down from the side wall.  

The "regular" bed will be split into two twins.  One bunk bed will be over one of the twins.  The other twin will be up against the opposite wall....and that passenger will have to deal with this protrusion.  

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/interior-cabin-229675/interior-cabin--v11311356/

• Like 3

The OP mentioned excessive cost for a single in a second Inside.  How about considering a Mini that holds three?  If it has a drop-down bed from ceiling or order a cot, it might make it a better experience.  I imagine budget is a concern.

Yes, budget is a concern. I understand how it might not be an ideal choice for other travelers, but this is a choice we are considering due to budget. 

My biggest concern is the mattress in a drop-down (or wall fold-out bed). Is it a standard mattress? Or super thin like an RV bunk bed?

thanks!

• Like 1

Since the OP definitely stated that they were not worried about being crowded, and indeed specified that they had shared rooms before with no problem,  why do members insist on telling them they could not handle the crowding, or let them know that their days of putting three in an inside were over long ago?    The OP wants only to know about the mattress situation, not everyone else's room preference.  If memory serves me correctly, the mattress on the drop down beds were quite comfortable.  

Edited by stoneharborlady
  • Like 13

9 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

Since the OP definitely stated that they were not worried about being crowded, and indeed specified that they had shared rooms before with no problem,  why do members insist on telling them they could not handle the crowding, or let them know that their days of putting three in an inside were over long ago?    The OP wants only to know about the mattress situation, not everyone else's room preference.  If memory serves me correctly, the mattress on the drop down beds were quite comfortable.  

We have not slept in one, but were assigned such a room once when we had an IA GTY.  The mattress is probably similar to a cot mattress and would be waaaaay better than a sofa "mattress".  

18 minutes ago, cpjenks2001 said:

My biggest concern is the mattress in a drop-down (or wall fold-out bed). Is it a standard mattress? Or super thin like an RV bunk bed?

Princess reps have the info by ships and cabin types as to whether extra bunks are in the ceiling or hanging on the wall.  It varies.

2 hours ago, cpjenks2001 said:

It would be either Regal Princess or Sky Princess.

Not too concerned with room being crowded. We've all shared hotel rooms before and can work out a shower schedule that meets our needs. Other than sleeping & getting dressed, we don't plan to spend too much time in the room.

Our biggest concern is the mattress quality. I know a convertible sofa mattress is going to be uncomfortable. But if the ceiling/wall type beds are regular mattresses, we're hoping that those might be better than sofa.

Pam

You can also shower at the spa. I did that last year and then would just get ready there or in my room. 

31 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

Thank you. I appreciate the information!

Pam

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I do not see how clothing for 3 adults will fit. I go as a single and having 2 would crowd the closet. There are a few shelves and drawers but most of the clothes will have to remain in the suitcases under the bed.

We have done it, twice.  The clothing for three adults WILL fit.

• Like 1

Currently on the Sky and have done the Regal. The bunkbed and sofa bed mattresses are extremely comfortable. I hope the poster get some real and legitimate answers to the question rather than judgements about what others  themselves would or would not do. 

• Like 3

Just now, AbbyGirl said:

You can also shower at the spa. I did that last year and then would just get ready there or in my room. 

LOL as I’m using the Enclave as we speak and will get ready for formal night down to my makeup in the shower/changeroom down here. Showers are huuuuge and the two makeup desks come with hair dryers. 

17 minutes ago, h-sar said:

Currently on the Sky and have done the Regal. The bunkbed and sofa bed mattresses are extremely comfortable. I hope the poster get some real and legitimate answers to the question rather than judgements about what others  themselves would or would not do. 

Me too.

I was told the 3rd & 4th bed drop down from the ceiling on Royal class. I know they jut out from the wall on (most) Grand class.

I concur re: storage. I don't use a 1/3rd even when taking a grandkid with me

2 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

We have done it, twice.  The clothing for three adults WILL fit.

Edited by Ombud

20 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I was told the 3rd & 4th bed drop down from the ceiling on Royal class. I know they jut out from the wall on (most) Grand class.

The photo I attached is from the Royal Princess.  This photo shows bunk beds attached to the walls and fold down.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/interior-cabin-229675/interior-cabin--v11311356/

We've done 3 adults in an interior cabin on Golden Princess before, it was a bit crowded (par for the course in an interior) but doable.  The biggest issue we ran into was getting ready for formal nights since everyone needed space to get ready. 

More than enough room bit then I travel with a carryon.... Beds are more than suffice. 3 should be no problem. We spend little time in the cabin. We have a much larger master suite at home if we want to spend time in our room. The only issue for us is keeping the desk cleared for room service breakfast/morning coffee.....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The photo I attached is from the Royal Princess.  This photo shows bunk beds attached to the walls and fold down.

Oh snap!

I booked E626 on the Majestic and was assured by 1-800-Princess that it dropped down from the ceiling!  Haven't booked a 3 person in years but it was the last one in that category. At least I won't be disappointed when getting on now 

We've had no problem with 3 or 4 in an inside.  Maybe it's because I was raised with 8 siblings and a single bathroom that was also the laundry room. 

You get by, make allowances and enjoy the cruise. 

Such a small inconvenience for the pleasure of a cruise.  

• Like 3

We've had no problem with 3 or 4 in an inside.  Maybe it's because I was raised with 8 siblings and a single bathroom that was also the laundry room. 

You get by, make allowances and enjoy the cruise. 

Such a small inconvenience for the pleasure of a cruise.  

OP,  do whatever you need to, to make sure you can go on a cruise!

Edited by justafem
  • Like 1