Leaving from New York

Scottycruisin

Hey Gang,

Quick question for any of you that have left from New York.

I am going with my parents (both 80) and i was wondering about embarkation and debarkation.

I was eyeing the priority check in ($179 per cabin) 

Has anyone done this?  Did it significantly speed up your time waiting?  Is it needed?

We will be there early for sure as we are close to NY...so i dont know if i need it but....just wanted to ask 🙂

Thanks!

If you want to sail right thru embarkation,  in general, wait until a few hours after embarkation.    Its usually smooth sailing with no lines if you are willing to wait until early/mid afternoon.    

When you get on board, first thing, make (or change) your dinner reservations and book your shows, many shows onboard you can only book once you are onboard like the dueling pianos, comedians, hypnotist, etc.   These days, those are the best shows anyways.    The NCL productions aren't anything like they used to be when production was done under the Jean Ann Ryan Company.   

• Like 1

If your parents have any mobility issues, you can request wheelchair assistance with boarding. That will prevent them from needing to stand in any lines and will get them right onto the ship (usually after the Haven, VIPs, etc)

Depending on the tide, as with any port area I think,  the gangway can be very steep. 

You need to contact the Access desk to request assistance before the day of the cruise.

I showed up at 1:15 and basically walked right on the Bliss this past Sunday.  In my opinion it’s worth the wait and save the money.  I heard the crowds were pretty bad for those that arrived early.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scottycruisin said:

Hey Gang,

Quick question for any of you that have left from New York.

I am going with my parents (both 80) and i was wondering about embarkation and debarkation.

I was eyeing the priority check in ($179 per cabin) 

Has anyone done this?  Did it significantly speed up your time waiting?  Is it needed?

We will be there early for sure as we are close to NY...so i dont know if i need it but....just wanted to ask 🙂

Thanks!

It will speed you up less than 15 minutes. Priority boarding (suites) starts around 11:00. General boarding starts before 11:30. Paid priority somewhere in between. 

I think the big problem with NYC is the debarkation.  After getting off, navigating the luggage, immigration and then getting out of the building.  Taxi stand is across the busy wide street.  I don't know how private parking or pick up is handled, but the taxi line is looong,  after you get there which is a major undertaking.   We have debarked there twice, once on a nice morning and once at midnight on Halloween weekend.  Yes, the ship was 12 hours delayed.  My husband could not stand in the lines to get off the ship, so we waited till the end (11;30 pm)  and then rather than wait in rain, we took a scab taxi and paid 200 dollars. Makes for a fun story now, but was not a good experience. 

IMHO it's certainly NOT worth the price they're charging!  As several other posters have pointed out it'll speed you up by maybe 15 minutes, tops.  We're Platinum & almost always sail on NCL out of NYC so we get priority embarkation in any event.

You'd be much better off getting to the pier by 130 or so & skipping the initial "crush".  If your parents have mobility issues by all means let NCL know because that'll bump them up in the line to get on board also.

Hope you have a great cruise!

We've embarked from Manhattan four times now with check-in times of 9:30, 10:00, 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.  For each of the morning times, lines were short to reasonable and we boarded before noon; the afternoon time on the Bliss was chaos with half of the check-in counters not manned and huge lines.  We'll stick with the morning times in the future where paying for access is unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, Sean87 said:

I showed up at 1:15 and basically walked right on the Bliss this past Sunday.  In my opinion it’s worth the wait and save the money.  I heard the crowds were pretty bad for those that arrived early.

Curious if parking at the port was still available when arriving this late?  I'd like to arrive around this time to avoid crazy lines but when we sailed on the Escape last February and arrived at 11:15 the lot was almost full.

ParkRight Manhattan Cruise Parking (https://www.manhattancruiseparking.com/) on 43rd street is a really good option, we've used them twice.  You drive to the garage, they get in your car and you drive over to the port, they help you get your luggage out of the car and then they drive your car back to the garage.  They are pretty reasonably priced as well.  When you disembark you call them, they bring the car to you and help you put your luggage in the car.  They meet you across the street from the cruise terminal.

Edited by Redsky5292

On 1/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, Sean87 said:

I am going on the Pearl out Manhatten. Some have told me that I can walk into the cruise terminal at 12th and 50th street. Now on the Norwegian site the directions say to arrive at 55th street. Are these directions if you are driving or does everyone need to go to 55th street to check in? I am not sure where to tell the cab driver to let me off. 

45 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

I am going on the Pearl out Manhatten. Some have told me that I can walk into the cruise terminal at 12th and 50th street. Now on the Norwegian site the directions say to arrive at 55th street. Are these directions if you are driving or does everyone need to go to 55th street to check in? I am not sure where to tell the cab driver to let me off. 

The vehicle entrance is at 55th Street.  Police will be directing traffic in the terminal and your cabbie will have no problem dropping you off in the correct place. Tell the driver you are going to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.