Walking to the port in Charleston?

sjmbruce

14 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

The day of embarkation, my husband and I will return our rental car at a location about a mile from the port. Can we simply walk? If not, what are our other options?

I have been to Charleston many times but haven't sailed from there-- that being said I know the area where the cruise ships dock and the city well. Without knowing exactly where you are dropping off your rental car I would say in general you would most likely be able to walk. Unlike a lot of other ports, Charleston's is near residential and tourist areas and it would be quite safe. If you didn't want to schlep a mile on foot you could also just take an Uber. 

19 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I have been to Charleston many times but haven't sailed from there-- that being said I know the area where the cruise ships dock and the city well. Without knowing exactly where you are dropping off your rental car I would say in general you would most likely be able to walk. Unlike a lot of other ports, Charleston's is near residential and tourist areas and it would be quite safe. If you didn't want to schlep a mile on foot you could also just take an Uber. 

This.  Ubers are plentiful in the tourist/downtown area, and won't cost much.  I'll give you another reason- while the area is generally safe, and for the sake of argument we'll assume the weather will be ok, the sidewalks are narrow, and as you get closer to the port, the sidewalks will be crowded.  If two of you are wheeling your own suitcases, you and the bags you're schlepping will be in everyone's way, even if you walk one in front of the other rather than two abreast.  As a favor to your legs and a courtesy to others, please take an uber/lyft from the rental drop-off to the port.  Plus you won't have to worry about rain that way.  🙂

• 1 month later...

I'd say drop your luggage off with the porters and then take the car back.  A one mile walk with a carryon or backpack is a lot easier than pulling luggage.  Charleston is beautiful, very walkable and a mile isn't that far.

• Like 1