Drink Package Confusion

Peardrop

Good morning, I wonder if anyone can help clarify? I have just spoken to a P&O agent regarding linking our dining with friends, and whilst on the line we chatted about drinks packages...he told me that the package only becomes valid on day 2 and on the first day all drinks must be purchased normally?? This doesn’t seem to make sense to me but he was very confident in this, however I have just looked up the terms and conditions and it states that the package is valid every day except the day of disembarking, which is what I would expect. Can anyone clarify? We are sailing from Southampton in May. 

Many thanks 

Passengers were definitely buying the drinks package on day 1 of our New Year cruise, there were very large queues.

It has to be purchased before the end of day 2, perhaps that is where the confusion lies. 

Due to sometimes late boarding, I think many passengers will wait until day 2 before buying it as you would probably need to buy 8/9 pints or glasses of wine each to get your moneys worth. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy, the info didn’t seem correct because why would you pay for 7 days and only be able to use it for 6?? He said it could be purchased straight away, but not used until day 2, but I think there must have been a misunderstanding...at least I hope so!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peardrop said:

Thanks Andy, the info didn’t seem correct because why would you pay for 7 days and only be able to use it for 6?? He said it could be purchased straight away, but not used until day 2, but I think there must have been a misunderstanding...at least I hope so!

I believe you only pay per day, so on a one week cruise, booking on day 1 you would pay for 7 days, booking on day 2 you would only pay for 6 days.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe you only pay per day, so on a one week cruise, booking on day 1 you would pay for 7 days, booking on day 2 you would only pay for 6 days.

Yes indeed my point exactly...I was told on the phone that we could purchase the package and it would be based on 7 nights, however we couldn’t start using it until day 2, thereby making it only valid for 6 days. I’ve come to the conclusion that there has been a misunderstanding or perhaps there is a training need, as I double checked what the adviser was telling me, however I don’t think it can be correct. I’m hoping that you can purchase the package once onboard and it becomes immediately valid, as it does on other lines. He kept repeating that it couldn’t be used on the day of embarkation....I can only assume he meant the day of DIS-embarkation, which would make much more sense!

No that is wrong advice from P&O, not unusual. You can purchase on day 1 embarkation day or day 2 and pay the euivalent number of day 7 or 6 if it was a 7 nt cruise. Like Andy says if you purchase drinks package on the day you embark you are paying £39-95pp perhaps at best for only half a day so if I was to purchase a drinks package, highly unlikely, I would wait for day 2 of the cruise.

• Like 1

Thanks all, the clarification is much appreciated! We have purchased drinks packages many times on Royal Caribbean so we know they represent decent value for us, particularly as I enjoy the coffees etc as well as pre dinner cocktails! Thanks again for the info. 

7 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

If you haven't been on a P&O ship before, it might be wise to check the prices of drinks before you buy a package.  You have to consume a great deal to make it worthwhile.

I have checked the latest prices and at £5.60 per G&T and £6.35 per cocktail and £5.65 per glass of wine, it won’t take much to get to £39.95 per day when you consider that cost includes soft drinks, bottles of water and speciality coffees. 

2 G&Ts before dinner = £11.20 (remembering P&O measures are UK single 25ml not USA nearly double U.K. measures), 1 cocktail £6.35 (during the day or after dinner), 3 glasses of wine = £16.95, that’s £34.50 before I’d add a bottle of water, 2 coffees and a soft drink during the day. No brainer for me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

I have checked the latest prices and at £5.60 per G&T and £6.35 per cocktail and £5.65 per glass of wine, it won’t take much to get to £39.95 per day when you consider that cost includes soft drinks, bottles of water and speciality coffees. 

2 G&Ts before dinner = £11.20 (remembering P&O measures are UK single 25ml not USA nearly double U.K. measures), 1 cocktail £6.35 (during the day or after dinner), 3 glasses of wine = £16.95, that’s £34.50 before I’d add a bottle of water, 2 coffees and a soft drink during the day. No brainer for me. 

We thought we drank loads (for us) at New Year and still only spent £65 per day for the 2 of us. 

It obviously works for many, but not for all. 

Andy 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

So take it you are a solo cruiser ?

Two people in a cabin. Both have to purchase.

Start doubling up.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Exactly!  I think people forget it;s £80 a day unless you are a solo.

I don't see the difference? 

Michelle and I would drink similar amounts, so if one of us managed to spend £40, the other probably would too. 

Not that we can get anywhere near to making it worthwhile as we are a pair of lightweights... 

Andy 

• Like 2

Wouldnt be beneficial for us and I doubt as some think that you would drink 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner because of the availability of wine waiter. We have ordered bottles of wine in the past and not received it until we have nearly finished the main course. We have on occasions when it was finally bought to our table and before opened when wine waiter shows you the label we refused it and said it is too late now dont want to drink wine with dessert.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GaznPaula said:

So take it you are a solo cruiser ?

Two people in a cabin. Both have to purchase.

Start doubling up.

No, not a solo cruiser but I’m giving an example what I would drink and the resulting cost. We know both have to purchase. Do you find my example of my consumption unrealistic?

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Wouldnt be beneficial for us and I doubt as some think that you would drink 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner because of the availability of wine waiter. We have ordered bottles of wine in the past and not received it until we have nearly finished the main course. We have on occasions when it was finally bought to our table and before opened when wine waiter shows you the label we refused it and said it is too late now dont want to drink wine with dessert.

From your comment and other reports I’ve read, it does appear wine service is subpar in the MDR. If we can’t get at least 2 glasses of wine served during dinner, that will be a major issue and then my example of another glass will probably after dinner. However, if wine service is bad during dinner, I have no problem going to the nearest bar and getting another myself which I have to admit I had to do on another cruise as service was definitely subpar. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

No, not a solo cruiser but I’m giving an example what I would drink and the resulting cost. We know both have to purchase. Do you find my example of my consumption unrealistic?

No i just think you are missing the point .

Its a total cabin cost of £80 a day.

So can YOUR cabin consume £80 of booze a day over a 6 or 7 or 13 or 14 night period ?

15 minutes ago, GaznPaula said:

No i just think you are missing the point .

Its a total cabin cost of £80 a day.

So can YOUR cabin consume £80 of booze a day over a 6 or 7 or 13 or 14 night period ?

I am sure peteukmcr is not missing the point he is not a solo cruiser so obviously he knows as he said that the cost would be £39-95pppd so as long as he and whoever he is cruising with can get the benefit at that price then it would be cost effective. Some it will be good value others not it all depends how much and what you drink.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2