Radiant New Zealand

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Thanks for that it’s the door width that is the problem, plenty of room to store the chair, just getting it in the cabin, the door probably needs all of 2 inches.

I had a quick look at these on disembarkation day a few years ago, they are a great layout and much larger than the inside we had. Bugger the door isn't wider!!

A small complaint.

I so wish ship designers would spend a while in a wheelchair, on Radiance I have noticed the following

1. Narrow corridors with right angle turns that ou with cannot get around or only with great difficulties

2. Lifts you cannot turn a wheelchair around it, but at least they haven’t put stairs directly opposite the lift door, in the past I have seen someone back out of the lift, go half an inch too far and down the stairs backwards with their scooter.

3. Constant pumps in the floor, I understand the fire walls and joins, but in one spot, near the Pool tables (I wanted to check out the gyro scope system and it is impressive) there are about four or five inserts in an otherwise smooth floor, decorative in nature but with a brass edge around it, so each insert means crossing these little bumps twice, each little bump jars the whole body, for most not noticeable for some absolute agony.

4 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

I had a quick look at these on disembarkation day a few years ago, they are a great layout and much larger than the inside we had. Bugger the door isn't wider!!

Yep and what is even worse there is plenty of room even in this cabin for the door to be a little wider, I the door in this cabin had gone almost all the way to the wardrobe. Would have been fine, though I accept some later charges wouldn’t have.

But our Steward has been great, I think Mrs G had lifted the chair into or out of the cabin by herself once, he comes running to help her

D355C5DD-687D-4C05-B177-F8FD4675C684.jpeg

I sometimes have wondered if this is Royal Caribbean’s first ever cruise, Muster Drill was a prime Example, our Station was X04, OK X was easy to find, no indication anywhere of what 04 meant, asked crew where we needed to go, got sent to the wrong place as did many others, only after about 90% of people were there did they bring out paddles with the numbers on.

Then they marked your attendance with pen and paper, “your room number please?” “and your names”. Then as a few had arrived early had to go through the whole area checking again to ensure that everyone was there. But the actual drill was short and sweet, though the fellow demonstrating the life jacket had no idea how to put it on and one at the other end had no idea how to do the actions to coincide with the instruction, he was done with the jacket back off, by the time the announcer had the Velcro pushed together.

Then today went to a presentation on watches, timed to start at 12:00 noon, and they started just before 12:00, of course what time is the captains noon report, so for a few minutes they were talking over each other then had to stop, my question “Why not schedule the talk for 12:15 or 12:30 so not to clash with the daily casts report?” I know just little things, but things you would think they would do better.

Then there is a little lack of attention to cleaning up, a milk container (Little single serve thing) in the corridor for a day or so. A piece of rubbish on the ground in the area behind the windjammer that about five staff stepped over (including a restaurant manager and an officer) without picking it up, or directing someone else to do so. Some spills near the serving station, just not cleaned up as quickly as I would normally expect.

8 January

A sea day, clocks went forward an hour last night.

So a sleep in, then a lazy day doing very little.

Breakfast, very late, in the Windjammer, some shop looking, checked out the very impressive pool tables amazing stuff. Back to our cabin to read, I think we both had a Nanna nap, followed by formal night.

Sounds exciting hey???

But just what the Doctor ordered for us.

Surprisingly few mobility devices, I think I have only seen one scooter, two other power wheelchairs, two manual wheelchairs and maybe half a dozen walking frames.

But also a younger demographic than any other cruise we have done, a lot of teens and families with kids.

3 hours ago, gbenjo said:

No ..not like the "old"days  He actually got no special treatment...unless of course you include the outright privilege of having lunch with me onboard......which goes without saying .🤣🤣

very special, I haven't even had that.

3 hours ago, gbenjo said:

No ..not like the "old"days  He actually got no special treatment...unless of course you include the outright privilege of having lunch with me onboard......which goes without saying .🤣🤣

It was lovely to have a short chat, though later on Mrs G did say “Why did you invite him over?”

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

It was lovely to have a short chat, though later on Mrs G did say “Why did you invite him over?”

And you said......... cause he is the only person that will take the time to talk to me.😱

1 minute ago, gbenjo said:

And you said......... cause he is the only person that will take the time to talk to me.😱

Something like that anyway, but sorry you had to put up with HER to get to spend time with me.

59 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A small complaint.

I so wish ship designers would spend a while in a wheelchair, on Radiance I have noticed the following

1. Narrow corridors with right angle turns that ou with cannot get around or only with great difficulties

2. Lifts you cannot turn a wheelchair around it, but at least they haven’t put stairs directly opposite the lift door, in the past I have seen someone back out of the lift, go half an inch too far and down the stairs backwards with their scooter.

3. Constant pumps in the floor, I understand the fire walls and joins, but in one spot, near the Pool tables (I wanted to check out the gyro scope system and it is impressive) there are about four or five inserts in an otherwise smooth floor, decorative in nature but with a brass edge around it, so each insert means crossing these little bumps twice, each little bump jars the whole body, for most not noticeable for some absolute agony.

Bummer, best to avoid.

32 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Surprisingly few mobility devices, I think I have only seen one scooter, two other power wheelchairs, two manual wheelchairs and maybe half a dozen walking frames.

But also a younger demographic than any other cruise we have done, a lot of teens and families with kids.

A NZ cruise would tend to have that over a Tasmania cruise.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

8 January

A sea day, clocks went forward an hour last night.

So a sleep in, then a lazy day doing very little.

Breakfast, very late, in the Windjammer, some shop looking, checked out the very impressive pool tables amazing stuff. Back to our cabin to read, I think we both had a Nanna nap, followed by formal night.

Sounds exciting hey???

But just what the Doctor ordered for us.

I liked breakfast in the Solarium, much more relaxed. Have you checked it out yet?

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I liked breakfast in the Solarium, much more relaxed. Have you checked it out yet?

Had lunch there the other day, even scored a pie and sausage roll. Plan on trying it for breakfast shortly.